Old 05-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #421
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello millertime in California. Glad you're settled enough to think about the Trade Wind. I'm sure every free hour is a premium in your busy house.

The Trade Wind is a mid-sized trailer where floor space is a premium. The Globe Trotter has a corner bath that saves floor space. However, it is a above floor black tank. I installed a shower in my 66 Trade Wind. I sure wish I had not "wasted" the floor space on a shower. Maybe an outdoor shower to rinse sandy feet would have been good enough. Most campgrounds have a bath house. My Trade Wind is a twin bed model where "hammocks" could be hung over the beds if the overhead lockers were removed. And my front gaucho makes into a reasonable bed. I have the wall mount flip up table that can serve as a place to eat and play games on a rainy afternoon. I use folding chairs for seating opposite the gaucho. Just ideas that may prompt your thinking.

Designing an interior is much fun. Airstream is very good at small space efficient designs. We walked through some new Airstreams last month and the interiors were very well done in my view. New Airstreams may give you some additional ideas.

David

Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #422
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Thanks David, great suggestions as always!

So tonight I temporarily hooked up the Intellipower converter and did some DC system checks. All looking good so far! I hooked up temporarily a couple of the dual LED overheads that will go in (planning for 3 ,one in front, center, and back), they also look good. I might add in another 2 near the front to ensure adequate light for cooking and meal/entertaining.

So I have one of those great moments in a rebuild when I FINALLY get to power up my new
Fantastic vents. I installed them back in like August and am just now getting to see them in action. I bought 2 of the 6000 series with the rain sensor. So I call out my wife to see.... It's raining for the first time in a month out here in San Diego so isn't thrilled. She walks in looks around at the mess and says "you called me out here for THAT?" I am still standing beside the fan beaming as I demonstrate it's automated opening and closing..... I guess she wasn't as excited as I was lol.

2 more circuits to just confirm good voltage and it's on to paint prep!

Pictures to follow tomorrow perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind

Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #423
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Ok so I have started painting the interior. After reading many threads I decided on Krylon Fusion, which has proven to work well on the vinyl covered interior walls of our trailers.

I am estimating 25 cans to get good coverage on all the trailer. Keep in mind mine is totally gutted so I am painting everything except the overhead center strip which I am replacing with bare aluminum. Best place to get it appears to be Ace hardware, they can order as much as you want in a few days. Amazon has good prices on 6 packs but they are out of stock.

When painting I put a box fan in the door blowing outward and the overhead vents open. I wear a respirator from Harbor Freight which works great. Expect to get spraypaint dust on everything from the enclosed space,

I have put about 11 cans down and am happy with the results. Coverage is decent and I really like the easy press nozzle and adjustable pattern.

Question for the group on flooring. I am leaning towards Allure Ultra Vinyl Plank flooring. After I finish painting I am thinking floors are next. Should I go wall to wall or leave a 6-12" gap near the edges under cabinets, et for ease of inspecting for leaks?

I would hate for an undetected leak to get under the floor, but with a floating floor not sure if I could leave a gap.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #424
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Matt, I also used the Allure Vinyl click-together (which hardly ever actually clicks together) and just went up about a quarter inch from the cabinets and stuff. I trimmed it out with 3/4" by 1/16" aluminum angle. My stuff starts at post 25 of this thread. I can still check under most - well, OK, at least a couple - of the cabinets for leaks.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #425
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I put a click together vinyl floor in my Trade Wind and was somewhat disappointed. I used a click together type as I had good luck with the cork floor in the 86 Limited. But this lock together design was not robust enough to give a solid joint. Further, vinyl has quite a coefficient of expansion, so I get gaps in those weak joints in cold weather. And the vinyl floor was heaver than I expected. I do think it will last a long time.

It is a floating floor. So I would build your cabinets and bulkhead walls first, then lay the floor up to the cabinet with about 1/4" gap to allow for the expansion. You can cut pieces to place under your cabinets if you want. You will use a quarter round or some type of piece to hide the gap.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405 Floor Covering Install Goucho.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	239531  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #426
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Thanks David, good advice.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433824723.981439.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	240294

Late night shot, just finished with the krylon fusion in gloss white. Went through 19-20 cans for my
25' trailer. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Will get some day photos soon. Next up is sanding and painting the interior window trim, new screen material, and designing the rear bunks

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433824873.866934.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	240295

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #427
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Looking good. What color are you going to do the trim and screens in? I redid the screens with a finish that mimics a silver flake or textured aluminum look and recently redid the front trim around the curved windows. I like a bit of contrast so something different from the white would be my vote. Replacing the screening is easy too, just pick up the roller tool for the spline when you get the new material.

I put down a loose lay vinyl from Shaw. Its designed to go down without glue, though I ended up using some of their adhesive which is fairly benign as far as holding power goes (if you have to pull it up, it wont put up much resistance). Came out pretty nice, time will tell how it does with the change of temps.

