Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by 195Pilot View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Any more idea's before I start cutting metal.
If you plan on running china tires you better make the inner fenderwells out of 1/4" boiler plate.

r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
salzburg , salzburg

Originally Posted by 195Pilot View Post
Thanks again for the input.
The tire blow out aspect is going to be a bad deal any way you look at it. The major damage will be in the aluminum skin, the long sheets on either side.
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I would like to improve the frame, after all if I copy the old frame to the tee, it should last 37 years.
As far as the car trailers with oak floor, I told my wife a couple of weeks ago, just buy a 40 ft. goose neck trailer and set the shell on the oak floor, make some nice steps off the trailer, you got a place for generator and anything else you need will camping.
That didn't go over real well, I don't think she liked the idea. Then I said how about a long pontoon boat and trailer then we can have an amphibious Airstream, Well that wasn't a good idea either so I am back to building a new frame.

mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I would go just slightly heavier to maintain the flexibility and light weight. Then either galvanize or POR-15 the entire thing for rust protection.

I would proceed very cautiously with a galvanized frame - this could led to galvanic corrosion of the aluminum shell anywhere the shell contacts the frame I.e. around the perimeter. Use a a good quality enamel or epoxy paint.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Galvanize is zinc and zinc is anodic to aluminum and steel so how is the zinc going to lead to corrosion?

Galvanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote