Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #225
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Make sure every other cross member is lowered by 3/4 inch to accommodate the bracing beneath the sub-floor. My welder forgot to do that...and it caused some headaches.

Take a tape measure or a ball of string with you, so you can check the squareness of the frame.

And there should be a small space under the main frame rails and the axel mount, to accommodate the belly pan sheet sliding in between. Otherwise, you will have to cut out around the axel mount....(pia).

Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #226
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
Make sure every other cross member is lowered by 3/4 inch to accommodate the bracing beneath the sub-floor. My welder forgot to do that...and it caused some headaches.

Take a tape measure or a ball of string with you, so you can check the squareness of the frame.

And there should be a small space under the main frame rails and the axel mount, to accommodate the belly pan sheet sliding in between. Otherwise, you will have to cut out around the axel mount....(pia).

I am a little confused on this one. Every other crossmember should be 3/4 inch lower to accommodate bracing below the subfloor. As I recall all crossmembers were level with the main rails. What am I missing here?

Hoping he noticed the gap for the belly pan also.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind

Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #227
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Matt, you might want to google "weld inspection;" I'll bet there's some pictures of good weld and bad welds.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #228
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't understand the every other cross member thing either.

Perry
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #229
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On my sovereign there were at least a few cross members that are dropped in the center of the frame to allow for a double layer of plywood.

I didn't do a frame off so I only looked at this in passing where I had the last sheet of plywood off the frame.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #230
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Swabby just look it over at the seams and weld points they should all look uniform and without small pinholes or bubbles! Look at the welds on line (YouTube) and make a mental comparison if they look the same then pay the man and take it home because you know checking quality and questioning ability are real close and you may need him again! Tell the chef that he did not use enough salt and you just might end up with the squirts!

When you get it home go CSI on the frame and take it back if there are glitches but mark any defects with a crayon or visible marker!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #231
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
The purpose for the 3/4in drop on every other cross rail (between the main rails) is so you can span the joints of the sub-floor with a 4in wide piece of sub-floor which is then glued and screwed to the bottom of the new sub-floor from underneath, thereby strengthening the seam...eliminating movement. Maybe your '76 is different than my '72. If so, I don't mean to misdirect you. I'll try to attach a pic here to demonstrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	220202  
Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
My 66 Trade Wind had a few dropped cross members. I understand this was to accommodate the floor joints. I heard them called spline joints. It is a piece of 1/2 plywood about 8" wide that overlap (underlap?) the floor joint to add strength. The area under the floor where I mounted my waste water tanks was one of these overlap joints. I had to add 1/2 plywood material to make a flat mounting surface for my tanks. The cross members are likely 1/2" shorter in these joint areas and thus do not sit level with the top of the frame member.

Here is a photo of what I mean. See the overlap joint to the left in the photo.

If your new frame was built without this consideration I would not panic. There are other ways to join the plywood sub floor sections together to make a strong joint. Tongue and groove, metal splicers, etc.

David

Opps... Arktos beat me with the answer and photo. He has a very good picture of the situation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks Subfloor Ready.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	220203  
Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 AM   #233
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
You got a DEAL!

Hi Matt-Just got our last bid in, second one out of three welders. The one who didn't bid asked us if it wouldn't be easier to find a trailer in better shape (!) and then decided he 'couldn't find the metal'. Yeah, thanks so much.

The other two guys were great, one in particular seemed very interested in the project. He has done some ah-MAZ-ing work on vintage boats and bomber restorations and he's my guy!

Re: the bids - we are WAY over what you paid, and just for the frame replacement (no extras like tanks/wheel wells/axle installation). The two bids were less than $100 apart, they bid about 40 hours in labor. So good for you, not so great for us. That's California for you. And I hate to say it but we are fortunate have a large, nice home so that never helps with contractors

Regardless- we are moving forward and thanks also again for your detailed thread. It's so nice to have someone one step ahead of us! I referred my husband to your thread and he stayed up until 2:00 am to finish it.

Looking forward to hearing about the great re-joining of frame and body!

Laurel (and Todd) in Loomis, CA
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #234
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Millertime's rear bathroom rot '76 Tradewind thread

Matt got a great price for his frame build, it will be hard for anyone anywhere to have a frame professionally built for near this price.

I know about what the steel alone is going to cost, there isn't a whole lot left for labor.

Remember we live in a time where a number two at Burger King costs ten bucks, and California is not really a business friendly place these days.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #235
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1409413541.483138.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	954.2 KB
ID:	220254

First look! Looks great very excited

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #236
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
That looks awesome!

I am happy for you.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Awesome looking frame

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
On my trailer they used corrugated nails to draw the seams together on the plywood sub floor. Some folks have created lap joints by rabbiting them together. You cut half the thickness away on each section so they overlap. You can also do something similar with twice the thickness by adding a small strip to bridge the two board but this requires the crossmembers to be dropped. I added extra width to the crossmember so each panel had its own support. This something the welder would have to add.

Rabbet Joints with a Router | Articles | Woodworkers Journal

Perry