Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lifting Gaucho to check floor

Just picked up our 1970 OILY and first job was to lift one layer of lino and 2 layers of carpet. I found some expected floor rot near door. While I'm at it I would like to lift front gaucho and check under there. We are going to put in a wood laminate (probably floating). Is the gaucho easy to lift and replace? also as it looks as though the carpet runs right under the gaucho, should I run the wood under it.

Also do I dare attempt to look inder the bathroom floor??

Thanks,

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01818.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	7051   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01817.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	7052  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01809.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	7053  
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Piece of cake..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutStream
Just picked up our 1970 OILY and first job was to lift one layer of lino and 2 layers of carpet. I found some expected floor rot near door. While I'm at it I would like to lift front gaucho and check under there. We are going to put in a wood laminate (probably floating). Is the gaucho easy to lift and replace? also as it looks as though the carpet runs right under the gaucho, should I run the wood under it.
Also do I dare attempt to look inder the bathroom floor??
Thanks,
Ken
Ken,
Congrats on your new unit~!
You're taking the right approach to fixing the problems before they get out of hand..later on..
The gaucho is rather simple to remove, as it's base is just held in place with long wood screws thru the floor. (Once you remove the cushions, you see'll them.) Shouldn't take you more than 30 min. tops to remove it.~
As far as running the wood under the gaucho, that's a personal choice but I would if it were me..Since you're going to have the gaucho out of the way while installing the new floor..
Is your bathroom in the rear?
By all means now is the time to check everything while you have the old floor off~
Here's a link to a product that you might think of using to fix the floor with~
Rot Doc
There's any number of others available`
Good luck to you~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:39 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would!

Ken,
I have a 75 and that is where my worst rot was!...behind the gaucho. The bolts that hold the shell to the frame had rusted completely off Apparently there had been leaks in that area for quite some time.Only problem I could foresee with putting the wood under the gaucho would be clearances? Good luck with your project, nice looking unit.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutStream
...We are going to put in a wood laminate (probably floating). Is the gaucho easy to lift and replace? also as it looks as though the carpet runs right under the gaucho, should I run the wood under it.

Thats what i did with mine. My trailer has a aluminum composite floor and was sagging between the supports. I just took out the dinette and side couch(both of which just unscrew from the floor and lift right out), put down a new layer of 3/4" plywood then tiled that. I just lifted everything up 7/8" of and inch and there are no issues at all. Floor is sturdy, looks good and is easy to clean.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
  1. Running the laminate under the furniture will make it difficult if you ever want/have to replace pieces from new leaks.
  2. You save money on flooring by not running it under the furniture.
  3. You will have to most likely trim almost an inch off all the furniture to get it to fit right against the curves.
  4. You will always be able to see the plywood to check for leaks.
  5. You will have to screw the furniture thru the laminate into the plywood thus defeating the float.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all,

I will remove gaucho and check out the floor while I'm there. One reason I was going to put the laminate under the gaucho was because it looks as though the original carpet runs under there and I wanted to maintain the clearances. I guess I will find out when I'm there.

The trailer is a 1970 rear bath model and although it looks sound I know I will have to redo floor at some... the bath carpet looks to be the original harvest gold berber. I know I can use the barthroom as a natural seam in the flooring therefore only replacing the bath forward for now.

After renovating a couple of old houses, I'm somewhat reluctant to start ripping the bath apart this close to trailering season.

Thanks,

Ken
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote