Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Bethany , Oklahoma
Long-term Parking, bad stabilizers, old tires!?!

Newbie here. I'm looking to park my 1973 29'Ambassador for MONTHS at a time. The tires are road-worthy, but old! OF the original 4 stabilizers, only front-curbside and back-roadside stabilizers are there, but only the back one works. (front is very broken-off)

I'm thinking I'd like to use jacks (or jack stands??) in strategic places to take some pressure off the tires since i'm parking longer term. is that a good idea? where do i put the jacks? Do i need to remove the broken stabilizer?

Any input on this would be very helpful!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Stabilizers on an Airstream are just that, stabilizers. They are intended to keep the trailer from bouncing on the suspension while moving around. They are by no means intend to lift trailer weight off of the tires or or level the trailer.

The bottom line is that you do not need the stabilizers at all if the trailer movement doesn't bother you. Some folks never put their stabilizers down when camping.

You say the tires are old. How old are we talking? Once tires reach the ten year mark, it's not a good idea to take the trailer out on the road with them. You would be courting disaster.

You could use jacks to fill in for missing stabilizers. They should be placed in the same spot as the original stabilizers were. Using the jacks to take the weight off of the tires could result in torquing the frame and causing problems.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Old is not road worthy ( tire tread means nothing )

I used scissor jacks before I got two additional stabilizers. Bottle jacks leak after a short time. Also the ground compacts. I echo what Moosetags said.
If your trailer raises when you are raising jacks or stabilizers….you went too far.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
For winter storage, I put mine on jack stands...4 of them located right and left/front and rear of the axle plate. Tires off the ground.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
When I changed out my axles this is where I placed the jack stands.

I used a floor jack between the tires to lift the trailer with the flange.

Note : in the last picture the square piece of aluminum riveted to the under belly is where one would place a stabilizer jack.

Second note : the first picture is my hovercraft conversion
" Roads ?! Where we're going we don't need roads ! "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3622.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	231705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3620.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	231706  

Name:	IMG_3614.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	231707  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

apples and oranges

Jacking up your trailer for repairs is different that long term storage.

And just because someone does something, it doesn't mean it is healthy for the trailer.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post

And just because someone does something, it doesn't mean it is healthy for the trailer.
Huh??? I don't think anyone is advocating using the stabilizers...not sure what you mean????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post

This I have to hear !
Where would you support the Airstream for storage or repair ?

WBCCI #6269

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Note : in the last picture the square piece of aluminum riveted to the under belly is where one would place a stabilizer jack.
Okay, I've got to call foul here, even if I am a relative newb. Both my original 1974 owner's manual as well as the shop manual clearly state that those marked pads are JACKING points, NOT stabilizer locations. Also, there's only ONE set of pads, behind the axle. If they were for stabilizers, there should be two sets, one at either end.

That said, that pad location on my trailer doesn't make much sense either way, as it's right smack in the middle between any cross members, and the C-channel frame rail is bent because of a PO jacking there without any blocking. Don't know if the stabilizers are original to the trailer, or if the installation is typical, but whoever did the install did it by torching a hole through the axle support! As I'm in the process of a shell off resto due to frame issues, I'll be addressing this when I rebuild. But in the meantime, can we NOT put out opinions masquerading as facts? Thanks.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
You should have no problem, except sinking into soft ground, with jack stands under the axle close to the spring pad.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
Okay, I've got to call foul here, even if I am a relative newb. Both my original 1974 owner's manual as well as the shop manual clearly state that those marked pads are JACKING points, NOT stabilizer locations. Also, there's only ONE set of pads, behind the axle. If they were for stabilizers, there should be two sets, one at either end.

Dave
The point is if you can Jack at that point you could also stabilize at that point.

One doesn't have to 'mount' a stabilizer jack but its a good location to place one.

AS put the plate there to make it obvious where to jack the trailer .

Lifting the trailer or stabilizing has to be done on the frame rail.

WBCCI #6269

Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Actually, and again, I'm going by my AS here, you can't put a stabilizer there, at least not the usual BAL's, as there's no cross member to carry the inboard end of the jack. Mine are secured to the cross member with J-bolts through the belly pan. I've seen a version that spans the frame, but I suspect even those should be placed so that there's a cross member to add additional support.

