Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
On top of the trailer, all seams have been re-caulked or re-sealed. The air conditioner drain pan and shroud have been replaced, the Braund Skyliner antenna has been disassembled and rebuilt and sealed. New RG6 coax has been installed from the antenna and the cable connector (back by the electrical power entrance). The lid for the front vent has been replaced and the vent frame has been re-caulked.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #338
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Both the grey water and black water tank vents have new gaskets, screens and caulking. Note, since this picture was taken, the awning retainer slot (or whatever it is called) has been cleaned and re-caulked.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #339
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Wow! That's a lot of progress, looking great! The rivet tool is really good idea.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #340
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nice work, STeve, a great clean-up of the exterior leak intrusion areas.

One thing to make a note of for next time you re and re the vents on the roof: pull the screen up and slightly out of the solid metal 'stack'.

In that way, leaves or debris will not be able to get caught inside the structure.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #341
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Against Andy's advice I got rid of the gasket and just used Trempro-635 around the vent pipe to skin interface and then used Trempro again around the vent stack and so far no leaks after almost 2 years. Eventually, I am going to put a cap facing backwards on the square Tee-Pee vent so the internal seal becomes irrelavant.

That first hinge in the aluminum awning cover bothers me because water leaks through there and soaks the awning fabric causing it to rot. So the awning cover does not do much other than hold water in there. If that hinge were sealed somehow with a flexible seal or just some sort of plastic glued to both sides, it would extend the life of the awning.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Both the grey water and black water tank vents have new gaskets, screens and caulking. Note, since this picture was taken, the awning retainer slot (or whatever it is called) has been cleaned and re-caulked.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

We're about ready to install the insulation and replace the interior walls. At last count during a big rain storm, I had four tiny leaks. Three of them should have been fixed by Acryl-R (beltline and rub rail trim related and a window leak). Also, before the insulation and walls are installed, I'm trying to clean up some wiring issues. I've found several loose connections, a little bit of corrosion at connections due to moisture.

Steve
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Well, itís been a couple of months since Iíve made a post on this thread and a lot has happened since the last post, plus the last post wasnít fully catching you folks up to where the trailer really was at the time. As the project has come closer to completion (thereís still a ways to go), Iíve mostly focused on work-completion rather than documenting the progress.

First, Iíd like to go back to the gutter system and drain holes. You might want to take a look at what I was hoping to do way back in post 97 of this thread regarding leak prevention/containment/ draining. Then take a look at post 290 regarding the need for a gutter system along with post 291 regarding the implementation of a complete wrap-around gutter (well almost complete). After a number of iterations of trial and caulking (goop repair), Iíve now got a good sealed gutter system with quarter-inch weep holes for drains that really works.

The proof is in the pouring.

See water on concrete from drain/weep holes.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #344
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Next, let’s look at wiring cleanup and improvement. I’ve tightened a lot of connections, re-done crimped or wire nut connections where required, eliminated several redundant wires, tied-out the harness with tie wraps and added some clamps and supports. Here are some examples.

The wiring around the main circuit breaker panel used to look like this.

Now it looks like this.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I ran new RG-6 Coax from the antenna (which was also extensively rebuilt, but thatís another story for another day) and from the cable hookup near in the electrical cable storage compartment (see masking tape labels on coaxes).
Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Once the harnesses were more properly secured, we re-installed insulation. We found that it was far more practical to install pink fiberglass where wiring or small spaces or curved surfaces were involved.

However, everywhere else, we used solid insulation as shown below.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I replaced the factory-installed TV amplifier with a more modern Winegard SensarPro broad-band digital amplifier/signal strength meter. The picture shows the last part of the transition where the old was being severed and the new was being installed.

Later, I pulled my monitor/TV from my desktop computer hooked it up in the trailer, scanned the channels available (found about 19) and was pleased to see that everything worked just fine! Note: I do not endorse whatever product is being advertised!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Iíve done numerous other refurbishment projects, but Iím not going to detail them here as they donít directly relate to this thread, but I do plan to do some additional threads in the future on the various subjects.

Next, we started installing the lower interior walls and it started to look like a trailer again that could be used as an actual recreational vehicle! I spelled out recreational, because I wanted to use the word and think about the concept rather than just view this whole project as simply a satisfying work projectÖ soo I wasnít going to simply use the abbreviation RV!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Iíve had to do a good deal of prep work, priming and painting for the underbelly and related systems like leveling jacks.

This patch ainít pretty, but itís functional and protected from corrosion!

The air conditioner drain was revised to go through a sealed piece of PVC and now it penetrates the wrap at a different location (I have a paint sag, but Iím not too worried about that.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #350
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Weíve installed and trimmed the Armstrong loose lay vinyl flooring. More wrinkles have relaxed since these pictures were taken, but things are looking up and things are getting exciting now!!! I just wish that winter werenít setting in.