Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Not a good idea. The belly pan area is not waterproof and any moisture will wick up to the frame areas and cause serious frame corrosion. The blown in will also get waterlogged and matted to the lower aluminum skin also causing corrosion. Mice also love the nesting properties of the insulation. Your best bet is to drop the belly pan and use rigid foam sheet.

Welcome to the Forums

Can you give more details? How do you install the foam sheets? We had a hard time getting it cut exactly and to stay against the bottom side of flooring between frames.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
Can you give more details? How do you install the foam sheets? We had a hard time getting it cut exactly and to stay against the bottom side of flooring between frames.
When I replaced some rotten flooring in my first Airstream I decided to replace the pink stuff with foam sheets. I made the floor repair with marine plywood, but I didn't remove the belly pan, and trying to attach the foam sheets to the plywood, and then putting it down was not an option because of the frame with all the cross members.

I thought about it for a while and then I hit on the idea of gluing strips of the foam cut into strips together and I attached them to the four sides of each cross member at the depth to allow me to suspend the foam sheets also cut to fit each section, simply by laying them in on my "shelves". I made sure the foam was at the right depth so when I put the plywood down it touched the foam, leaving it up off the belly pan making a nice air space. In my mind the only way the foam could get wet would be if the trailer leaked again...

Regards,

Reganzo

Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Hicksville , Ohio
Insulation

The fiberglass between the subfloor (5/8" yellow pine) and frame was intact on my camper. The only thing I did was place the foam sheets (5/8" urethane w/ d-sided alum.) on top of the subfloor and then lay redwood flooring over the foam sheets.

I just bypassed the ducts when heating. I originally ran the heat through the ducts under the floor but found that to be a waste in my situation. I'm just pumping the heat straight into the sealed chamber

I do wish the thermostat allowed a better control in the 35-45 degree range.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Hicksville , Ohio
I do wish the thermostat allowed a better control in the 35-45 degree range.[/QUOTE]

After fiddling with the thermostat for hours it only took a couple seconds to bend the bi-metallic strip on the thermostat. The new low is 33 degrees rather than 50.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
I use no subfloor insulation on my rebuilds. Have'nt found a downside yet. We use a long braided rug down the galley and another oval up front, rubber backed in the bathroom. Comfortable quiet floors with bare feet. Just take the rugs out and clean them each fall.