Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
How do i get this thing off of here.

Below is a video of me trying to figure out how to prepare the shell for lifting without damaging the subfloor or interior structure. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
OklaOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
On the interior, you will need to remove all of the lower interior skins to give you access to the U-channel at the bottom of the wall. You will also need to remove the interior wheel well covers. Once this is done, you will see that the exterior wheel wells are installed under the subfloor (so they stay with the floor/frame), but they are riveted to the shell. These rivets need to be drilled out as well. There will be bolts and screws that connect the U-channel to the floor and to the outriggers. Remove/break all these off.

There will also be a "hold down plate" in the front, and probably in the back as well. This plate is attached to the frame, and is riveted to the shell with a double row of horizontal rivets. These need to be drilled out.

I believe that on the 60's vintage trailers, the U channel at the bottom of the wall rests on the floor, but does not wrap around the floor (like on the 70's era). Confirm this, and if the channel is just resting on the floor, then there is no need to separate it from the shell (in fact you will be making a lot of work for youself if you do).

You will also need to remove the celing assembly for your AC so that your ceiling is flat. That way, you can run a beam from front to back and hoist against it, distributing the pull across the length of the roof. Pad the beam so that you don't damage your interior skins with rubbing/scratching.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
So I want the U channel to stay with the shell not on the floor? But the belly skin is wrapped around the edge of the u channel so how do I get that to separate without separating the shell that it's tucked under?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaOverland View Post
So I want the U channel to stay with the shell not on the floor? But the belly skin is wrapped around the edge of the u channel so how do I get that to separate without separating the shell that it's tucked under?
Remove ALL the rivets that are used for the underbelly wrap, AT THE RUB RAIL LINE.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The "C" or as you called it the "U" channel stays attached to the floor. The belly pan that the warped over the "U" stays for now also. All the rivets as stated above that are around the lower perimeter need removal. All of the rivets that are in the wheel well area will also need to be removed. There will be a front steel hold down plate that all the rivets will need to be removed. All of the interior lower skin will need to be removed.

When the shell is removed you will have the "U" channel, the wheel wells and and the front hold down plate still attached to the frame assembly.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Okay. That makes since. Then I can take the "u/c" channel off and the subfloor after making my templates for the replacement plywood.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Yup, there also could be some rivets in the vertical leg of the u/c channel into the circumferential frames, these will need removal also.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
Dilla Villa

1985 25' Sovereign
Alvin , Texas
what do you attach to the top of the airstream body to lift it?
TammyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There are a couple of ways to lift the shell.

1. Attach cross members (2x6 lumber) from side to side about a foot off the floor. Jack these up until the shell is free from the frame and floor. Support the shell with cribbing and more cross members. Drive the frame out and lower the shell to the ground

2. Remove the vents, run a beam lenthwise, then lift with gantry as described in post #2. Again, pull the frame out and lower to the ground.

In both cases be sure to anchor the shell to the ground. More than once a shell has been blown over in a wind gust. Unless you are working inside.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote