Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
After experiencing the same thing as Jason with Por-15 (only I was going to Mexico the next week & had to don a bathing suit!), I found out that they also make a solvent that removes it from your skin. I used it when I coated my second frame & it really did remove it from my skin. Super strong stuff, so you still want to cover up, but at least you don't have to wear it for two weeks, or use a scrubby pad to remove the top layer of your skin to get it off! (which is what I did last time!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty's Dad View Post
Hi All,

Our well-traveled 2004 Bambi is showing a little rust on the A-frame, so i was thinking about doing a ilttle brushing and painting. And what the heck, take a look at the frame underneath too.

So, I did, to the extent that it can be seen beneath the underbelly. I'm not sure if what I'm seeing should cause me to:

1) freak out, head up to Jackson Center, and spend $$$$ getting this thing fixed
2) remove all the underbelly and do more investigation (or have a pro do more)
3) Wirebrush/repaint what I can get to
4) Re-rivet the loose underbelly and ignore it - all iron rusts at least a little.

Pics attached (I hope). If not, will include in the next post.

Most of the rust is patchy and fine-grained, what I'd call "surface rust", and which I'd do no more than wirebrush and paint if even that, for a ferrous object I'd find around the house or under my car.

But in the rear end, by the stabilizer jacks, the rust is somewhat flakier (and flaky under the paint), the underbelly is sagging from down from corrosion around the rivets, and it's generally a lot less pretty. So is this Kryptonite (i.e. a Bad Sign)?

If the solution involves me removing and replacing the underbelly, where do I get the panels? And is there anything better to use than aluminum, which is obviously just a setup for corrosion with the iron frame. Just use the usual pop rivets (same problem), or are these special somehow?

Thanks for your patience and expertise!
Jon

from what i'm seeing it's all surface which por 15 loves! but pic 3 is a bit more oh no! i would grind that back to see the damage as that's rusting inside out but if all is good por it all!! as for aluminium vs steel well a layer of paint will stop the reaction and from what i have seen the amount of corrosion is minimal so a coat of paint between the two should stop it for atleast a lifetime!!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
My frame broke the other day in the wilds of Montana. I got inside and couldn't get back out the door was stuck. I didnt realize what had happened until I got home to Oregon. I bet the insurance doesnt pay for this kind of thing. Henceforth I will take rust a bit more seriously. Is my beautiful trailer worthless now? Never build on a crumbling foundation I guess is the lesson
Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
After experiencing the same thing as Jason with Por-15 (only I was going to Mexico the next week & had to don a bathing suit!), I found out that they also make a solvent that removes it from your skin. I used it when I coated my second frame & it really did remove it from my skin. Super strong stuff, so you still want to cover up, but at least you don't have to wear it for two weeks, or use a scrubby pad to remove the top layer of your skin to get it off! (which is what I did last time!)

I got some of that with it. It still only takes it off if it hasn't dried. I made the mistake of thinking that it hadn't dried on the trailer so it hadn't dried on my skin. WRONG. it dries faster on skin.

In fact my trailer frame was still tacky at noon today. 5% humidity and 90 degree weather.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkrichards View Post
My frame broke the other day in the wilds of Montana. I got inside and couldn't get back out the door was stuck. I didnt realize what had happened until I got home to Oregon. I bet the insurance doesnt pay for this kind of thing. Henceforth I will take rust a bit more seriously. Is my beautiful trailer worthless now? Never build on a crumbling foundation I guess is the lesson
The short answer is no, it's most likely not worthless at all! The "most likely" part comes in when it comes to any other damage that the broken frame may have caused, specifically in the shell. This is a hard way to learn that lesson...

This will however be a big project; I would say a shell off to be realistic since the frame will have to be welded and if it's badly rusted then pieces will need to be replaced.

This may put it out of the realm of what you want to do, which would then put you in a difficult position since it will be hard to command a decent price for the trailer if it has a broken frame. Do you have pictures? You might as well pull the belly pan to get a look at it since it will have to come off anyway....

Sorry to hear about this. I would imagine that the floor would help hold everything together to prevent the damage from twisting everything in terrible ways... fingers crossed that that's the case...
Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My advice is REMOVE ALL THE PINK STUFF and and don't put it back. I was messing with the step area in mine today and I know I got all the leaks fixed months ago but the pink stuff was still damp doing its job of rusting the frame out. If you see holes in your belly pan and you can see pink stuff it has gotten wet and fallen against the skin and frame.

