Old 12-23-2003, 03:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
Installing carpet

My husband and I are putting a small section of carpet in the hallway of our 75 Ambassador. We've never installed carpet before and planned on just getting a basic how-to book or something. Does anyone know if the installation process is the same as if we were installing in a house? For instance, we noticed there was no padding under the original carpeting - should we put it down or not? Any advice would be helpful!

Maggie

Old 12-23-2003, 04:42 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Maggie,
You can use padding if you like, I think one of the reasons the factory doesn't use the padding (other than the cost involved ) is because of the potential for gettting wet, carpet in itself is hard enough to dry out, without worrying about the pad, also the pad will retain odors. The orginal carpet was just stapled down around the edges in my unit, not sure but there may have been a little adhesive used in the middle. If you use the pad you will need to use tack strip, which will require that you stretch the carpet over it to secure it. Tack strip is a little board full of sharp nails that draw blood when you walk on it but does a good job of holding down carpet. FWIW we are not putting a pad under the new carpet we are installing in our unit. On the other hand my wife's uncle was putting new floor covering in a SOB MH and put padding under the vinyl as well as the carpet So it comes down to a matter of choice.

Aaron

Old 12-23-2003, 04:44 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
OOPS Lost my manners...Welcome to the board! there is a wealth of information to be found here. Probably more than you ever wanted to know

Aaron
Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
Thanks for the quick response, Aaron! I just showed my husband what you wrote and he let out a big "oh yeah, tack strips...." either he is familiar with those or he is just pretending so I will have more confidence in doing this ourselves!
We did manage to install a section of pergo in the bedroom so hopefully the carpet won't be too big of an ordeal.
This site is amazing! Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Maggie

Welcome to the Forum!

The original carpet in the '87 was a conventional installation (pad stapled down, tack strips installed).

Do a search on "flooring","carpet", and "pergo" in order to see some of the results of other forum members.

There is a wealth of information here, sometimes you have to dig for it, though.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Pad it up

The padding has several benefits. Other than the comfort level, the padding provides for a quieter walk through the unit. It also provides a degree of insulation.

Also when you "tuck the carpet at the tack strip, you will get a better pull or stretch from the strip. The pad will provide for a nice rounded tuck. If you dont use padding, the tack strip will potentially "poke" through the carpet and stick someone in their bare feet..
Padding is relatively inexpensive especially for a small piece for an Airstream. Simply go to your local discount carpet store and go to the "back door" and explain to the warehouse guys you need a small remnant piece for your Airstream. Typically they will give you a small piece for free or if they are real tuff to deal with, a little lunch money goes a long way

Tack strip is super cheap. I cannot say enough about having the right tools for the job. a knee kicker and a heavy carpet chisel are in order for that professional touch.
Smily
Old 12-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Carpeting

If you are just doing the hall, you will need Z-bar to close off the ends. It is also availible at Home Depot/Lowe's. If you talk to one of your local carpet stores, they should be willing to give you 2 pieces. We sell our scrape carpet for $4 a yard and have been known to give tack strip and Z-Bar with it.

Don
Old 12-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #8
Vroom

Mahone Bay
Carpeting floor

After pulling up my carpet, put a coat of urethane on the floor to protect it from water leaks and spills.
Sincerely,
Richard
Old 12-23-2003, 12:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Floor Treatment

I think that Richard has a good idea, although others may disagree.

I put a coat of "Kilz" on the OSB of the 345 prior to putting down the Pergo.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 01-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
carpet project

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all of your advice - but it looks like I have some more questions...
Here is where we are at:
Carpet, padding, tackstrips, and z-bars purchased. Have the carpet cutting knife, chisel and renting the knee-kicker today.
Here is my main question:
In my how-to manual it says to NOT put the padding over the tack stips - just the carpet. My concern is that if I run the tack strips along the one wall with the closet doors, won't I end up stepping on them when trying to get into the closet?
I can take a pic of the hallway if this is unclear.

Thanks again for all your help!

PS. Got the padding for free and didn't even have to fork over any lunch money!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Follow the Instructions

The padding should be cut just short of the tackstrip. The padding thickness, along with the carpet, will prevent the tack tips from pushing through.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-31-2004, 03:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
Success!

It's 2am and the carpet is in! Admittedly, I did the research but my husband did the grunt work! He did a great job and it looks awesome. Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 04:23 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Thumbs up Re: Success!

Quote:
Originally posted by M&J Siegford
It's 2am and the carpet is in! Admittedly, I did the research but my husband did the grunt work! He did a great job and it looks awesome. Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KEWL! Want to come and do mine?

Aaron
Old 04-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Carpet is in the trailer!

After studying these messages and others, we decided against laminate flooring due to extreme number of delicate cuts to fit floating floor inside trailer, and lack of installers willing to tackle small square footage, large effort..

We did find inexpensive remnant (an 8 or 9 by 12 piece will easily do a 25' trailer..) we also found a young installer cheerfully willing to do the work in SF Bay Area, for around $125, depending on surprises... (Remember, this is California cost of living and labor world..). He did great job (tack strips, 6# foam padding over Kilz and prep of good wood sub-floor) and trailer looks muc better. He said he enjoyed experience, and would be happy to do others as evening or weekend projects around his regular day job, so if anyone's interested, let me know.. I was helper as well as supervisor, and learned almost enough to try next time...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote