Old 01-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #407
1 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
David,

We are very proud of the work you and your family have accomplished and that you shared with all of us. It has been inspiring! We also bought more than what we bargained for and hope to get her up to snuff. I read the whole thread and it was like I was reading a book. I learned a lot as I read. God Bless you guys and keep you safe as you move to a new place. If you ever figure out what the white caulky stuff is that came embedded in the channel that holds the black plastic wheel well covers let me know. I feel that it was good water proofing and it kept for 37 years so I don't mind going back with it.
freon

Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #408
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay swabby you must be one stealthy dude cuz nobody has spotted you yet! I know that you will make it just fine and that once settled in you will continue the adventure! Smooth sailing to ya sir and may your future adventures be great ones!
Cliff

Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 AM   #409
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Had my first minor bottoming out experience last night.

We stayed the night at the Blue Swallow in Tumucari. Very cool place and one of the last surviving Route 66 motels. The couple that owns the place is great. Each room has a small attached garage and they have these heaters in the room that go " tink tink tink" as they cool down. Sort of sounds like rain and is strangely relaxing.

Anyways, departing the motel it has a high peak on the road at the entrance/exit. Did my best approach but not much room to depart on an angle, but my WD bars drug just a bit on one side. Lesson learned, if you suspect you might drag remove your bars!

Real kicker was when I hopped out to check where we drug my TV was in park but just missed the sensor position that indicates park on the dash. The result? Once my butt left the seat the truck alarm went off. Doesn't everyone love flashing lights and a horn going off to let the world know you just screwed up?

Classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #410
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Better to bottom out on the front than in the back. When I leave the hitch on the back of the Excursion, it is common for it to bottom out when parking up a hill or something. I am more worried about digging a hole in the pavement. It is an old hitch that is solid steel. I did a tail drag one time leaving a gas station. I don't stop at that one anymore. The trailers that have rear end separation are the ones that will be hurt from bottoming out.

Perry
Old 01-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #411
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
I'm missing your progress reports. Time to get back at it. I've got to update you on my progress. Been chomping at the elephant. I've been bad at posting though.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #412
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I've bottomed out before in the front. If you are going slow, the hitch is HD enough not to bother it more than scraping a bit of paint. More embarrassing than anything else.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #413
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Millertime's rear bathroom rot '76 Tradewind thread

Just geting unpacked here in SD, found a good rental with trailer parking! And the driveway is long enough the wife gets a good driveway spot also, I park on the street.

Got approached by a guy who wanted to shine my trailer, price was $100/ft if the clearcoat was removed. Tempting once the tax return comes back , but there is still a LOT to do.

Swahealy fill us in on your progress brother, I will need the motivation!

This SD weather is rediculous, it's dry, mild, and barely ever rains. The Stream is smiling just thinking about a few years out here

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 AM   #414
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
San Diego has nearly perfect weather. We hope to visit there some day. The weather here isn't perfect. I'm polishing my Trade Wind here in the great frozen north. Lucky I rent a heated garage space. Polish is such mind numbing work! I've got 25 hours in it so far and I'm not even half done with the first pass! I've got three passes to do. I've spent about $200 on materials.

At $100 a foot I suppose someone thinks they can stand behind that polisher for about $20 an hour. If a person has zero "overhead" you could come out okay at that price. If I was offered that price to do my trailer, I would be tempted. I don't like polishing! Just way too boring.

And when I get it done, I will have continual re-polish sessions to remove all the different types of stains that develop on a polished Airstream. My 86 is overdue for a re-polish. Ugh!

David
Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #415
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Matt. Time to get back at it. I'm gonna post my progress pictures next week. Wondering how things are going for you.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #416
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Agreed! Things have finally settled down and the Stream is happily parked in the driveway awaiting the next phase.

Next phase is to finish up electrical, need to check all the 12V systems prior to buttoning up the overhead.

Next is to paint the entire interior, still not sure on which brand of paint etc. Was considering paying a pro to come in and spray it after I prep.

After paint it's either new metal endcaps a la Colin Hyde's kits or I will start on bunk beds in the back.

Thanks for the push, time to get moving again . Look forward to your update.

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #417
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Millertime's rear bathroom rot '76 Tradewind thread

Paint?

I highly encourage the use of DuPont Industrial Imron,

It is very durable, it covers like mad, and is relatively cheap at about $130 a gallon with activator.

It will brush or roll on and level out very nice. No special skills required...

Like I said it covers great,,, a gallon would probably do the entire interior of your trailer if you are careful.

Once the urethane binds up, there are no lingering odors. (A couple or a few days)

I am actually shocked that this paint hasn't caught on with the "do it yourself" crowd. It is an amazing product. Put over a properly prepared surface on the inside of a trailer this would be a "forever" paint.

http://s245.photobucket.com/user/JMD...hop/Imron%2035

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #418
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I hope you are going to paint the inside panels outside the trailer. If they are in the trailer, I would not use car paint because of the solvent hazard. There is no way to ventilate such a small space and not breath or absorb these dangerous solvents through the skin. I would wear a carbon canister mask and cover all exposed skin even working outside with these solvents. Many folks have had good luck with latex house paint although I would worry they might peal off from the vinyl coating. Talk to Minno (Chris and Kay) about painting the interior.

Perry
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #419
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Painted with a roller and brush, an open door and open windows will move enough air.

This paint is not car paint but an industrial paint, the solvent is slower to evaporate than car paint.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #420
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Thanks for the advice gents! I have been doing a lot of reading (and admiring) of Skatiero's posts on their Excella bunkhouse. While this Tradewind isn't as large, I am hoping to add as much sleeping quarters as I can.

Current overall layout for the currently we are thinking a rear corner bath roadside and a double bunk streetside with another single bunk across the back perhaps to sleep 3 in the back (have 3 kids currently), then again perhaps we could do Skatiero's triple bunk and leave the rear window clear. Perhaps a hidden trundle bed under the lowest single that pulls across the floor for even more space?

Time to set some timelines, goal to have electrical and interior paint done by end of next month!

76 'Airstream Tradewind