Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #361
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Our dog Carma is enjoying the breeze inside the trailer this Memorial Day.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401157045220.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	212943  
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #362
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Well, it’s been a very long time since I’ve made any new posts to this thread (other than our dog Carma chillin’ in the breeze on a workday a while back). However, never fear, we’ve been moving right along working on the trailer a couple of days per week…most of the time. Ralph and I re-plumbed all of the supply side of the fresh water system with PEX. Also, a good bit of furniture has been reinstalled and some mods and repairs have (are being) done to some of the furniture/cabinets. I’ll stick in a couple of plumbing and furniture pictures later, but I’ll mostly save that to other threads and limit the remainder of this thread to the completion of the floor since that is the purpose of this forum.

The shell that covers the horizontal LP gas bottles on this Limited model has never fit the angle from the floor to the front, so there were some air and water leaks, We made some triangular shims for the left and right sides and another of the proper thickness for the rear and screwed them to the floor with a few screws.

After the picture below was taken, we used some longer screws to screw the cover to the floor (these went through the shims too. Then the caulked the shell to shim interface and open corners, etc. with TremPro.

Next we insulated the cover with the rigid foam.

Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Once the LP bottle cover was secure, we installed the first piece of furniture/cabinetry. I don’t know what you call it, but it goes across the front and the couch attaches to it.

Soon thereafter, we installed the night stands for the rear bedroom, the bed and the bathroom vanity and rear wall for the bathroom.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #364
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Steve,
I was wondering how you were coming along. We passed just south of you last week as we were pounding miles to get home from our big-out-west adventure. You guys sure had the windmakers turned up to High. I spent a whole day getting my fridge flame blown out thanks to the 30 mph crosswinds.

Great progress on the reassembly.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #365
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Vernon, I appreciate your support and help on this journey! I'll be posting a few more times on this thread and then I'm going to do a few other short threads like the one I did on cleaning, evaluating, and refurbishing the Suburban furnace.

Talking about the wind, since my wife, Carolyn, and I are from East Tennessee, we don't think that we'll ever get used to the wind. So far, we've been here for 38 years and we aren't used to it yet.

Steve
Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #366
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Although I haven’t made any posts with progress reports and pictures since late June, my friend Ralph and I have continued to work a couple of days per week most of the weeks this summer. So here’s a late-summer update to “show off our labor.”

The furniture/cabinets, etc. are virtually all installed. I’m doing some additional staining and varnishing this weekend. There are also lots of details that are too numerous to mention. In about three weeks, I will order new axles, 16” wheels and tires. Then we plan to do several short trips this fall.

Here’s a tour of the front half of the kitchen. There’s still a few missing wood pieces. The cloth portion of the upholstery has been replaced (gone from drab to plaid), all of the woodwork has been refinished, and lots of electrical refurbishing that can’t be seen.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #367
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The bedroom is still a work in progress. The valances need to be reupholstered and all of the blinds and curtains need to be reinstalled (all curtains will need new elastic and many nylon slides need replacement). BTW, we had great luck in washing/drying the curtains on perm-a-press cycle even though Airstream recommends dry cleaning. We had our mattress steam cleaned because of mouse urine and droppings and then we got a plastic bag to wrap it in from a mattress store (Slumberland gave it to us for free).

I covered up the holes where we removed the Kool-O-Matic thermostat and installed a carbon monoxide detector with a digital readout. I also replaced the smoke detector in the kitchen.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #368
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I like how you built in the inverter. Nice work!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks Channing. Some day I hope to do a thread on the wiring changes that I've made along with re-plumbing and other topics. But I plan to go camping first.

Steve
Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #370
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The wood work is stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of the Limited in a campsite...
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #371
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
this looks nice.. hopefully my 34 will turn out that good.

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #372
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Vernon and Stefan,
Thanks very much. Our first couple of camping trips will be in our driveway to see if we have forgotten anything important. Then we will venture to Cabala's...it's free, it's close by and they have free hookups. Then we will venture to some nearby state parks.

Our first real trip may be next spring. We want to follow spring northward up the Atlantic coast; starting in Savannah, GA and ending in New England or the Maritime Proveniences of Canada.

Here's a 2001 trip with our former 1990 Limited in Rocky Mountain National Park. We lost it to a huge, sudden wind gust near Banff N.P. in Alberta, Canada. It was nearly the same trailer and it was suffering from front separation, but I never got to properly fix it.

Steve
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #373
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Looking great! I'm glad you are finally close to the camping stage.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #374
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Steve; Your trailer is really looking great. Have fun and enjoy camping in your trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #375
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
My trailer is pretty much ready for camping although I still have about a dozen little items on the hit list. Soon, I'll try to do a little more interior clean up and organization and post some pictures of the finished floor, interior with blinds and curtains, etc.

However, the big news is that the trailer is road worthy again after three years.

The old 15" Goodyear Marathons were about eight years old (at least) and the axles were the original 1991 units and pretty saggy and the rubber cords in the torsion suspension were anything but springy.

So I ordered new 3,800 pound capacity Dexter Torflex axles from Redneck Trailer Parts here in Wichita and had them installed at a great place, Sanders Trailer Service in Park City, KS (about 10 miles north of me). My driveway runs very much uphill and is no place to change axles safely. I also moved to 16" Sendel Wheels and Michelin LTX Tires. This was quite an uplifting experience.

My driveway was briefly empty for the first time in three years. The neighbors may have celebrated unbeknownst to me!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #376
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Steve,
Your trailer looks great! 3 years isn't too bad for 34' of work with all of the details you took care of.

Glad to see it road ready.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #377
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Steve,
Your trailer looks great! 3 years isn't too bad for 34' of work with all of the details you took care of.

Glad to see it road ready.

Thanks Vernon, you were a major inspiration and advocate for me all along the way!

Steve
Old 12-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #378
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Nice job Steve. You can come do the interior of mine next.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #379
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Nice job Steve. You can come do the interior of mine next.

Perry
Perry,
You're very kind to ask, but I'm ready to rock and roll!

I want to finish up some threads here on the trailer restoration. But the next new threads that I want to write up involve travel. Sometimes it will be short trips and sometimes we want to take some major trips in various regions of the US and Canada.

I also want to thank you for your encouragement and suggestions on my trailer.

Steve
Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #380
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Steve if you are ever in the Huntsville, AL area look me up. I am glad I was able to help you with suggestions. I have been lazy and camping in my trailer instead of being a good Airstreamer and fully restoring it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote