Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
J/C Floor Replcement Did Not Last A Year!

June 2014 I purchased a used 2008 28' International CCD("Spirit of Adventure"). Shortly after purchase I noticed floor rot in rear bedroom/curbside. Went straight to J/C and had a complete laminate floor installed. Warranty was 30 days? I specifically remember the tech saying that they would work with me if it happened again in a reasonable timeframe.
After first trip of 2015, I noticed it again, in the same exact spot. So, the "Spirit of Adventure" is back at J/C now. Curiously awaiting a phone call/estimate.
Has anyone had a similar experience with J/C? If so, how did they handle it? Really hope they are going to work with me.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Good luck!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wish Rv mfg's would put regular water leak inspections in their maintenance schedule. Sooner or later they all leak. In this case sooner, if the water leak that caused the floor rot was ever fixed.

Get a yourself a Moisture Detection Meter (we use a Sonin with a probe at the end of a wire, about $30 at Amazon) and probe through the vinyl into the plywood subfloor around the interior perimeter of the trailer regularly, quarterly is a good schedule for most maintenance. Make it routine maintenance, only takes a few minutes.

If the rot is below the awning support bracket, that's a good place to start looking for the leak that caused it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you had the floor replaced, did you ask them to fix the leak? If not you just had the problem covered up. Repair centers will generally do what you ask and not much more. So if you asked to have the floor replaced and said nothing about the leak, my assumption as a repairman would be that the leak was already repaired.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Airstream should've advised the customer to have the trailer inspected for leaks. They do have the equipment to pressure test for leaks at JC?

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
That's some crappy plywood if it rotted in a years time.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Good luck - let us know how it turns out.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
We had rotted floor fore and aft on our 29 Excella. Had P&S replace floor fore and aft with marine grade plywood I took to them. They also fixed one leak that we had curb side over a forward window. Later it leaked again so we were at JC for brakes and axles and we had them seal everything above the area showing water penetration. They did a LOT of resealing and then water tested it for over an hour. It stayed dry. Since then we have been in numerous blinding downpours and it is still dry. But repairing damaged floor and fixing leaks and resealing are two different things. Never underestimate the ability of workmen to underestimate what you want. Good luck, our experience with JC has been very positive.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
If the rot is below the awning support bracket, that's a good place to start looking for the leak that caused it.
I don't believe so. More focused on curbside rear corner. Rear bumper leak based on researching this model.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
That's some crappy plywood if it rotted in a years time.
Bad choice of words on my part. Last year it was floor rot, but this year the same area tested high with the moisture meter along with the laminate floor raising a bit above the area.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Update

Unit is being water tested this week to isolate the leak. Then in for repair next week. Hopefully they can isolate the leak because last year I could not get a specific answer as to exactly where it started. Now I know why.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wow, throwing that money at JC. You have a 2008, chances are it needs caulking and resealing by now. Probably has leaks in several places. Mine did because the PO never caulked or sealed anything. Part of maintenance.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Wow, throwing that money at JC. You have a 2008, chances are it needs caulking and resealing by now. Probably has leaks in several places. Mine did because the PO never caulked or sealed anything. Part of maintenance.
Was caulked and resealed at JC last year during new laminate floor install. That is why they have it again. Hopefully they get it right this time.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Prattville , Alabama
I just got back from JC for floor replacement from the door forward on my 2007 Bambi 19'. PO had not completely tightened the fresh water filter housing; with me buying it used and being a newbie I didn't find the drip until the floor rotted under it. They said they use a "7-soak" plywood, that can withstand being wet avg of 7 times if dried between getting wet. I had them cut slits in the under floor foil insulation so it might dry if wet. Maybe wishful thinking. Perimeter of the original floor was sound.
In addition to repairing the floor, I asked JC to seal the exterior while I watched, for educational as well as repair purposes. Didn't look like it had ever been done before. They spent several hours resealing the roof fittings and around all windows and doors, awning attachment, and new front rub rail, and replaced the A/C seal. As far as I know, they did not leak check when finished, and I elected not to spend the $250 for the pressure check. I was told by them it wasn't warranted since I identified the only two leaks we had had previously (A/C and front window) and they resealed them. I hope that wasn't a mistake.
They seemed to do a very thorough job on both floor repair and reseal.
So takeaway for me (the inexperienced new A/S owner), as part of routine trailer maintenance is:
Inspect & repair all (roof included) joints to insure watertight integrity yearly.
Use a moisture detection meter on a regular basis.
Inspect ALL accessible plumbing fittings routinely, especially after traveling rough roads.
And, if you're in the area but don't need maintenance, if you have time spend a night at the Terraport so you can shoot the breeze with the other owners.
2old2tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Update!

Leak located and fixed. Appears to have been in the rear bumper rub rail area on the curb side. Will get more information after picking up my A/S and talking to the tech's.
After putting a new floor in last year, Airstream will not be charging me for this repair. Very pleased with this customer service experience. Being a newbie I was not sure what to expect.

Happy Camper!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
That's good news! Kudos to the mother ship for standing tall.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
SIGH If the mother ship used Coosa as a subfloor instead of an organic material like plywood or OSB board, this thread and countless others like it, would never exist.

I know I sound like a broken record, but seriously folks, you're spending A LOT of money on a trailer floor that WILL rot; why not spend a little more for one that won't, EVER.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Leak is back AGAIN!

Rear floor curb side tested high again with a moisture meter. So, I spent Easter transporting (6hrs one way)the "Spirit of Adventure" back to JC for the third and final time. Hate to admit it, but if this leak is not fixed this time, I'm probably out of the Airstream game. This has been an issue for my three years of ownership. No pun intended, but this has put a real damper on our overall experience...I look at it like this. If JC cannot fix this problem, then who? They built it, they should be familiar.
Have two cross country trips planned for this year. I wil keep my fingers crossed.