Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Last piece of floor-PROBLEM

Been slowly replacing the floor with shell on. Working from back to front have it all in and was able to get them in, in one piece. The rear most curved floor section was able to be slipped under the shell by jacking up the shell from the inside. For the rear I removed the beltline and all rivets that connected the C-channel so that the C-channel was completely removed. On the front curved section of floor , I removed the floor but the skin and C-channel are all still connected. I've struggled for and hour or so now trying to get the floor in, in one piece and I don't think it's possible. If I split the front section right down the middle and put a 'cleat' to piece the sections back together, will it be a problem strength wise? This will be the area directly under the table pedestal so that worry's me. I would have cut the pice at one end or the other over the frame except that the frame is boxed in that area making getting a nut on the other end of the elevator bolt impossible. Other idea was to use some kind of self tapping bolt for the floor in this area. It would not have much weight on it since the dinette would cover the area. Weigh in on this please as I am stopped. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I went from front to back, and the opening for the water heater at the back streetside made it easy to get the last piece in. You might be able to do similar if you remove the piece at the doorway and get your floor under the c-channel and slide it forward. I also cut the bolts at the ends of the outriggers off to allow the shell to spread out more. If you haven't done that it will help a lot. Last option to me would be a seam down the middle of the floor. If you do that use a 6" wide plywood doubler under the seam and use Titebond 3 waterproof wood glue and deck screws that won't rust.

Best to you Silverhoot,
Rich the Viking

Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Silverhoot,

When we did ours, we did the last two pieces or floor fist, and slid them both back into place like you indicated – from the rear, sliding them under the shell. Then we took the five remaining sections out, and when we put them back in, we put the front piece in first. The sides of the shell flex enough that you can get the rest of the sheets in place in one piece, but not the front.

If you have the rest of the floor already in place and bolted down, then I’m with Rich. Cut the piece down the middle front to back and use a 6 inch or even wider piece under it as a spline to support the seam. Since the dinette table will be directly above the seam, I’d use as wide a piece as you can fit under the top piece of plywood to support the seam and hold in all together. Titebond exterior (waterproof), gorilla glue, or epoxy would all be good choices. Titebond would be the easiest to use.

Chris
Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Chris and Rich,

Thanks for the advice. The next to the last piece is not bolted down yet so much as I hate to, I'm going to pull it back out. Should be able to put the front piece in then slide it forward under the channel. Then hope like heck I can get the pice I removed back in! I'll report later on.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
If you have to make a cut, don't make it down the middle. Make it over the frame member. You will be able to bolt both sides to something solid and the seam won't be in a traffic area.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I did a seam in the front,however I welded in a piece of 2x1/8 angle in the center,this gave me a good bolting support.For the box frame I countersunk self drilling # 10 screws.No problem in 15 years. Dave
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Your work here on the frame and flooring replacement has been very helpful to me. I am considering buying an old Airstream that will need a complete frame off restoration. Any suggestions on where I can find viedo or photo of such a project that might also be helpful?
Thanks
Rodney
Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I did a seam in the front,however I welded in a piece of 2x1/8 angle in the center,this gave me a good bolting support.For the box frame I countersunk self drilling # 10 screws.No problem in 15 years. Dave
If only I had a welder and knew how to use it!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by urb2165 View Post
Your work here on the frame and flooring replacement has been very helpful to me. I am considering buying an old Airstream that will need a complete frame off restoration. Any suggestions on where I can find viedo or photo of such a project that might also be helpful?
Thanks
Rodney
Rodney,

Use the search function with the term 'floor replacement' and you should get quite a few threads. I use the google search from the drop down menu instead of the forum search, yields better results for me.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Halle-freakin-lujah!

The floor is in, ended up cutting the last piece over a frame rail. I was going to remove the next to last piece to see if could insert the front piece and then work it forward from there. Then I remembered that I had already attached to the previous sheet via a doubler screwed and glued. I think I probably could have done it in one pice had I been able to try. I haven't bolted the front two sections down yet but will today. The area over the boxed frame rail where the cut was made will be secured with some self tapping bolts. This area will be under the dinette seat. Pics here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...tml#post830341 and will post on Picasa.