Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #239
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Everything is back together on my trailer. Just need to install the washer/drier and clean up. Then on to getting it well sealed. That job was a big one and difficult. Mainly I didn't have anywhere to put the interior parts. It was very cramped and hard to move.If at all possible get some storage! But the job still went well considering. I was able to replace the floor with two big pieces and one small one. If you do this on a similar Airstream I'd recommend this. When you are ready to slide in the new plywood in take a sander and knock the sharp edge off the bottom of the flooring. That keeps it from hanging up on the lower edge of the track. I also cut a small amount off the top of the new 3/4 with a router. I took off less than 1/8". I had some other 3/4 ply but after taking a good hard look at it I ordered in some marine grade. The difference between the two was major. The #12 Tek fasteners worked very well as far as I can tell. They caged the wall and floor tracks to the frame in a very solid manor. I only was able to find R13 insulation but it peeled down to 2 1/2" and spray adhesive held it in place till the panels were screwed down. Where the new ply butted up against the old particle board I did some damage while prying. I used some fiberglass paste made by Bondo and it worked great. So thanks everyone for the help. I bought a trailer that was supposed to be in great shape and missed seeing the hidden damage. You guys helped me get things back in order and maybe now I can start enjoying my Airstream.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Mark,
This is great news. Did you take any pictures? If so, please post them!

Congratulations,

Steve

Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #241
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Yes Christina, I was also thinking about heating up the tubes and syringes in warm water while in bags. If the weather holds out I might be able to do some of the seam work here. The type of syringes that I found look to be what you describe as the feeding type. The store only had a few. It is very possible that I might have to use your clip the cover on an injection syringe idea. Thanks And Steve, I sorta had my camera buried in a cabinet that had all kinds of junk piled around and on it.So I didn't get any pictures I'm sorry to say.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Today was a big day for Ralph and me because we made a lot of progress. Actually, we had been patiently preparing the way for this progress for months, but things started coming together. We started the morning by going to a local lumber store and bought four sheets of ACX fir plywood. Then we re-measured a few dimensions and made a cut sheet for the four sheets of plywood so as to try and not waste any wood.

Next, we marked and made the initial cuts with a circular saw and labeled each piece and its orientation. Thatís me with the saw.

Then, we marked the wood according to the previously made cardboard patterns (Ralph doing the marking on this one).

Then, we cut out the curves on the plywood with the jig saw, made the rabbit around the edge, chamfered the top and bottom edge with the sander. Thanks Mark Lee for this suggestion, I was going to use a router and it was one less tool that I had to set up. The C Channel was widened one last time with a pry bar and the two front corner pieces were persuaded into position with a mallet and a block of wood. I backed it up with a big square steel bar on the outside of the shell as dolly.

Today was a big day for Ralph and me because we made a lot of progress. Actually, we had been patiently preparing the way for this progress for months, but things started coming together. We started the morning by going to a local lumber store and bought four sheets of ACX fir plywood. Then we re-measured a few dimensions and made a cut sheet for the four sheets of plywood so as to try and not waste any wood.

Next, we marked and made the initial cuts with a circular saw and labeled each piece and its orientation. Thatís me with the saw.

Then, we marked the wood according to the previously made cardboard patterns (Ralph doing the marking on this one).

Then, we cut out the curves on the plywood with the jig saw, made the rabbit around the edge, chamfered the top and bottom edge with the sander. Thanks Mark Lee for this suggestion, I was going to use a router and it was one less tool that I had to set up. The C Channel was widened one last time with a pry bar and the two front corner pieces were persuaded into position with a mallet and a block of wood. I backed it up with a big square steel bar on the outside of the shell as dolly.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #243
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I don't know what happened in the last post but a lot of the pictures and text posted twice...sorry about that.

Steve
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
I don't know what happened in the last post but a lot of the pictures and text posted twice...sorry about that.

Steve
Hi, I think that, that means, it's twice the work on a 34'er. Nice job, keep up the good work.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Itís been about a month since Iíve last posted and I wanted to offer a progress report. Hereís the front end of the trailer shot from below (which is easy to do since my driveway slopes uphill.

In this picture you can see the rivets outlining the internal doublers that have been inserted and the bolts that spread the clamping load of holding the shell to the frame over a much wider area. I used stainless steel hardware (standard hardware store grade, nothing fancy) ľĒ-20 bolts with flat washers on top and bottom and nylon locking nuts.

Hereís a detail of the right (curb) side in the front. The dangling blob near the front of the frame rail is not a fastener, but a blob of TremPro 635 where a hole had been mis-drilled.

This is what the internal doubler looks like on the right (curb) side from the inside. You can see the 1/4Ē load spreading plates that I cut out with my band saw.

TremPro is spread under the plates, on top of the C Channel portion of the extrusion, in any unnecessary screw holes or voids, but not in the ľĒ drain holes that Iíve drilled in numerous places along the bottom outside edge of the C Channel.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The left side floor is now replaced and bolted in place on the outriggers and using wafer head screws toward the interior side. All of this is goodness!

However, the right side of the floor was rotted in front at the gap between the straight side and the beginning of the radiused corner and fore and aft of the threshold of the entry door.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here you can check out the rodent residence bedding under the right side belly wrap. The mice even made a small attic annex just forward of the door frame.

With the stove and furnace removed, I decided to cut the right side out from the centerline of the frame rail outboard and from the new plywood I the right front corner to just aft of the gas supply lines for the furnace and the stove.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #248
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The right side plywood is now replaced and bolted in place. I had to drill new holes for the threshold that were further inboard in order for the threshold to really clamp the plywood and bolt through to the steel strap below. The factory had screws in the holes, but they didnít attach to anything. It did look OK if appearances count for anything. Iíll put three additional SS screws back in those holes to seal them up and make it look right again.

Tomorrow, Ralph and I are going to do some more miscellaneous riveting, sealing and then re-evaluate/inspect the work that weíve done up front prior to moving to the flooring in the rear next week.

Weíre also looking at having the dinette and couch cushions partially reupholstered. Carolyn has bought some great looking plaid indoor/outdoor upholstery (remnants that were on sale at Hancockís)!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #249
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Looks good Steve! One question: are you going to replace the rodent rally zone in the belly pan? Thanks again for the documentation.

Philip
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
Looks good Steve! One question: are you going to replace the rodent rally zone in the belly pan? Thanks again for the documentation.

Philip
Phillip, I'm reluctant to attempt to evict my tenants, but yes...the source of their pink nesting material is gone and I plan to replace it with solid foam core insulation (probably Super Tuff-R from Home Depot). I also plan to do everything that I can to prevent entrance for my little mammal buddies. I know that it's discriminatory, but this is a type of exclusion that I hope will work.

Steve
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #251

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Now THAT is how an Airstream should be built!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #252
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Vernon, thank you very much! I'm mostly consolidating and perhaps refining many of the ideas that I've gotten here at Air Forums.

Steve