Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Modifying Trailer Shell Size

we are thinking of shortening a spartan trailer shell....

could you please post links to your favorite shell modification threads...

as in it was 34 ft.... and now look.... its 10 ft long... here is what was done

thanks

lee

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That is a new one on me. Never heard of anyone ever doing that.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
CHIEF THINGAMAJIG FIXER

1964 26' Overlander
bugtussel , South Carolina
Why would you want to? Spartans are becoming more sought after than airstreams and their are way fewer of those old beauties around. If you want a smaller trailer sell that one and buy a smaller one. I pull vintage campers for a living and that is almost entirely what I have been moving for people in the last 3 months. I just took a 43ft. to Indianapolis last week and am taking another 43 to Concord Cali. week after Christmas. PLEASE don't destroy one of those old beauties.
Bugtussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Modifying Trailer Shell Size

It has been done before but it is a tremendous amount of work. There is more to the task than simply shortening the shell and frame. Remember balance and proportioning are two big factors that come into play, so this often requires shortening both ends rather than one if you want to end up with a normal looking, towable rig. This gets more complicated when a rear bath is involved.

I would suggest pursuing a smaller rig if that is your ultimate goal.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
we bought a 37 foot mansion last week and after 11 hours of welding new a frame and hitch area... new tires and rims.... 100 yards down the road and frame broke in 2 places... abandoning it is not a question.... so the question becomes... how to make the most of a bad situation.... this trailer is called a double ender and looks cool.... in order to move i will have to trailer the shell and frame home to be worked on... i want to save the 2 ends and remove some of the center... maybe 20-25 foot would be new length... skin is in great condition... inside was going to be a gut job anyway....

so frame broke and passenger side of shell dropped about 8 inches full length.... it will get new axles and balance will not be a problem... the trailer is in a park about 100 miles away...

PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Old 11-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields View Post
we bought a 37 foot mansion last week and after 11 hours of welding new a frame and hitch area... new tires and rims.... 100 yards down the road and frame broke in 2 places... abandoning it is not a question.... so the question becomes... how to make the most of a bad situation.... this trailer is called a double ender and looks cool.... in order to move i will have to trailer the shell and frame home to be worked on... i want to save the 2 ends and remove some of the center... maybe 20-25 foot would be new length... skin is in great condition... inside was going to be a gut job anyway....

so frame broke and passenger side of shell dropped about 8 inches full length.... it will get new axles and balance will not be a problem... the trailer is in a park about 100 miles away...
Caveat Emptor...

See post #8 from a few years ago. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tml#post764729

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
i always buy with open eyes.... but its hard to tell the seller.... i want to pull the belly pan and check the frame before i pay you.... in place for almost 60 years as best as we can tell

.... it was a 300 dollar buy....so i dont mind spending some to fix it up... if i get 10 grand into it... it should turn out pretty well...i will do most of the work myself in the driveway...i have tools but will need MORE...time tools and money... all always in short supply

PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How about this?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...eam-31076.html

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote