1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
So.
just double checking...If we want to paint the tongue in a matching color with the truck what so you guys recommend?...
I told you what I do. Others have told you what they do. Now is the time to distill what was said and find out what is going to work for you. My advise is confidence followed by a willingness to learn by any mistakes you might make.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
POR is hard and glassy - when hit by 400-grit sand paper it throws off a large amount of smoke-sized dust and doesn't load up wet/dry paper at all. The stuff is even fun to sand, if you can believe that. Sand and tack-rag and coat with most anything is the way I understand it - the small area of the hitch A-frame should be a breeze to do.

The first mental image I got at your question of paint matching was, depending on the color of the tow vehicle, how badly my shins would hurt the eleventeenth time I ran into pavement colored or other camouflaged color A-frame steel.... Ouch.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Painting over POR 15

Saw this on VTS web site

POR-15 Self-Etching Primer

"Painting over cured POR-15 must be done with care. POR-15 dries to such a slick, impervious surface that topcoats don't bond to it properly. That's why topcoats should be applied while POR-15is still in what we call the "finger drag" stage of drying. If you've let your POR-15 paint cure beyond that point, you'll need to use this self-etching primer to create the proper bond between POR-15 and your topcoat. With POR-15 Self-Etching Primer, you can even topcoat POR-15 that's been in place for months or years.
POR-15 Self-Etching Primer is engineederd specifically as a bonding coat for POR-15. It is NOT a high-build primer. But it can be sprayed on almost any painted surface and can be topcoated in 15 - 30 minutes. It bonds incredibly well to POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint, and all topcoats bond incredibly well to POR-15 Self-Etching Primer. It can be sanded lightly, and, if desired, multiple coats may be applied."
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
Saw this on VTS web site

POR-15 Self-Etching Primer

"Painting over cured POR-15 must be done with care. POR-15 dries to such a slick, impervious surface that topcoats don't bond to it properly. That's why topcoats should be applied while POR-15is still in what we call the "finger drag" stage of drying. If you've let your POR-15 paint cure beyond that point, you'll need to use this self-etching primer to create the proper bond between POR-15 and your topcoat. With POR-15 Self-Etching Primer, you can even topcoat POR-15 that's been in place for months or years.
POR-15 Self-Etching Primer is engineederd specifically as a bonding coat for POR-15. It is NOT a high-build primer. But it can be sprayed on almost any painted surface and can be topcoated in 15 - 30 minutes. It bonds incredibly well to POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint, and all topcoats bond incredibly well to POR-15 Self-Etching Primer. It can be sanded lightly, and, if desired, multiple coats may be applied."
I used a spray version of the primer they sell it @ the Por 15 website. Also I used por 15 hardnose as a top coat over the por 15 paint. GET ER DONE!!!