Perry
Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
The Demon Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
My advice is REMOVE ALL THE PINK STUFF and and don't put it back. I was messing with the step area in mine today and I know I got all the leaks fixed months ago but the pink stuff was still damp doing its job of rusting the frame out. If you see holes in your belly pan and you can see pink stuff it has gotten wet and fallen against the skin and frame.

Perry
Yup, pink stuff is outta there, and definitely not going back. It was still wet, still rotting the frame, and worse, the rear end of the crummy chipboard floor. There were mushrooms, actual mushrooms, growing downward from that floor into the insulation.

Luckily the floor, once dried, still seems reasonably sound.

The rust has been ground; no perforations or major thinning, thank zeus, and been marine cleaned. Today comes the metal ready, and tomorrow I start the POR15 routine. How many coats ya'll use?

jon
Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Two coats. They have to be applied within a time frame. I can't recall how many hours (it says on the can. The paint will still be a bit tacky when you apply the second coat.

You're not along in the mushroom club. I had them inside, between the gaucho & the wall. I could put my fist through the floor. This the rusty frame!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I sprayed the second coat after I did the first coat. The first coat was still wet. I think if you are brushing you may have to wait till it is a little tacky. Depends on moister in the air for dry time. Mine took over 24 hours to dry.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
What they want is the solvent carriers to be evaporated when the second coat goes on, if/as the top layer flash cures while high solvents remain in the base coat there can be wrinkle finish, sags and bubbles.

The hard to reach areas saw the equivalent of three or four coats on mine both when brushing and spraying. One good place to triple up on is the belly sheet attachment areas. You're going to have to be very deliberate with few interruptions to catch every spar and outrigger inside flange and every weld. Catching the missed areas is what the second-plus coats are very good at but know gauging bare metal coverage is 300% easier than doing recoating of the same color.

One point I've noticed is the POR-15 did not like to cover the sharp edges of the stamped outriggers and spars, it visibly drew back the film from the edges where the belly aluminum wraps will likely be in contact with. If I can suggest one thing it would be taking a brush and adding a little 'beading' those sheet metal edges as the final part of the process...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
In Conclusion

The frame rust project is finally finished (at least on the rear 3rd). Thanks so much to all who advised us on fixing this. We would not have known what to do

Summarizing, the problem was frame rust on a pretty new trailer ('04). Just spotty surface rust in front. But in the rear section, rust heavily flaking; in addition the belly pan was falling down and exposing puffy pink insulation. So, we:

1) Drill out the remaining belly pan rivets in back; over most of it, the aluminum has completely rotted away around the rivets.

2) Remove belly pan and a slab of sopping wet insulation. The rear foot or so of the floor is soaked and actually growing mushrooms.

3) With mean wire wheel on an angle grinder, mechanic's creeper, full face shield and gloves, grind away most of the rust. Wire brush and sand where the grinder can't reach, break gloss on remaining paint. No rust perforation, and the floor is drying nicely, yay!

4) Next day, scrub down metal with POR-15 marine clean (chemical gloves and the face shield again) to clean all the metal. Follow this with POR-15 Prep and Ready, which allegedly prepares the metal for...

5) Next day, 3 coats of POR-15 applied by brush. Hot humid day, about 3 hours between coats to dry to the touch while retaining "finger drag". Follow with very light coat of spray primer in sun-exposed areas three hours later - this is supposed to allow a topcoat of paint to stick.

6) Next day, 2 coats of gloss enamel applied by brush to primed areas.

7) Next day, buy 22 ga 4X10 Al sheet at roofing supply - the belly pan is too rotted to save, and the sheet is 50 bucks with lots left over for the future. Cut, drill, and attach with monster rivets from Vintage Trailer. This belly pan is waayyy thicker than the old one, which I think is a good thing.

No insulation currently. Next year, I wanna take the pan down again and see if we're still dry and corrosion-free. If so, may reinsulate following your recommendations.

Our leak seems to be around a rear hatch under the bed. We challenged the entire rear section with a hard hose-spray and that's the only place H2O came in. I guess road/tire spray could be entering from below too; we'll find out.

THANKS AGAIN!
jon