Old 02-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If modern plywood is thinner ...

The original floor in my 68 Overlander was true 3/4 inch. The 3/4 exterior ply I'm using in my shell-off replacement is a bit thinner. Does this matter when dropping the shell back on?

In particular I'm wondering about the front hold-down plate where the rivet holes will be a fraction off from the holes on the shell...

Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardine View Post
The original floor in my 68 Overlander was true 3/4 inch. The 3/4 exterior ply I'm using in my shell-off replacement is a bit thinner. Does this matter when dropping the shell back on?

In particular I'm wondering about the front hold-down plate where the rivet holes will be a fraction off from the holes on the shell...
Nope, doesn't matter. You'll have to re-drill to suit, but you'd likely have had to do that anyway even if the new plywood was exactly 3/4". We've done numerous "body off" / "rotisserie " restorations & this is normal.
Good luck,
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
is it okay if re-drilling elongates existing holes?

Colin - thanks for the answer.

As it sits now, re-drilling means elongating the existing holes on the skin or hold-down plate. (I guess elongating the holes larger on the plate is preferable to the skin?)

Seems I have a few options:

-Buck the elongated holes, and perhaps drill a new 3rd row for good measure to stop movement shearing the rivets.
-Shift the shell to one side 1/3" or so and make completely new holes on the plate.
-Re-drill everything about an 1/8(?) bigger and use a larger rivet

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardine View Post
Colin - thanks for the answer.

As it sits now, re-drilling means elongating the existing holes on the skin or hold-down plate. (I guess elongating the holes larger on the plate is preferable to the skin?)

Seems I have a few options:

-Buck the elongated holes, and perhaps drill a new 3rd row for good measure to stop movement shearing the rivets.
-Shift the shell to one side 1/3" or so and make completely new holes on the plate.
-Re-drill everything about an 1/8(?) bigger and use a larger rivet

Thoughts?
The original rivets had 1/8" diameter shaft, & replacement rivets from Vintage Trailer Supply can be either 1/8" or 5/32" diameter. We use 5/32" for almost everything, as the head is the same size as the originals. I would be very surprised if the holes are exactly 1/8 th offset everywhere, but if they are, you should use a scrap piece of aluminum on the inside as a "backer washer", then perhaps add another row though virgin material.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Thanks Colin - that's just the information I needed.