Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
measuring floor

Floor gone soI have no template for rear floor.I am in the process of cutting a piece of thin luan for a rear floor pattern for tank hole etc..
I have measured 87 1/2x 48in. across the frame.How do I take the measurement for the curves on both sides?
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i would take a piece of big brown paper, lay it out and use your fingers to push the paper into the curve of the trailer and then trace the 'dent' in the paper. trim the paper,go back and fill in w/ more paper or trim where it needs to be trimmed and then lay it out on the luan.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Using the paper pattern technique above, get is close to the right fit. Then place it in the trailer and scoot it as close to the back as possible. Then take a compass (for drawing circles, point on one end and pencil on the other) and hold it with the point against the rear wall keeping it (the compass) parallel to the length of the trailer. Follow the rear will with the point and the pencil will make an exact copy of the wall offset onto your luan. You can then trim this to a perfect fit. It's the same technique used for fitting counter tops to walls in homes.

Using the luan for pattern making is a good idea, too.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Using the paper pattern technique above, get is close to the right fit. Then place it in the trailer and scoot it as close to the back as possible. Then take a compass (for drawing circles, point on one end and pencil on the other) and hold it with the point against the rear wall keeping it (the compass) parallel to the length of the trailer. Follow the rear will with the point and the pencil will make an exact copy of the wall offset onto your luan. You can then trim this to a perfect fit. It's the same technique used for fitting counter tops to walls in homes.

Using the luan for pattern making is a good idea, too.
Great,Now if I can find all my school supplies from 3rd grade for a compass.I did the paper and got almost perfect.Now is the curve in front same as the back?The luan is great as it just slides in.I can then mark all my holes for BT and transfer to 3/4.Thanks
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We found all four "corners" of ours to be different~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We found all four "corners" of ours to be different~

Shari
Absolutely, they are not identical.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote