Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Improper Subfloor Replacement

Lol thank you.

It simply 1/4" birch plywood.

It went in quick and easy , although the ends were a bit of a puzzle.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Fwiw, there is no echo in that trailer even though it is mostly one big room.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypset View Post
I left a message with Colin Hyde before I posted this! It says he does phone consultations so might see if I can have the local RV guy work on it with Colin's guidance so things move quickly and get done right.

I don't think returning it is an option at this point. It was bought over a year ago and only recently flatbedded from FL. When she got here we towed her for about 20 miles including a bit on the highway at 55 mph and she held up fine for that at least. Not sure if she'd make it up to Colin's.

The inside walls are already removed, we don't need them as the walls will be built with special soundproofing and sound treatment layers. At least that means we have lots of extra aluminum to work with! Going to have to redo the belly pan with it.

So you think 200 hours is a good estimate of time it takes to do a project like this? Trying to have an idea of what to budget...

Thanks!
Hi Gypset,
I received your message late yesterday. I'll call you later this morning. That is quite the disaster floor job that the previous owner did. I've seen work like this many times by people who have no clue, very sad.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Gyp - the new Airstreams with the Flying Cloud trim line have the inside aluminum walls covered with what is commonly referred to as "mouse fur". It's a non-woven carpet like stuff - a bit like felt - a bit like the scotch brite scrubbing pads but not abrasive. The stuff really cuts down on echo.

Paula

BTW, I'm pretty sure Colin will tell you the biggest problem with fixing the floor is getting it cut to the right size with the correct curves - These trailers are put together one at a time and the old ones especially are not identical. One thread I read years ago had an owner who had really bad rot on one corner - so the enterprising owner simply found the midline, made a pattern of the good side and flipped it to get the correct curve for the missing corner... then the shell wouldn't fit back on. LUCKILY? the body on the affected corner was a bit smaller than the floor, so the man had to shave down the corner a bit at a time to get it to fit. He'd never noticed that the unit was asymetrical.