Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Steve your circular plate sticks up a little. Are you going to route out the new floor to account for this or are you going to just jack up the shell to account for that?

I think you are going to have a battle ship there soon.

Perry

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
Because plane of the bottom of the plywood will fit into the C Channel, I won't have to compensate for the plates on the plywood. However, I was concerned initially about the fact that these plates would elevate the level of the shell by 1/4". Now, I believe that the thickness of the plates won't affect anything very much except to give more support and a broader interface between the front shell and the front of the frame.

Even with Airstream's use of a fairly scanty frame, I don't believe that front or rear separation would be such a problem if they did a better job of connecting the frame and shell together over a wider area and if leaks and sub-floor rot were not so prevalent.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are you going to put the leveling jacks back in when you are done?

Perry
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
Yes, I'll put both jacks right back where they started. The main things that I plan to leave out are carpet and the parquet flooring in the kitchen. The whole interior floor will probably be some type of laminate. Otherwise, the configuration of virtually all of the interior and exterior components will be the same as when I started.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #187
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could leave the areas covered by furniture bare so you can inspect for leaks periodically. I expect your layout is considerably different than most because of the jacks and horizontal tanks.

Perry
Old 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry, acutally, the layout of my trailer and the corresponding Excella version are identical from what you can see on the interior. The trade is that with horizontal bottles, the batteries are beneath the forward dinette seat on the Limited and take up part of the space under that seat. The part where the bottles intrude into the interior is hidden under the front cabinetry and couch/bed. The couch/bed still has the same drawer design underneath. The trim level is differentiated between the Excella and Limited to some degree, but the floor plans are identical.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is the same layout that I have. I think I may change mine to a dinet at some point.

Perry
Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #190
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
Zillah , Washington
Wow, that does look familiar! Except we had very large mushrooms under our beds. You have a project on your hands, but at least you are getting yours done. Your 34 is built exactly like our Monty. Yours looks to be the same style as all the 1970's trailers we have around our shop. I see you are thinking about testing for leaks. Have you thought about a pressure test? That's what Monty is going to get. I heard they do it all the time for school buses. My plan is to plug all the vents and hook a large carpet dryer fan to one of the stow box openings, and spray the exterior with a water/soap/corn syrup mixture. Then since the interior is out, get the leaks with prodex. It shouldn't take much pressure to show the flaws. I picture it working like a long silver "bouncy house" without the kids. A pressure wash is a good idea, but only before sealing so that you accidentally don't cause more leaks with the high pressure jet. After that test, I may use a sprinkler.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
Zillah , Washington
Sorry, I meant to say Tempro not prodex to seal up our inside seams.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Landscraper,
Here is a post about a homemade leak tester that Vernon made http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...ml#post1155535. I'm thinking abut doing something similar. I plan to locate a used furnace squirrel cage blower and make a plug adapter for the rear trunk area with an opening through the partition that separates the trunk from the under-bed storage. I can't use the side (under forward dinette seat) door like Vernon used because that is the exterior battery access on my trailer.

Steve
Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I have a bit more progress to report. Ralph and I have drilled out the rivets in the front of the trailer and made a couple of internal doublers that weíll rivet in when he gets back from a trip heís been on. Iíve removed oodles of ineffective sealant goop that AS lathered on the rivets in the front so that we can get down to the bottom of some of the leaks.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Also, Iíve done the POR-15 prep (Marine Clean degreaser and Metal Prep acid etch) and two coats of paint (except for the place that I missed shown in the last picture). Iíll catch this area from below when we prep and clean the rear frame area.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #195
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Bought a 89 Excella 32'. Discovered that 4' of the floor has to be replaced in the rear. I'm well into the job. Will start making templates tomorrow. Wow it was hard to believe the rot. Mine even had a colony of tiny ants eating the rotten floor material.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #196
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
I'm thinking of wrapping the new plywood floor material edge with Tyvek so that any water that gets past the seal will be ducked away from the wood and insulation. If it [water]gets past the seal it would just run down the outside of the wrap and drip into the pan. The pan has a few very small holes in it about the size of rivet holes. The wrap would hang lower than the insulation. Of course I'm using a good exterior plywood that I'm going to coat with a good sealer. Looks like the water came into the floor from a lack of a good seal on the rear bumper box.