Good luck with the rest of the job. I think finishing out the interior is the most fun part. You can really start to see the result of all the hard work.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #428
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Your trailer is looking very nice! I will keep thinking on the flooring and look into loose lay vinyl as an option. With regards to trim color it's up to my boss (5'2" red hair, pretty woman, mother of my children, that boss) to make the call on color, but I like the silver you went with, very sharp.

I have been trying to get in touch with Colin Hyde to order one of his metal endcap kits, but haven't heard back yet. Figure I better get the rear one in before I build the bunks.

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #429
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Got some work done today! First off I pulled out all the interior window trim, sanded them relatively smooth(I could have done more but time is money), then painted everything a clean white as per bosses instructions. Her plan is to keep the palette simple, although I did petition for silver/aluminum for the trim color .

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434416657.863036.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	240746

The interior is now swept out of all the spray paint dust and ready for the center panel to be cut.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434416704.462637.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	240747

The original center panel ran the full length of the trailer and was a bear to remove. With that in mind I am planning to cut my new clean aluminum sheet into 2 sections to facilitate an easier installation. Part of that project will be adding 4 new overhead LED lights, you can see one of them tucked under the wiring in the above photo.

After that I will be fabricating metal endcaps so stay tuned, I might need some help!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434417640.471065.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	240750

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #430
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Finished all the power checks for my future overhead LEDs tonight and started on getting the air conditioner interior components back in place. As a stroke of bad luck, or because 'someone' may have used the interior control panel to give him an extra set of hands when putting in the upper interior skins by himself, the 3 long bolts that attach the interior vents/controls are all bent. No time tonight to see if the local big box has something that will work.

The wood framing around the A/C hole was originally attached with Sikaflex as the residue is hard, white, and only coming off with a scraper. This stuff doesn't soften with anything I have on hand. Anyways with some scraping the wood framing is relatively good enough to go back up and do it's job of providing support between the inner skin and the A/C on the outside and the vents and controls on the inside, sandwiched together by said bent bolts, but I digress....

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434606451.798594.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	240987

Munch munch munch.....

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #431
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Ok! Got 1/3 of the new overhead installed along with 2 of the 4 led lights. I am very happy with the light they put out, with the other 2 in the front the trailer will have plenty of lighting. Since they are dual element also they can be tuned down for different mood lighting (with 3 kids I don't see this being a very often used option lol)

A couple of tips for cutting the overhead. The original was 24 1/2 inches wide (thanks a LOT Airstream considering most aluminum is sold at 48 inches, lots of potential waste). I will use the extra for the metal endcaps so no worries. Ensure that you cut them the same width, I took off about 1/8-1/4 inch thinking they would slide easier, which they did. However they are designed to sort of spring into an upward curve and if they sit loose then the panels are flat, which is minor, but can make the trim around the fantastic fans have a little gap.

I had some aluminum that had sat out in the CA sun for a few months with the protective sheeting still on them. DO NOT DO THIS! The sheeting broke down in the sun and wouldn't pull off without tearing every oh.... 1/16 of an inch, and also leaving behind the adhesive which I have to goo gone off the panel. Saved me a few bucks but what a pain. Keep your beloved aluminum under cover

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434783058.052999.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	241127

Hope to post the other half sometime this week. Thanks for reading!

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #432
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
My 66 "old style" Trade Wind doesn't have this wire way in the ceiling. The 12v and 115v wiring are strung through the walls and ribs. I can sure see how having the wiring run the length of the ceiling, and then radiating down to the fixtures makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the tip on the protective plastic on sheet aluminum getting baked on in the sunshine. I wouldn't have guessed that one.

David
Old 06-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #433
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Got the other half of the new overhead cut and installed today. I cut this one true to width at 24 1/2 in and with a little WD40 in the tracks it went in without too much trouble.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1435722025.180900.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	241990

Oh I also started putting new screen material into the screen frames. I went with a 'solar screen' from HD and here are my initial thoughts. For one it is very thick and thus durable to young hands pushing on them, big plus. The solar blocking is also a plus from a shade perspective, even if it's inside versus outside which is more effective. The biggest downside is that due to the thicker material you MUST use the thinnest spline you can find. Here is the pro tip though, learn from me on this one. Roll the screen into the groove first, then roll in the spline, the screen is thick enough to stay in the groove and the spline goes in MUCH easier with this process versus all at once spline and screen.

Next up is the metal rear endcap project once I get the ceiling trimmed out, hoping it works out

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #434
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Good tip on the screen install. I didn't see the solar screen material, I just used old fashioned aluminum. Yep, the screens install easier if you run the roller in the groove first to "form" the screen to the groove. This was especially nice with my metal aluminum screen material. Splines come in all kinds of sizes. I measured the groove width and went with that. I think I used .120 in the windows and .165 or something like that for the door.

Your overhead "wire way" looks good. Glad you got it up there okay. Another step done on your trailer.

I got my new fridge installed last weekend. IT WORKS! I had to chase down a couple of propane leaks. I also tested the new water heater and furnace. It's the first time my trailer has seen hot water in years. Now I'm working on a new slide in cook top. That's the last appliance. My Trade Wind's maiden voyage is the first of August. I have a lot to do before then.

We keep plugging away.

David