So this brings up an important question. IS my AS typical re: the marked location of the jack pads? Like I said before, it seems odd to me that they would have indicated the jacking point at a spot almost dead center between any cross members, relying just on the C-channel to carry the load.

And just to beat a dead horse a little bit more , my main point was that the owner's manual and the shop manual are both very clear about the reason for those marked jacking points, and that reason IS jacking, NOT stabilizing. There's even a cute little diagram in my owners manual showing the relative locations, with the key being specific as to stabilizers vs. hydraulic jack.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread, but I've seen too much of the back and forth re: the purpose of the marked jacking points. Someone said it before me, but I think the confusion is due to the (incorrect) term, stabilizing jack. A jack is a lifting device, a stabilizers purpose is to keep the coach from bouncing around on the suspension when you move around inside. Later.

Dave
Old 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Placing a stabilizer and mounting a stabilizer are to different things.

Placing a jack on the square plate location is placing it on the frame rail/"C" channel .

Placing a stabilizer on the square plate location so the flats of the BAL stabilizer are parallel to the frame rail/"C" channel is the same as placing a Jack there.

The stabilizers don't have to be mounted to the trailer to work.
But for convenience they usually are. If you what to mount them be sure they are on a frame rail/"C" channel.

WBCCI #6269

Old 02-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Here is an upside down view of an Airstream chassis . The tech's hands are over the Frame rail/"C" channel . This is the the main structure of the chassis.

This is what is hidden by the underbelly skin. This is why AS put the aluminum square there so you could find the frame rail/"C" channel to place the jack. It also makes it easier to find the frame rail/"C" channel to place a stabilizer .

Again if you want to mount a stabilizer it has to be on the frame rail/"C" channel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	231841  

WBCCI #6269

Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Dude, are you trying to be insulting? Look at my initial post to this thread, I'm in the process of a shell off resto and have a bare frame sitting in my shop, I certainly don't need you showing me a picture of a C channel . You've made it crystal clear that you're a "gotta get the last word" type, even if those words are barely related to the subject at hand, and contribute nothing to that subject.

And BTW, "placing a stabilizer and mounting a stabilizer" are TWO different things, not TO different things! What's more, you're at least partially wrong. Yes, they all have to be located on the C-channel frame rail, but the BAL type stabilizers have to be located where a cross member meets the C-channel. Although you could PLACE a jack stand type of stabilizer at the JACK location, INSTALLING a BAL stabilizer there will most likely result in a hole in the belly pan, and probably a ruined stabilizer. And another BTW, now YOU owe the OP an apology for hijacking his thread. Later.

Dave
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronAndBrit View Post
Newbie here. I'm looking to park my 1973 29'Ambassador for MONTHS at a time. The tires are road-worthy, but old! OF the original 4 stabilizers, only front-curbside and back-roadside stabilizers are there, but only the back one works. (front is very broken-off)

I'm thinking I'd like to use jacks (or jack stands??) in strategic places to take some pressure off the tires since i'm parking longer term. is that a good idea? where do i put the jacks? Do i need to remove the broken stabilizer?

Any input on this would be very helpful!
To the O.P.

I hope my opinion on how I supported my AS and for showing an upside down skinless AS chassis and even suggesting one could place a stabilizer jack on the square plate as being off topic and unknowledgeable .

To daved20319

Have fun with your build , may it go quick and easy.

WBCCI #6269

Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
daved20319

I think I see where the confusion about the stabilizer jacks came in.

I'm using the BAL LoPro-SJ24 and this is what I based my point on.

You were referring to BAL Deluxe Stable Jack T type and the Telescopic .
And yes the T type & Telescopic need to be mounted to frame rail and cross member.

Friends ?
Attached Images

WBCCI #6269

Old 02-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Well, DUH! Guess that makes me look like a bit of a jerk , but yes, friends . I didn't even think about the scissor type jacks, even though I have a pair that I've never found a use for. Later, and thanks for the good wishes, despite my outbreak of attitude.

Dave
Old 02-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Dave, Your welcome .

Maybe we'll meet some day and compare trailers.

Glen

WBCCI #6269