Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The bumper plate is a long standing FEATURE of Airstreams. They come with this outstanding leak producing plate.

Perry

Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Mark and Perry, I'll show you what I have in mind for the pesky bumper rot precipitator (AKA Bumper Plate) in a future installment.

Ralph and I have used the Marine Clean degreaser and Metal Prep acid etcher on the rear frame, cross members and outriggers. I first washed everything using liquid dishwashing detergent and a brush. This included about the lower foot of the sheet metal sides and the U channel, the frame parts, everything that I could get to down there. That will make for a cleaner repair as we progress. I have used my electric leaf blower a lot on this whole trailer repair job. It blows out trash/metal shavings/etc. that get stuck in inaccessible places. Also, the leaf blower speeds the drying process with each step of the POR-15 process. Last night, before we painted today, I ran a room fan in the back to circulate the air and try to make the metal bone dry as is recommended by POR-15 instructions.

After cleaning the metal and applying the Metal Prep and rinsing it off thoroughly with hot water, here’s what the metal looked like prior to paint.

Here’s the POR-15 painted frame (2 coats). We have some more miscellaneous riveting to do and then we’ll start installing floor. It’s getting exciting after so many months.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
For those who later have to repeat this process, here’s a photo diary of what the frame repair process has looked like.

Here’s what things looked like once we had pulled up the OSB and insulation.

Here’s a more detailed shot.

Now, after many months the frame has been cleaned of surface rust (cup brush with rope-twist in angle grinder), welded for reinforcement and the corner brackets have been added to tie the shell to the frame in a more substantial manner.

Frame has been cleaned, and prepped.

Frame has been painted.

Bathroom area used to look like this (viewed from rear looking forward).

Now it looks like this (viewed from center hall looking outboard toward street side).
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #200
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Very nice work
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #201
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Wish that I had a lot more time. My floor repair is what I'd consider to be major. But fortunately not all that large and only in one area.Part of the problem is that winter is on its way soon. I'm just a few miles from the continental divide at 9318' in S.W Colorado. Need to get this fixed quickly and it must be strong and permanent. I scraped down my rusty areas on the frame and quickly painted it with Rustolium red primer. No major frame damage. Looks like the water only came in around the bumper box area. This was made worse by ants but they only seemed to go after the water damaged board. Think they are now all killed off but I'm still looking. Have two pieces of 3/4" marine on their way. Tomorrow the lower wall panels will be off around the whole damage area. That area is the back 52" of the trailer. I think I'm lucky that this Airstream hadn't been towed very much over the past few years other than me pulling it from Michigan to Colorado after purchase. Nothing seems to have shifted and there hasn't been any aluminum damage worth mentioning. I really appreciate the advice and pictures from this group. My repairs are looking like they will be successful and up to par with the original strength of the trailer or maybe even a bit better due to the fact that I'm not having to figure all this out on my own. Thank all of you.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks good Steve. Is that corner support going to get in the way of putting the corner wrap back on? It looks a little close. I guess yours is plastic like mine?

Perry
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
It certainly does look good Steve. Thanks again for all the documentation. A Picture and your thousand words is invaluable!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #204
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Very nice looking job.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks for the kind remarks everyone. I like to do the documentation, but more than anything I want to pass on information that's been helpful to me to others. Reading the threads in this forum has helped me so much...so trying to do a good job on documentation is my way of paying back the community.

Perry, I'm actually OK on the way the corner braces have worked out. I'll have to add a couple of pieces of angle on each one to attach the aluminum corner wraps as they were quite long and boxy on the Limited.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have never seen that sort of corner wrap. Looks like it is a leak producing enhancement of the bumper plate. You might consider eliminating the bumper plate going under the back of the trailer and figure something different out for the corner wraps. You can buy the standard corner wraps and use them. Worse case is you would have to bevel your new corner piece to make them fit. I think TOP got rid of the bumper plate as well. At least he left a gap there for water to drain. I have not finished that part of mine but I don't think it will be hard. I think I will have to extend the frame a little so the plate and hatch cover can sit a little farther towards the back. You have gone too far to let that bumper plate and the corner extensions ruin all your hard work.

Perry
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks for all the kind comments everyone! This forum has been a wonderful source of information for me and I hope to pay back the Airstream community a bit by trying to do a good job in documenting this repair.

Perry, I do not plan to slip any metal (bumper cover or corner wrap or anything else) between the aluminum shell and the frame. I'm cutting out the excess metal with about a 3/8" gap between the shell and the bumper plate. Then I'm going to install a piece of aluminum angle across the width of the bumper plate on the bottom side to give it some rigidity back by not installing the plate between the shell and frame. I don't want anything to funnel water into the replacement plywood.

I laid an extension cord across the plate and used it as a guide to provide a setback from the aluminum shell to mark a pencil line for cutting with the jig saw. Note: the cord was held tight against the shell when drawing the line, not loose as is shown when I took the picture. I haven't done this yet, but I plan to do so.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That sounds like a plan Steve. What you going to do with those funky side wraps? Are you planning to close out the back end with wraps so the water that comes through the crack won't go under the bottom skins?

Perry
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
The corner wraps will be seperated the same extension cord width as the bumper plate. I'll attach a couple of narrow sections of aluminum angle to each of the steel corner braces that I've made to attach the tops of the corner wraps. As I get this accomplished, I'll be documenting the process.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok Steve was not meaning to doubt your expertise just wanted to make sure you were not going to have anymore leak prone areas. I am as tired as you are of leaks due to factory design problems.

Perry