Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #99
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
Safari Tim's Avatar
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,921
Images: 35

Boy that's a great looking job on that floor. Much better than the dealers work. That is so sad in this day and age. It costs so much for the *dealer* work and you get so much less.

I'm sure your quite satisfied with it now and can move on to some more fun stuff.

Good work!

1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:17 AM   #100
Rivet Master
JohnG's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 541
Have to agree SF. It's really ashame, but it all goes back to a very old saying, "If you want it done right, then you have to do it yourself."

Wonder if that saying came along because of shabby work many years ago....

Just adding my 2 worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #101
Rivet Master
Bob Thompson's Avatar
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 936
Images: 67
Joe, Sorry I checked this thread out late, but I want to say good job on the floor installation. Using extra screws in the installation is a big plus. The plywood definitely does contribute to strength and stiffness to the floor platform and the whole structure. Its the same principle as attaching sheetrock to flimsy 20 gage metal studs to make a sturdy wall in the construction of buildings. Using the West Systems epoxy will make the plywood somewhat stronger, but it won't make it water resistant unless you applied at least 3 coats. And, it won't make it rot resistant unless you completely encapsulate the wood. In the 80's, I used West Systems to build a racing sailboat so I am very familiar and experienced with it. Fact is, I used some tonight to fix a ferrule on a windsurfing mast for my nephew.

In my trailer, I wanted to prevent wood rot so I considered two wood preservatives I've used in the past. One is the green copper napthanate basically the same stuff in wolmanized lumber. This should never be used on an Airstream as the copper in the preservative will cause big problems with the aluminum skin. The second wood preservative I've used in the past was Olympic Stain wood preservative. Olympic Stain is primarily mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil, fungicides, insecticides, and water repellents. It seemed like the best choice for my application since I planned to put down foamed backed sheet vinyl flooring. Before replacing the finish flooring, I flooded the plywood with the Olympic Stain wood preservative, then let it dry for a couple weeks before installing the new vinyl. It was a bit "fumy" for the first month or so, but after 2 months no noticeable paint smell.

This was just a thought I had while reading your posts, and I wanted to pass it along plus, I wanted to say good job. My hat is off to you! To bad I don't still live in Austin, I'd love to drop over and see your trailer.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #102
New Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
Ditto on the great job. Thanks for the output.

How much do you estimate it cost you to make the repairs and how much time
did you expend on the physical labor?

Thanks, I'm next.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #103
3 Rivet Member
Joe Z's Avatar
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
Images: 3
Originally Posted by farmer
How much do you estimate it cost you to make the repairs and how much time
did you expend on the physical labor?
The materials were under $100 including plywood screws & Vulkem.

As far as labor hours are concerned I wasn't counting.......but it was signifigant. I can tell you I worked on this off and on for a few weekends. Had to completely remove a few pieces of inner skin, disconnect electric and water, remove exterionr banana wrap in the rear corner to get at the carriage bolts, as well as remove caulking that had been applied to the lower beltline above the rear bumper. After I removed it all and put it back together I had to do numerous leak checks before I felt comfortable that I had actually corrected the root cause of the problem.


Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.