Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Before hitting the road, you'll want to replace that missing lug nut and/or broken lug stud (can't really tell if it broken or not). I think that should take priority over any rust.

BTW - I wouldn't worry about rust on brake drums. As for the other rust, at least it's not corrosion. There's a huge difference between rust and corrosion.

Go to your local automotive/industrial paint store. There's a rust inhibitor that'll sequester that rust.

Google "rust inhibitor."

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Santa Barbara , California
Thanks everybody! There seems to be unanimous agreement here. I will keep looking.
CoreyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It seems that Airstreams are getting more and more popular and the prices on a junk used one have doubled or tripled. Have you looked at restored ones? The best prices seem to be on the east coast. Also the best time to look is in the winter right after Christmas when folks are trying to pay of credit card debt and pay the heating bill. Spend some time looking at local stuff and educate yourself till prices fall. If I were going to pay over $10k for a trailer it better be camp ready.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
From experience redoing a 1976, 31' in what appears to be in better condition than this one, I think that you are very low on your estimates for repairs. Axles alone will run you 2.5-3K. Then there are all of the interior items like A/C, fridge, HWT just for starters. Think I would pass on this one!! Unkess 2K would buy it!!! Chris
Where do you guys find these airstream for 2k ? Here in oregon I never see anything in that price range and I scout around a lot
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
By the way the floor seems to be in surprisingly good condition. The only soft spot was right in front of the front door.
Same with mine, I thought. Turned out there were a few more spots around the perimeter. The soft spot in front of the door was where the worst frame rust was, just below it. But, what the heck - I bought it planning on doing a full monty anyway.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It seems that Airstreams are getting more and more popular and the prices on a junk used one have doubled or tripled. Have you looked at restored ones? The best prices seem to be on the east coast. Also the best time to look is in the winter right after Christmas when folks are trying to pay of credit card debt and pay the heating bill. Spend some time looking at local stuff and educate yourself till prices fall. If I were going to pay over $10k for a trailer it better be camp ready.

Perry
Yeah, I have been spending quite a bit of time shopping. I think you are right about the prices and around here in Southern CA I think the prices are even higher. Also, I want something so specific and rare that its harder to find one at a good price point. Restored ones are typically outside of my price range, plus i think it would be fun to design the interior. I just really don't want to work on the frame or take the shell off. Thanks for the advice.

Corey
Old 08-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybullet View Post
Where do you guys find these airstream for 2k ? Here in oregon I never see anything in that price range and I scout around a lot
My question as well. I never see anything like that in Southern CA either. Hence, I was looking all the way in Buffalo, NY.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
The OP trailer in question is DEFINITELY a pass for $12k. From the looks of the bottom, thats a $2k-$3k trailer.

My frame of reference comes from continually checking on whats for sale, asking price vs condition. My personal value guide is:

Stage 1: $1k-$3k for Unused trailer thats been sitting. Smells like "old trailer", old everything and clearly hasnt been used in a while. Some things "work", but most everything needs upgrading or replacing. Trailer likely has rusty frame damage, and floor rot around the perimeter. Double pane windows are surely full of junk. May have the hardware for an awning, but it is likely not functional and if its there, the fabric is in bad condition. Significant amount of work to bring up to being solid. Likely a full monte, shell off restoration candidate.

Stage 2: $5k-$8k for a trailer thats "usable". Although everything is old, and still stinks, everything appears to work. Floors are likely rotten around the perimeter, and frame damage is likely, but not fatal. Double pane windows are probably full of junk. Awning should be there, but possibly has a broken part on it, and fabric condition is old. Axles are likely to be needed. Fresh paint inside, and perhaps some floors could freshen up the place and camping can be had. Problems will likely arise, where the can of worms opens up, and then you're back to Stage 1.

Stage 3: $8k-$12k for a trailer thats still old, but clearly has been kept well. Perhaps even kept under cover. Might not stink as bad, possibly painted with new floors. Some of the double pane windows have issues, and may still have junk in the vista views. Awning is in good working order, but probably old. Everything works as its supposed to, but probably needs axles.

Stage 4: $12k-$20k for a trailer that has been updated and cared for. New axles, new appliances, walls clean or painted, possible new cabinets or countertops, new floors, led lighting. May also be polished. All windows are clean and clear. Vista views have been fixed. Awning is in good working order with new fabric. This is the next best thing to a full monte/ shell off restoration.

Stage 5: $20k-$40k for a trailer that has had full monte/ shell off resto. Everything is new including frame welding (or replacement), subfloor, axles, wheels/ tires/ brakes, cabinetry, flooring, led lighting, plumbing lines, gas lines, fuse box, inverter, water pump, holding tanks & valves, windows all clean and re-tinted, new seals everywhere, bathroom rebuilt or scratch new, polished, new ac & vents, and new awnings all the way around. Quality of materials is average to above average, but not high end. might not be from a particularly skilled craftsmen, but definitely can be obtained by a passionate DIYer who loves projects and takes time to learn to do things right.

Stage 6: $40k-$100k+ for all of Stage 5, but completely custom with high end quality of materials and workmanship by skilled craftsmen.

There..... kinda did that for myself... interested to see if ya'll agree.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
^^^^ Mixter, as a guy here who is still, in the back of my mind "looking" for a resto candidate, I think your description should be a 'sticky'. Very well spelled out. thanks for that.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Mixter, Thanks.
Very nice synopsis!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
I agree, and it makes me feel better about what I paid for a Stage 2 and where I am now at Stage 5 after 3 years of spare time! (About ready for that "Woo-hoo, look at me" thread.)

If I could just finally get to use it!

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:

Looks spot on to me, likely because it jives with what I paid for my Stage 2 Tradewind, which was mainly worth the money to me for the shape the shell is in.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Quote:
The OP trailer in question is DEFINITELY a pass for $12k. From the looks of the bottom, thats a $2k-$3k trailer.

My frame of reference comes from continually checking on whats for sale, asking price vs condition. My personal value guide is:

Stage 1: $1k-$3k for Unused trailer thats been sitting. Smells like "old trailer", old everything and clearly hasnt been used in a while. Some things "work", but most everything needs upgrading or replacing. Trailer likely has rusty frame damage, and floor rot around the perimeter. Double pane windows are surely full of junk. May have the hardware for an awning, but it is likely not functional and if its there, the fabric is in bad condition. Significant amount of work to bring up to being solid. Likely a full monte, shell off restoration candidate.

Stage 2: $5k-$8k for a trailer thats "usable". Although everything is old, and still stinks, everything appears to work. Floors are likely rotten around the perimeter, and frame damage is likely, but not fatal. Double pane windows are probably full of junk. Awning should be there, but possibly has a broken part on it, and fabric condition is old. Axles are likely to be needed. Fresh paint inside, and perhaps some floors could freshen up the place and camping can be had. Problems will likely arise, where the can of worms opens up, and then you're back to Stage 1.

Stage 3: $8k-$12k for a trailer thats still old, but clearly has been kept well. Perhaps even kept under cover. Might not stink as bad, possibly painted with new floors. Some of the double pane windows have issues, and may still have junk in the vista views. Awning is in good working order, but probably old. Everything works as its supposed to, but probably needs axles.

Stage 4: $12k-$20k for a trailer that has been updated and cared for. New axles, new appliances, walls clean or painted, possible new cabinets or countertops, new floors, led lighting. May also be polished. All windows are clean and clear. Vista views have been fixed. Awning is in good working order with new fabric. This is the next best thing to a full monte/ shell off restoration.

Stage 5: $20k-$40k for a trailer that has had full monte/ shell off resto. Everything is new including frame welding (or replacement), subfloor, axles, wheels/ tires/ brakes, cabinetry, flooring, led lighting, plumbing lines, gas lines, fuse box, inverter, water pump, holding tanks & valves, windows all clean and re-tinted, new seals everywhere, bathroom rebuilt or scratch new, polished, new ac & vents, and new awnings all the way around. Quality of materials is average to above average, but not high end. might not be from a particularly skilled craftsmen, but definitely can be obtained by a passionate DIYer who loves projects and takes time to learn to do things right.

Stage 6: $40k-$100k+ for all of Stage 5, but completely custom with high end quality of materials and workmanship by skilled craftsmen.

Mixter your guide has been useful, so I started another thread based on it in the Dollars & Cents Sub-Forum which looks like it could use an updated discussion about the topic:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...ml#post1678963
Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Greetings, just purchased a 1989 Excella 1000 and while it is our first AS, We've owned a few work in progress RVs. Joined this forum and got a lot of great info on AS's first so as to know what/where to look for issues. We expect to replace appliances but they appear to be generic brands common to the RV industry, more concerned with structural/rot issue. We were lucky, this unit lived its life in PA (no salt on roads) and was owned by two "little old ladies" and we saw the original paperwork to support that claim, LOL. We paid $15.5k, a bit more than we wanted but this rig looked great (other than the clear-coat) and the moisture detector couldn't find any wet spots where they shouldn't have been. Other than that, it just "felt" right and just exuded character, plus the brakes, shocks and tires were less than three years old and it was recently serviced by Airstream (saw receipts). We had Just gotten back from the Hershey, PA RV show and the new ASs felt "sterile" inside, a lot like a hospital room. Beautiful units but too retro for me. We won't be afraid to drink/spill a cup of coffee in the "89", plus if it breaks, we're not out soooo much $$$. Our advice to anyone looking at a used AS, is don't be afraid to spend a bit more for a more solid unit, you will be dollars ahead in the long run. Its the same with classic cars, finding a solid "driver" is much cheaper than bringing a rust bucket up to even driver level. Finally, we fully expect to have to work on our AS, but that is part of owning "your" trailer and learning to love it. Good Luck in your search(s)...
James and Rebecca
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Paw stuck , Connecticut
Hi how can you find out about the axels? when do they need replacing?
Katzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
If I could get it for $5K and fix it up for $10K I would be the happiest person in the world! It is a Caravanner, which we really have our hearts set on, which is pretty rare and has been very hard to find. It is listed at $12.8K and would cost us $2.5K to ship. You think that is crazy? I would love to get it down to $10k including shipping, but don't know if that is realistic. I am also worried we will easily spend a lot more than $10K fixing it up. If it ends up being $10K I will be fine, but I am really nervous that it will balloon well beyond there, which would be a serious problem for me. What do you think?
Corey
Why the Caravanner model? Just curious.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote