Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I would love an engineer and everyone to be involved. That's why I came to the best site on earth. I thought people would love to see this happen to an AS they didn't own, but at the same time make sure I don't destroy it. *With the power combined* it could have a better center of gravity. I could always take the a/c off the roof and put it in to the basement. With all the added weight low to the ground it should be less likely to tip. I could even widen the wheel base by 18"

The axles I plan to use are rated 10,000 lbs and were used on huge nascar double decker enclosed trailers. They were towed full and empty, and were dot approved.

As far as it being worth-less to others, it already is. The only people that i care if they see value in it, is the insurance company, and they said my "trailer" was worth $1000 no matter what I do to it. ( what a horrible thing usaa auto is turning into, I need to switch)

Besides, this is a good way to make sure I don't sell it. My 10' wheel chair ramp will be cut with my 31' airstream and my family will receive a 4.5' ramp and a 1974 airstream rear bath and bedroom on a frame that will last.

There's the upside to Airstreams being undervalued.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
hemmmm What kind of truck has a 31' bed??? lol. I like it! I wouldn't build something like that thinking I could sell it in a hurry, if ever. Who ever bought it was happy as can be, if not.. call me. Do you remember what it was listed for?

I didn't think about how the body tappers back in. My original plan was like a picture I saw on this site where someone built a motorcycle spot on the front part of the AS. The frame went straight up with diamond pate and bumped back in 2" to meet the c channel. The diamond plate strip was about 12" wide and stopped when it hit the wheel well.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I seem to remember it being listed north of $80k, but can't remember. I figured you can make the frame as long as you want considering all the other work your talking about doing. I only posted that because it's close to what your talking about.

It seems someone starts a thread dreaming of hacking up an airstream every few months. It's your trailer, if you turn it into something that makes you happy then its another airstream making its owner happy, which is a good thing. We all hate to see another airstream cut-up and for sale on craigslist because the owner ran out of steam, money, time or interest though.

I'm glad your thinking airstream (which is far more plentiful) and not a more rare brand of aluminum classic.

Post Pixs!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
80k ! I bet it sat there.

I really don't see it as hacking it up. It's jacking it up, to keep it's original skin straight and actually usable. It's this or a bus, I don't want the upkeep of an additional motor, and I use my truck for work. I couldn't live without hook ups, with a 40 gallon tank. I could camp.

I would be very happy being able to pull in and live anywhere, fully self contained, for as long as possible.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
It seems like it's the wheel wells that ruins the structure's tolerance of abuse. I guess they really wanted them low and only 8' wide
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Interesting idea..

What are you going to tow this beast with? You might consider something with a Caterpillar or large Cummins...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I could pick the main beams up on one end and drag it, but yes, if I ever really wanted to load up with water i would have to up grade from the 94 2500 gmc 6.5 turbo diesel 4x4 ext cab 7' bed, michellen load E tires.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I guess now that i found the steel I originally wanted, I could go back to the plan of hanging the storage compartments. If a bus with 50 passengers can safely deal with gravity, this should not have a problem. I could build a new strong frame and hang the old belly below, using alot less metal. It would be like filling the oreo with the best part. It would lighten the load. I don't ever see myself hauling 14000lbs of water. I could sell the ones I have and buy slightly lower rated axles and tires.
The shop I got it from has an air ride kit, I could pick it up cheap, but I haven't a clue where to begin with those.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tion-9708.html
Old 12-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #24

2006 19' International CCD
Indian Harbour Beach , Florida
I built a tear drop camper a few years back from scratch and all i had to do was get it weighed at the dump and take the weight slip to the county office to get a tag. It is listed under a home built. They didn't ask if it had brake lights, if a certified welder welded the frame, and they didn't even ask to see it. This is in FL, might be different else where. I have been towing it for two years and no problems from the trailer or law enforcement.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomader View Post
That trailer that mandolindave was talking about was being "modified" at the shop that did the supposed restoration of my Sovereign. When I saw the trailer in 2005, it was an empty shell; it was still an empty shell in 2007, and I would bet it's still sitting in the same place looking the same way three years later.

It seems that you're fixed on doing what you want to your trailer, but from what I've read here, you'd be better off buying a trailer that already has what you're looking for, plus it would be legal and safe, and you'd probably be in it for about the same amount of money, time and grief you plan on putting into your '74.

Just make sure that it's safe and legal.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #26

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Nice hack job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I saw this one at a rally. Later it was listed for sale on craigslist for a really long time. Same guy hacked up a canned ham on a mercedes also, and had it for sale forever.
If I weren't so happy with my moho I'd take a look at this... screw "traditional Jackson Center engineering and design"! I've been out there several times and I have to say there probably isn't one trailer that comes out of there 100%.

On the other hand I am very safety conscious and would be very leery of anything that hasn't been gone over by engineers and been road tested!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
There has got to be at least one trailer designer on here that knows the steps to dot approval.
I sent a message to jim golden, he hasn't been on in a while, it sounds like he went with a slightly thicker frame and put a lot of thought into it.

Any other engineeers want to take a stab at this. I can make it worth the while, in some way.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
www.colinhydetrailerrestorations.com ; Colin would be one of the more knowledgeable people who could lead you in the right direction.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote