Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I am no longer an active member. At least I don't think I am.
Just give me few years.

Walk lightly, and try to step on the cross members.
Don't hang anything on the rear bumper.
We are all here for you.
EXACTLY!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #102
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
I'm a distant active member but not for floor issues per-se -- mine are wall issues! Of course mine are NOT on an Airstream but an '85 class C Lazy Daze. Not only has it had water leaks in a few choice places but some local termites also setup home at some point and started chowing down on a few wall studs (which of course on these models are -- umm.. wood!).. I'm currently removing & replacing ALL windows (LD's use Hehr windows -- same as AS albeit different models) with brand new "D" gaskets (to replace the old dated butyl rubber stuff that needs servicing every 5 years) to keep the water out.. Of course when you remove the windows you get to see what's hiding beneath.

In our case we've 3 windows that needed new wood to re-create the required sandwich to allow the windows to seal properly and to be water tight. It's definitely a work in progress.. If you wish to see what I'm doing feel free to checkout the blog with photos.. I still enjoy watching what you all are doing as most of it is more involved than what I've done so far -- although a few stud that need replacement are in my near term future.
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It Sounds Like You Have the "Right Stuff"...

to join our select organization. We hope you find your Airstream and rescue it from the PO soon, before its floor gets any worse from the lack of your attention.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
What does/did a thorough inspection of the removed toilet reveal? I saw a plastic fatigue crack in a hideen place on the one I threw away...
Wabbiteer
Thanks I have been way to close to the fitting with my face and a good magnifying glass. (it is actually fairly clean in there and no smell.) It looks like all is good there. If I can figure out how to replace the floor with out having to remove the flange from the tank I will be happy. It looks like the leak was coming from the vent on the roof,. once I removed the medicine cabinet I could see where the water had left marks down the wall. Any suggestions on how to re-floor the bathroom will be appreciated.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Walk lightly, and try to step on the cross members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I am no longer an active member. At least I don't think I am.
Just give me few years.

Walk lightly, and try to step on the cross members.
Don't hang anything on the rear bumper.
We are all here for you.
Making some progress, currently the cross members are the only options for walking. Most of the outriggers look good, I think there is one that needs to be replaced. Not as bad as I had feared.

I am thinking that the winter is not the time I should have started this project. It is getting harder to get home after work and still have 15 min of daylight to work. But we must continue so we can go camping as soon as spring begins to pop.

Thanks to all for their support, especially to HiHoAGRV for starting this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-08_06-59-20_827.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	144866  

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Making some progress, ...I am thinking that the winter is not the time I should have started this project. It is getting harder to get home after work and still have 15 min of daylight to work. But we must continue so we can go camping as soon as spring begins to pop...
Perhaps it will help you if I point out that the bulk of my work was also done during the short days. Most of it can be done with interior lighting. I make a master list of things that can be done in the small amount of time after work/in the dark as well as a list of things that require daylight/long days. This helps prioritize things and also lets me keep thing moving by jumping on a small task when I don't have time for a big one.

This type of list has become VERY important in keeping this project moving forward...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #107
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Perhaps it will help you if I point out that the bulk of my work was also done during the short days. Most of it can be done with interior lighting. I make a master list of things that can be done in the small amount of time after work/in the dark as well as a list of things that require daylight/long days. This helps prioritize things and also lets me keep thing moving by jumping on a small task when I don't have time for a big one.

This type of list has become VERY important in keeping this project moving forward...
Great advice! Lets see if I can follow it....
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post

Yes, I'll second that notion. I only get an average of one equivalent day of daylight per week now to work on the trailer, but with careful planning I can get the minimum tasks done then (like polishing installation spots, bucking rivets, etc.) The rest is done after work, 2-3 hours every other day. Some cheap utility lights are a great investment, if you don't already have a bunch. I use 2 hanging and 1 floor light, and the side benefit is it heats up the trailer pretty quick too.

Good luck!!!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I actually have 4 catagories for this project...

Cheap daytime, cheap night (for activities where I don't have to buy stuff)

Buy daytime, buy night...

I try REALLY hard to not do the night time stuff during the day...

It turns the project into a giant check list.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #110
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
My 1993 Airstream Classic 34' had those issues !! I replaced the first few feet ,across the front section.
I'm going to have to go back further. I have floor rot at both sofa arm rest sections. I know what your going through.
This time I will be removing the a/c inverter to completely replace the further back section.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #111
JGS
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Saint Augustine , Florida
Does anyone know of a template or drawing for a 67 sovreign rear bath frame support. Most of the rear frame under the bathroom is gone. I rigged a temorary fix to tow the newly purchased trailer home but need to know what metals thickness and design were originally used so I can duplicate it rather than guessing. Thanks John in South Carolina.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor repair, osb