Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I'm On a Mission - 2005 22' CCD

I am now determined to bring this girl back. Purchased our 22' CCD about 8 months ago, knowing the floor needed a little TLC. Pulled (almost) everything out, including linoleum, and it is not as bad as I thought.

But here is what I am looking at.

1. Replace tank sensors / RJ12 connectors
2. Re-weld curbside outriggers and add frame stiffeners
3. Add frame stiffeners to street side outriggers.
4. Cut and patch two sections of floor
5. CPES two other not so bad locations on floor

Here are some questions I have.

1. can i use electrolytic to seal / prevent corrosion on RJ12 jacks that connect tank sensors to MicroPulse? Or should I use liquid electrical tape to seal jack to socket?
2. Has anyone done the re-weld / frame stiffeners on their own? Can you recommend a process?
3. Once frame is dealt with, and floor is patched, should i consider a water proof coating (atleast at the perimeter) on the floor. Has anyone considered Redguard (shower barrier, liquid)

Thanks in advance for the continued support.

-tim
bicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the airforums Tim,

Sounds like you have a project going on there. Glad you posted and would love to see pictures of your progress.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
NO advice from me - but my 2005 CCD 22' Needs a lot of work. But then I have used that baby and put thousands and thousands of miles on her.

My list is endless.

First not so good - is they used the chip flooring - and I think mine has got quite wet over the years - with both condensation and thawing in and out - not to mention a few leaks from the awning and vents up top - fixed all those.

My bathroom vent/fan needs replacing - motor is squealing intermittently.
Lanoleum(sp? ha I do photography not spelling tee hee) on the floor has always been buckled at the galley side.

Corrosion OMG - I don't know what to do - wait till the whole trailer looks like dung - or go for the big expense of getting the little bits that are everywhere. The tail lights, door hinges and handle all need doing first. The little stuff I can live with. But the clear coat has lots of little chips from the traveling and you just don't see them until the filiform rears its ugly head. Anyone had those parts done at Jackson - how much would they charge?

I have to get under the trailer and sand down the corrosion on the tanks and underbelly and re-paint.

I don't believe my tank sensor for the fresh tank is working - and the black tank has never worked while I have had it. How do you check and or replace them?

Panel that is between bath and galley - has always been loose and nothing will keep it together - any suggestions. Not like you can screw anything to the bathroom fibber glass all in one wet bath.

Hmm what else - oh yes need a new exterior plug bolt for the Water Heater and should replace the elbow fuse as it is finicky now....I have to play with it and then she fires up.

PS Wheelinterested - remember your heater at Jackson (ions ago) - same thing - and if you and I had not figured that out I would have never guessed what it was and would have been soaked for a whole new mother board - dang these service men out there try and soak women...put the guy straight - told him I am not as stupid as I look....thanks - but no thanks for your service...

Will keep an eye on this thread I am sure there will be a few more 05 22'ers popping on as their baby starts to age some.

I LOVE THIS MODEL!!! and it is a breeze to manoeuvre.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Maybe you can help me out... I have an 06 model, and over winter the lino cracked, apparently from temperature change... though Airstream insists their product is rated for -40. My insurance isn't going to cover it as my policy excludes temperature-related damage...

The curb side is very slightly sagging... about 1/4 inch right now. Where would I want to look for frame or outrigger damage? The visible outriggers by the steps seem fine. When I removed the white vinyl cover on the wheel-well, it seems like the floor is uneven by the wheel well...

So - my mission is to replace the vinyl on my own, repair any damage I can't see, and reinforce the frame if needed.

Can you tell me how hard it is to get the galley out, or are you going to that extreme? I crawled around and the bed, nightstand, closet look fairly straight forward... the kitchen side looks scary. I have to figure something out, as the Airstream dealer is estimating $7000 for the replacement.

Any tips would be great... I'm not looking forward to spending most of my RV summer with my Airstream's guts all over the driveway...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I have to say I am amazed and saddened at the extent of the repairs you guys are having to do on these relatively new coaches. Were they bought used in this condition or are you the original owners. These are only 6 years old. Were there some quality issues during this period?
Dan
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Floor

Hi Friday...

I have been thinking more and more about this dang floor of mine now too. It is so badly buckled on the galley side and now almost pulled an inch away from the door side showing the chipboard floor.

I was just working on a table extension that comes out from under the desk portion and noticed the floor is totally not flat - and almost looks like it is heaved.

If I get time this summer - I think I'm just going to take an xacto knife and cut the floor out all around the edges. I would never get that galley side out - huge job and no wonder Airstream wants $7000 - time is money and that job is time consuming.

At least in the back and by the door if the floor is rotted out I can cut that part out. The front under the bed seems fine. And along the wheel wells they are fine as well.

As for a new floor covering - I may go with something other than vinyl - but what ever I use - I will just do a 3/8 trim piece around the edges - somewhat how they finished other parts like the shower base on the outside. The black night stand and closet pieces could be painted black and you would never know...All I know is that it would look a 150% better than what it is now.

Might look at cork flooring or the new rubber flooring - would be warmer. Something that breathes better too. My big problem is condensation - chip board probably soaks up the condensation then it freezes and then expands.

I think with this unit they were a little shy on the curb side to begin with - whereas the galley side they can run extra under the cupboards so it would not really move - that is where it has all slide too or creeped to.

Good luck with your reno...
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I have to say I am amazed and saddened at the extent of the repairs you guys are having to do on these relatively new coaches. Were they bought used in this condition or are you the original owners. These are only 6 years old. Were there some quality issues during this period?
Dan
I bought mine used in 2008 - and the previous owner had issues even earlier she bought it new.

Two big things with that year - Corrosion!!!! and they really cheeped out and went with chipboard floor instead of plywood - which unfortunately I did not realize when I purchased it. (the floor that is) - it seems that Airstream is having a terrible time with corrosion - but I can't say it is all their fault - it is the aluminum being produced and sold around the world.

I don't help matters in that I travel during the winter months exposing it to salt and grit from the roads - causing more tiny chips to the clear coat.

Other things - like appliances - well again - norther winter salt, and southern salt. Going in and out of winters - all play havoc. As well the worst part is the Interstate driving - those roads beat the crap out of anything.

My Jack - I fixed easy - it just happened to be the micro switch had corroded I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me out two little switches free of charge. If I was not so cheap and on a shoe string budget I might have thought I needed to replace the whole jack - it shuddered and grinned for quite a while - thought the motor was going - but all it was, was not drawing proper power through the switch.

Bathroom fan - well that might just be a lemon - for it to go so soon - I will try and talk to someone at the manufacturer if they are still in business.

One of my tank warmer lights has never come on - to the black tank - and the sensor for the black tank always reads empty - ha I know otherwise - but have no idea how to change that out. As for avoiding the freeze if I am using it I will just pour a jug of antifreeze in there.

Mine gets a lot of use and a lot of miles - so on the whole I am very pleased - nothing inside has warn out other than a couple of cupboard black catches.

I have had issues with the L-seating Peter put in - it kept coming loose each trip - so this time I took care of it - it needed a heck of a lot more floor mounts and longer screws. It is a heavy beast with real aluminum laminate not formica.

The power unit has a weird issue in that the 12v ground found at the back of the fuse panel - seems to unscrew itself - upwards - go figure - so something I have to watch. It was a mystery until I found it. Was draining lots of things and lights dimming and even the jack not working, battery not charging - took me forever to find the culprit....it has been fine for three years and just did it again - made my main 20amp GFI breaker over heat and pouched it. Kept tripping on me and I just kept scratching my head.

One thing at a time. My next little project is to make a collapsable shelving unit for inside the closet - when I am on extended stays - so I don't have to go in and out of the under bed bins.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
GT, I admire your resolve. When you're done your trailer will be better than new. I am mainly dissapointed that the products of those years were built so badly. Remember those were good years before the recession so maybe they were building lots of coaches and had a workforce that was new and poorly trained. I'm an engineer and look at and evaluate situations like this all the time. Production ramps up, quality issues become overwhelming and are often overlooked as emphasis is on production. I wish AS would recognize and acknowledge these problems and step up to the plate and make it right. Unfortunately this won't happen. Thor industries is a publicly traded company and their first obligation is to the shareholders not the customers.
Dan
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Update - Reply to FRIDAY

So my trailer has been back together for about a month now, and I couldnt be happier. While I was at it, I replaced all of the tank sensors, re terminated all of the RJ11 (Telephone) cords for sensor system, repaired minor damage from tire blowout (belly pan), installed shelves in the closet (which now fits weeks worth of clothes for both my wife and I), installed electronic timer thermostat for those chilly mornings, replaced SD flat screen TV with HD flat screen TV (thanks craigslist), fixed all latches, replaced all four tires, repacked wheel bearings, fixed a few small floor rot issues (I cut a few spots out, beveled the joints, glued, screwed, and bolted, and then using an elastic floor leveling patch combined with fiberglass floor tape. On the spot under the water heater I used saturating epoxy, and finally installed 1 sheet Marmoleum, and reinstalled everything. Replaced shower head with oxygenetics head, added a temperpedic topper to the bed, and sealed the source of leaks (two awning top mounts, around the water heater / fridge vent). Trailer is now dry as a bone. Living in portland, there are ample opportunities to verify that there are no leaks.

Whew. My wife thinks I am crazy but everyone who see's it thinks it is brand new.

In response to FRIDAY, I removed everything but the Galley and the Rear Bath / and had the marmoleum cut around both. That said the galley kick panels in my trailer come out and we were able to shimmy the marmoleum under the galley anyway, and being that the marmoleum is 6'6" it didnt need to go under that far anyway. Additionally, the original vinyl didn't go the whole way under, so I was in the end. I did remove the fridge and fridge side panel (which is the closet), so i was able to cover that easily. Again, being that I would have caused more damage in removing the bath and the Galley, I wouldn't worry about it If you cannot get under the galley, just make sure you glue it well so that it doesn't pull back, you can always caulk or add some trim to conceal the joint. If you are cutting the vinyl yourself (I hired an installer for $250), get a large piece of cardboard and cut a template. Or cut the existing vinyl, neatly and cleany around the galley and then use that as your template.

The vinyl they put in these trailers is garbage (my opinion) I will add a photo of our trailer with the marmoleum in a bit (I am on a beach in southern California logging in on a 3g connection that is spotty at best so it may take me longer to upload).

We have been in the trailer for about two weeks now, and have two weeks to go, and as I said, so far, I am very happy with the new floor and how everything came back together. If you need to chat more ping me with a private message and I will send you a my number and I would be happy to help you through.

It will seem daunting at first, but it is really not that difficult. Most people who own Airstreams own them for one reason, they are perfectionists, give yourself a little wiggle room, and you will wind up with a nicer result than what you had for sure.

Take Care, and good luck

-tim
Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
One more thing

Forgot to mention, had A/S replace 1 outrigger, and had a frame welder raise curbside by 1/4 inch and weld in outrigger strengtheners along the entire curb side.

-tim
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
OMG Tim - does that mean I have to do all that to mine? I will be living in a tent all summer for sure.

I am very concerned thought about the floor - I guess I can drop the belly pan and have a look from underneath to see if I have any broken outriggers.

Can you show me your shelves you put in the closet? I was thinking of just putting some portable ones in that I can remove when not staying long term and use the bins when I travel.

Thanks for the reminder on the awning too - I will need to get up there and re-seal the length and all the vents Our winters do amazing things about shrivelling them up - that is where I was having a leak before. I would say most leaks all come from the roof don't they?

Here is a link to where I posted the reno we did - took out the dinette.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...29663-213.html post #2980
I liked the design of the pull out couches in the 23' models - but wanted something different for the tables. Want versatility I only ever use one no opportunity to use both thus far. Now I use the second table as an extension to the back desk. I have made a slide out support that the table sits into - that way I can still use it if I need both tables set up for dinner with company...
Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
GT1963 Reply

No you dont have to do all of that to yours, I am not sure what your symptoms are, but we had a slight drop on the curbside but I think it was a result of a blown tire that bend the rear outrigger down a bit, and as a result the other outriggers had to do some extra work. Once we had A/S replace the bent outrigger, I put the additional outrigger supports in for good measure (Since everything was pulled apart anyway).

-tim
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
GT, your renovation is amazing!
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
HI lisa. Well I can't take all the credit. I did the design - and pushed Peter to build the frame for me. Got all the supplies I needed - and once he built the frame - from spare wood from the wheel well cover that we no longer needed to anchor the old dinette too. The curve was the same as the curve on the closet and the night table.

I then took the unit into a cabinet place to have it laminated with aluminum. Expensive. I was hoping to get the black laminate from Ohio but they don't use it anymore.

PS - he is now using the dinette in the little 1963 GT - that is if he ever gets around to finishing it. Other than the AC, wht, furnace, fixing the black tank and getting a grey tank made, installing the univolt - he has gone no further on the inside. Spent a **** load of time doing a poor first polish job - but ha can't use it if it is not finished inside - why are guys so hell bent on doing the polishing first - it should always be the last job!!!

He sold my Moonbeam and then promised to get the GT finished - with my push we got it all road worthy and off I went in a tin tent - but from there I waited - missed tons of opportunities for trips and then finally bought the new one so we could get out and do things like socialize - hmmmm not on his radar. I think he came with me twice in it - then I just left him at home.

I love to be out on the road and this size is perfect - I really would not have felt too safe with a single axle if I had a flat - and I did with this one - no damage luckily the tread just shredded off. Changed her out put the spare on and looked for a new tire.

Purchased new foam and had it cut - but they cut the long side too long - and I never got back to them. When I can afford it I would like someone to cut and cover the foam with the red faux leather. (Eventually and on my wish list) for now I suffice with Walmart fleece blankets tee hee)

Peter did not want to make the reno - he prefers the dinette - I hated the dinette and he never went anywhere with me - but I did the plans with him in mind as he is 6.2. It was always way too crammed in the front bed so I wanted us to have our own sleeping place.

Now it works out great for a nice couch for watching TV and lots of room coming out of the bathroom to towel off and dress.

This model really does have an amazing amount of space for only 22'
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
GT - love your redesign - had a similar idea but much more crude. Your job is just amazing.

I didn't know it had a chipboard floor, thought only the 16 and 19 had it. The plywood can have problems too - so if you're gonna spend the big bucks - go with nyloboard. I bought new taillight bezels - but kept the old ones. I stripped the clearcoat with laquer thinner, and the corrosion remains. Looks like I'll be chipping off the big stuff then compounding. I may just PAINT them with that fake chrome paint.

I've started doing a horrible thing on my current 25 FB Safari. A 24 inch experiment in 3 steps:
  1. I found some silver nail polish (5 samples, and the drug store let me return the unopened losers) - and just painted over some filoform.
  2. Some I sanded down with fine emery cloth (stuck it on a pencil eraser), then treated with CorrosionX, then nail polished.
  3. Some I sanded, treated, and clearcoated with Airstream clearcoat.
Frankly the nail polish looks better from 4 feet away but it's only been a few weeks. Unsure it will hold up. Will let you know.

Paula
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
CCD Marmoleum Floor Replacment Photos

I have finally added photos, looks like the "Multi" upload option does not work, you need to upload one photo at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-04 12.57.43.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	156565   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-31 16.58.20.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	156566  

Name:	2012-02-26 15.45.21.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	156567   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-19 17.25.56.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	156568  

Name:	2012-04-04 12.58.26.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	156569   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-18 12.10.52.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	156570  

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Nice AS!

The only problem as I see it....You pull it with a ford and to boot it is blue

Just pulling your rivets! Great job - wanna come and do mine now?

I was just lucky when my truck was on the market - priced right - took me a while to get used to the decals and I could not afford to paint the cap - but it grows on you after a while - now I would not have it any other way - first - I can tell where my truck is in a big parking lot - it stands out amongst the sea of silver trucks out there....

Name:	My Rig2.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	156571
Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
The Ford

The F150 is Black on black, i hated it at first as well, but I got a screaming deal on it from a dealer who wanted to unload it. I almost felt bad for the dealer.

After a while it grew on me...

-tim
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Ha me too - it only had 21,000 Klm's on it and only wanted $24K could not go wrong - heck I would have taken it if it was purple at that price. Has been a good truck thus far had it for 4 years. Had two front wheel bearings changed and regular service - new rubber.

Only annoying thing is my Oil Sensor is gone on the fritz and keep sounding the alarm intermittently - but not a priority and don't have the $300.00 to change it - the part is only about $50.00 but apparently it was made like an airstream - can't get at anything after it is built LOL.

Happy travels..

PS the only real negative on this trailer is the door swings the wrong way - never understood why they did that - has room on the other side to swing - pain that it covers one of the windows - and the wind is always blowing that way tee hee

Sharon
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
GT - love your redesign - had a similar idea but much more crude. Your job is just amazing.

I didn't know it had a chipboard floor, thought only the 16 and 19 had it. The plywood can have problems too - so if you're gonna spend the big bucks - go with nyloboard. I bought new taillight bezels - but kept the old ones. I stripped the clearcoat with laquer thinner, and the corrosion remains. Looks like I'll be chipping off the big stuff then compounding. I may just PAINT them with that fake chrome paint.

I've started doing a horrible thing on my current 25 FB Safari. A 24 inch experiment in 3 steps:
  1. I found some silver nail polish (5 samples, and the drug store let me return the unopened losers) - and just painted over some filoform.
  2. Some I sanded down with fine emery cloth (stuck it on a pencil eraser), then treated with CorrosionX, then nail polished.
  3. Some I sanded, treated, and clearcoated with Airstream clearcoat.
Frankly the nail polish looks better from 4 feet away but it's only been a few weeks. Unsure it will hold up. Will let you know.

Paula
Yes plywood can too but it takes much longer for its structure to break down being laminated - whereas chipboard expands unevenly and soaks moisture up.

But ha no big bucks will be spent right now - so good thing she is sitting stationary - when and if I have time during the summer I may release the lounge seating - heat up the floor somehow and get some heavy duty roller on it. I like the flooring it has held up pretty good for my use. Apparently they did not glue this stuff down either - so there is another reason it bevels. Weight of the galley holds that side in place but the dinette and now the lounge although much heavier still is not enough weight - but as I said there was not much extra at the door and it is now shifted about an inch from the sides....Kind of all hard when you are living in it to get these types of renos done.

Still love it and so very please you and I made the exchange.. Must get together this coming year - been far too long. How is everything going for you Paula?