Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
That's a good question. If you look at most of the pictures in post 291 you'll see some drain/weep holes that are drilled in the bottom outside corner of the U channel portion of the lower shell extrusion. Some were in there from the factory but were obstructed by the skin or trash, etc. I've talked to AS customer about this a couple of times in the last eighteen months and intentional weep holes (about 3/16" dia.) were supposed to be drilled as drains as part of the AS design for trailers of my vintage. Well, I've gone around and added them about every 8" of lineal length around the perimeter of the trailer. They are angled down at about a 30 degree angle. These holes will be covered by the belly band which will be sealed on the top but not the bottom. When I am finished with all of the sealing, I plan to get the trailer good and level and then take a flower watering pot and pour water in the U channel all around and make sure that the water drains to the outside but not the inside of the trailer.

Steve

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #296
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557 View Post
Nice work Steve, do the front right and left cutout radius's need to be planed 1/8 on the edge facing the propane tank storage too? except for the typical C channel on the Radius?.
No, the upper surface of the new plywood is at the same level/plane as the OSB that it is next to. So the metal enclosure sits right on top of the floor (see below). I'll do a good bit of caulking all around the flange of the metal and the floor and front surface.

I'll also do some sanding on the transition between the OSB and the plywood with my belt sander to make sure that the surface is pretty flat.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You think that those weap holes are going to do much good? Are they located such that they won't expose the end grain of the plywood to water? I sealed everything and put tubes in that funneled the water under the floor.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Perry,
That's a good question. If you look at most of the pictures in post 291 you'll see some drain/weep holes that are drilled in the bottom outside corner of the U channel portion of the lower shell extrusion. Some were in there from the factory but were obstructed by the skin or trash, etc. I've talked to AS customer about this a couple of times in the last eighteen months and intentional weep holes (about 3/16" dia.) were supposed to be drilled as drains as part of the AS design for trailers of my vintage. Well, I've gone around and added them about every 8" of lineal length around the perimeter of the trailer. They are angled down at about a 30 degree angle. These holes will be covered by the belly band which will be sealed on the top but not the bottom. When I am finished with all of the sealing, I plan to get the trailer good and level and then take a flower watering pot and pour water in the U channel all around and make sure that the water drains to the outside but not the inside of the trailer.

Steve
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
I took my test piece of extrusion and drilled a 1/4" hole in it in the same fashion that I've done on the trailer itself. The hole should not allow water to touch the wood because the hole is routed above the wood at a down-angled slant. Also, the water should be able to weep out. Now, the bottom skin panel is riveted onto the upper vertical part of the extrusion and will then be covered by the wrap from the frame and the rub rail will cover the top edge of the wrap and will be sealed on top with sealant/caulk.

Here's how this should work. The hole is drilled at a diagonal.

The hole does not penetrate the extrusion in a way that exposes the wood.

The water should be able to drain from the U channel.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That works fine on the side with the double c-channel. What about the curves.

Perry

PS camping as we speak.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
I'm envious that you are camping! The curved sections of the bottom extrusions on my trailer are made in the same basic manner as the straight sections. Take a look at the second picture in post 296 above. Click on it to the point that you can magnify it on the Photo Bucket website and you will be able to see the double C channel or U and C parts plus some of the drain holes that I have drilled.

Steve

PS
I'm still envious!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #301
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557 View Post
I just love that great half-assed AS workmanship from that time period, it's like they were drinking a 12 pack of Schultz bull on the job. Jeez.
Do you really think it is any better today?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #302
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here are my thoughts on this subject from another thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1144537.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Do you really think it is any better today?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #303
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It still looks like to me that the bottom C-channel that cradles the floor is not there on the corners. I expect it is because it would be hard to form the curved shape without buckling. Maybe I am being hard headed but yours looks like mine.

Perry
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #304
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
I don't feel like you are being hard headed! You're just being persistent about looking out for me...that's the way I look at it.

Study the pictures here on post 291 and review how we bridged across the gaps and open ended U channel sections and give me your feedback.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Your bridge between the two sections looks fine. I am worried about the weep holes only in the curved sections. On mine the curved areas look like |_| and on the straight walls it looks like the photo of yours below. If you have a weep hole in the C-channel for the curved section and it does not have the bottom lip like on the straight sections the end grain of the wood will be exposed to the water coming out the weep hole.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
On my trailer, the curved extrusions are made just like the straight sides. Enlarge the smaller pictures on this web page from out of doors mart.

Steve
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #307
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoffive View Post
It's exciting to be thinking about putting it together and using it.

I've bought the floor. Went with a vinyl composite that click locks together. It is called Traffic Master Ultra Allure in a natural cherry. It's a little spendy but 100% waterproof and undergoes little to no contraction or expansion. It's going to be very pretty. The surface of the floor is molded to look like natural wood and it is slip resistant. Home Depot carries it. Going to be darkening up our cabinetry and plan on pulling the vinyl off the kitchen walls and going with aluminum there. Probably will go with a granite look alike laminate on all counter tops and finishing the edges with aluminum. Sealing, flooring, insulation, and other less fun things first.

I plan to strip and polish the external trailer above the end cap while it's removed. There's a good chance I'll push too hard and dent the thing. Might as well keep the access. I'm going to use acryl R on the seams after we polish it. I don't have parbond but there is a great video on how to apply it. Guy makes it look like a piece of cake. My experience with acryl-R was not pleasant but I did get the wing window to stop leaking. It's just not a pretty job. Good thing for razor blades. I read about using painters tape and a blade to trim out the exposed seam on one of the forums. Tedious work.

You may have seen this but here is a how to video...he makes it look sooo easy...Parbond - YouTube. Looks like the key is the solvent being used.
Anyone know where to find Malco A & L Cosmoline Remover? The video sure makes putting Parr Bond on, real easy. I want to try some of that Malco A & L Cosmoline Remover to see how well it works but I can't find any.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok I found the image that supports what you are saying. I can see it in this image. The back of my trailer was not made like yours and I have not had the front that far apart. It is good to see that Airstream has made some improvements. Your trailer is 10 yrs newer than mine and the front is totally different since you have that horizontal tank bay up there.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Perry,
On my trailer, the curved extrusions are made just like the straight sides. Enlarge the smaller pictures on this web page from out of doors mart.

Steve