Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Leavenworth , Washington
Leveling Floor

Hello,
First time to post. I have a 1987 25 foot AS. Found that the floor was completely rotted. Leaks from the "c" channel. I have taken everything out and replaced it with 3/4 inch plywood with a good exterior glue and painted all surfaces with an oil base paint.
My question is that there is a mismatch between the old floor and the new of about 1/16th. Has any one used a leveling compound to fix any mismatch or would bondo do the trick? I am hoping to use a laminate flooring.
Thanks

Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
If you replaced the entire floor, where is the miss match? If you just replaced the floor on the inside the shell and not under the outside edge of the shell, you still have a problem.

RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Bondo should work fine. Rrock hard water putty is commonly used for homes and is easier to work Than Bondo. My suggestion is to use a engineered, floating floor over the thin foam backer they suggest. For me it was much easier to install than a sheet product and has held up well for the 2 years it has been in. It does not telegraph joints. I think it was cheaper than sheet vinyl also.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If there is a miss match between the old and new floor where they meet, take a belt sander and feather out the new floor. Do it over about 12 inches to where it meets the old floor so the transition will not be noticeable.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Leavenworth , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
If you replaced the entire floor, where is the miss match? If you just replaced the floor on the inside the shell and not under the outside edge of the shell, you still have a problem.
Mismatch is between old swollen osb and new. I dug out everything in the c channel routed the edge of the new ply to fit in channel cutting small slots for the bolts and screws in the upper structure. This was very time consuming but I feel it is a good fix.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
If you haven't used a belt sander before or not much just be careful. Wider the better and let the weight of the sander itself do the work.

I wouldn't use some of the home patch floor material, thin set type products. I would most likely use epoxy. If not use something that mixes with a latex instead of water. The reason is it provides flexibility and maybe more bite. I used to set tile and never used water in my mix. Oh, the reason I didn't say one way or other about bondo is I don't know it,

Good Luck.

Tony