Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
musicmaster's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 101
Images: 10
Hey man I know the feeling. I bought a 76 sovereign from a guy in Ga. It was our family's first camper. I thought I inspected it fairly well, it appeared in good condition, heck the guy was even keeping it inside. When I got it home the electric tongue jack lifted the trailer about half stroke and then started slipping, had to repair jack.Then I noticed the inside lights seemed a little dim, checked the voltage, 8v, had to replace the converter. Next I noticed the water pump cycled off and on even with the faucets closed, found small split in copper line. Could not repair becouse entire section of pipe was swollen from freezing and new fittings would not fit. Replaced all copper in trailer with new pex.
About two weeks after we brought it home we took it camping, all systems seemed to work well now, no plumbing leaks, good a/c, bath ok, then it rained one afternoon and we found out why he kept it inside, P/O had covered the busted exterior skylight plastics with duct tape on all of them. I also found a soft spot beside the toilet.
When we got home I gutted the bath to repair the floor, as I proceeded to remove
belly wraps for access I found the dreaded rust, the more I removed themore I found.
Now fastfoward about six weeks. The trailer is gutted, the shell is on blocks, the frame is at the welders getting cloned, the POR in waiting and the nyloboard is ordered.
I've had poeple tell me I should have bought a newer camper, for the money I'm spending I could of had a lot nicer camper. Maybe I could have and maybe I should have, but I couldn't just throw it away. I can't afford to lose what I put in it and I'm not one to pass along problems to someone else. So I suck it up, do what I got to do and do it best it can be done.
PS:Thanks to everyone here on the forum for info and encouragement as I progress toward an 1976/2011 Airstream.
__________________

__________________
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
We are just getting ready to buy a 1972 31' International, rear bath, clean skin, everything works, new converter, battery, hot water heater, rest is stock. Looks to good to be true. I have gone though the trailer with the check list off this web site. Is there anything I should look out for in the 72 models made in Calif....?
1974 and older Airstream axles had the incorrect composition rubber rods in them, that led to typically an early failure.

Long term storage, also has a negative effect on the rubber rods.

There is a "axle article" in the Airstream Central portion of this forums that will help you check them out in less than a minute.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Musicmaster: Take the address and email for the guy who sold you the pig-in-a-poke, and sign him up for all the spam, cons and "marketing" you can find. Every timeshare and gym membership drawing, etc. Print the info up on Avery labels so you can easily slap it down on those lead-generation giveaway cards every time you see one.

It's not as bad as he deserves, but you might get some pleasure from it.
__________________
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #32
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Whoa DKB I would hate to get on your bad side. Musicmaster did not say that the PO misrepresented himself as to the condition of the A/S just that you never know what you are getting into with a 34yr old trailer. A lot of PO's do not want to fix it right so you can find a lot of tempoary fixes and the frame/floor issue can not be inspected properly without dropping the pan. Cut the PO some slack unless musicmaster says he intentionally ripped him off. Then hit him with both barrels.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #33
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Whoa DKB I would hate to get on your bad side. Musicmaster did not say that the PO misrepresented himself as to the condition of the A/S just that you never know what you are getting into with a 34yr old trailer. A lot of PO's do not want to fix it right so you can find a lot of tempoary fixes and the frame/floor issue can not be inspected properly without dropping the pan. Cut the PO some slack unless musicmaster says he intentionally ripped him off. Then hit him with both barrels.
I'd consider giving the PO a pass on the shell leakage if he just happened to have had it inside every time it rained, but from the description, the converter was already dead, it's unlikely the PO didn't know about the burst water lines, I'm guessing the jack was already dead or on its way out too.

If the PO inherited the trailer or something, I'll offer a public apology, but it sounds like misrepresentation unless the PO had a reason to know nothing about the trailer.
__________________
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
 
musicmaster's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 101
Images: 10
The PO had actually owned the camper for a couple of years, said he camped in it regularly. When I originaly talked to him on the phone I asked about leaks, he said he had repaired all the window leaks. When I got there I went inside first to inspect, I ran the water, poked the floor, tested the potty, fridge and A/C. Then I went outside
checked the tires, step area, tongue,WH and lights, some lights didn't work but I saw that. I even saw water on his shop floor at the bumper under the rear bath and asked about it. He had a garden hose laying beside the puddle and said he spilled it after filling the fresh water tank. I took him at his word as he seemed forthcoming in his description. After finding the problems I tried to call him, no answer, left messege, no results. I was going to ask if he would consider a partial refund to help with repairs.
Live And Learn
__________________
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #35
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Well my apologies DKB. Like I said hit him with both barrels. Have you considered suing. I think you won't get far though because it will be a case of he said you said.
Musicmaster I posted regarding changing tanks in your other thread. I forgot to attach the pics but will do it now.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster View Post
The PO had actually owned the camper for a couple of years, said he camped in it regularly. When I originaly talked to him on the phone I asked about leaks, he said he had repaired all the window leaks. When I got there I went inside first to inspect, I ran the water, poked the floor, tested the potty, fridge and A/C. Then I went outside
checked the tires, step area, tongue,WH and lights, some lights didn't work but I saw that. I even saw water on his shop floor at the bumper under the rear bath and asked about it. He had a garden hose laying beside the puddle and said he spilled it after filling the fresh water tank. I took him at his word as he seemed forthcoming in his description. After finding the problems I tried to call him, no answer, left messege, no results. I was going to ask if he would consider a partial refund to help with repairs.
Live And Learn
Did the previous owner tell you anything about the axle condition?

If they are not serviceable, then that's even more to confront him with.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
 
musicmaster's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 101
Images: 10
Andy, The axles do need to be replaced. Even now, with nothing but the rusty frame on them, they are at zero angle. I dicided to wait until I was finished with the restoration, since it will be heavier than before. Then weigh it and order the correct axles.
__________________
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster View Post
Andy, The axles do need to be replaced. Even now, with nothing but the rusty frame on them, they are at zero angle. I dicided to wait until I was finished with the restoration, since it will be heavier than before. Then weigh it and order the correct axles.
Your original axles were rated at 3200 pounds.

Kicking them up to 3500 later would be OK.

However, since you are down to the frame, if you want to kick them up to 4000 pounds, then you should beef up the frame a little, as it would never be easier than when the shell is off.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member
 
musicmaster's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 101
Images: 10
Hey Andy, check out my frame picture under converting rear bath. I decided to go with box tubing for the entire length of the trailer. I was told it should increase frame strength by about 40%. Any other suggestionswould be appreciated. I'll put up more pictures as things progress in the coming days.
__________________
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster View Post
Hey Andy, check out my frame picture under converting rear bath. I decided to go with box tubing for the entire length of the trailer. I was told it should increase frame strength by about 40%. Any other suggestionswould be appreciated. I'll put up more pictures as things progress in the coming days.
I don't know about the 40 percent.

You might consider adding a few more outriggers, adding more rivets to the front hold down plate, and beefing up the rear hold down area.

The shell holds the frame up, therefore a beefed up frame must have additional fasteners holding it to the shell, especially at the rear end.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Way to Visually Identify Problems with Frame? Frank&Mike Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 15 01-22-2009 01:59 PM
Major floor problems augier Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 5 01-07-2009 02:26 PM
Major frame rust? wannaroam Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 6 10-04-2006 08:28 AM
HELP frame problems any ideas???? 1stimer Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 20 01-19-2004 06:10 PM
First Major Excursion Jabba Our Community 3 07-29-2003 05:14 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.