Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Angry

Joe

Don't relent, If anybody was ever in the right, you are.

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:02 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Exclamation Compression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
All - Looking into replacement plywood and have a question. The original flooring is 5/8 OSB with about 1/8 - 1/4 inch skimmed off of the thickness around the edge in order for it to fit under the aluminum U channel. How do I do that to the new piece of 5/8 in that I am going to stick in there? Looks like there is only room for about 1/2 inch or less under the U channel. Joe
I would think that the orginal flooring was 5/8" all the way out to the edge. The 1/8"-1/4" missing is actually due to the compression of the body on the floor. If you have ever seen the pictures of how they assemble the units, they put the entire floor down first then add the body. I can't see a production line taking the time to grind down the floor edges. Also it would seem to me that by notching the plywood you are defeating the purpose of having the frame and channel bolted thru the floor. The floor is part of the structure. These are just my observations. I have floor to be replaced too. I plan on replacing bolts thru the frame with stainless so if leaks occur again they won't rust off and break.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Aaron - You'll just have to take my word for it (I'll post pictures later). My trailer was assembled with one solid piece of 5/8" OSB, 29' long with an edge that is 1/8-1/4" shallower than the rest of the board. This edge comes in about 3" all the way around the trailer. I don't think the factory used a router here I believe these pieces of OSB were manufactured this way for Airstream. I know it sounds strange and I haven't really seen the logic in it but it is true.

Also, I said in an earlier post that I was able to gain access to the carriage bolts in the rear of the trailer and won't have to notch there. Didn't get as lucky aound the side - but I think I'll be ok just notching the board and sliding it around the carriage bolts in those locations and then tightening them down. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
here's a question: when did they go to 5/8? mine is 3/4 plywood....wonder if they were trying to save weight on the otherwise heavier newer models? is the 5/8 OSB as strong as 3/4 ply? I was thinking of using OSB for my floor replacement (rear 2 feet only)...wonder if that would be too heavy? probably won't make that much of a difference, since its only the last 2 feet.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:47 AM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
here's a question: when did they go to 5/8? mine is 3/4 plywood....wonder if they were trying to save weight on the otherwise heavier newer models? is the 5/8 OSB as strong as 3/4 ply? I was thinking of using OSB for my floor replacement (rear 2 feet only)...wonder if that would be too heavy? probably won't make that much of a difference, since its only the last 2 feet.
Must have been in the 80's Mine is 3/4" also. When did the make the switch to OSB? Did it coincide with the introduction of the wider body?

Joe, does your trailer have the flat channel that just sits on top of the plywood or the "F" channel that actually covers the edge of the OSB?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Aaron - My trailer actually has what appears to be a "U" channel with a "C" channel below it. One solid piece of Aluminum. Completely covers the exterior edge of the OSB. Sits on top of the steel frame in the rear. I've attached a diagram for reference:
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2004, 10:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
With a little extra effort, that scabbed, patched floor could have been made impossible to believe, "all together."

How very sad, indeed.

Flooring should not be scabbed or sectioned in, especially at the rear end.

If the job is going to be undertaken, with just a little more effort, the complete rear section of floor can be replaced. Satisfaction will be guaranteed, if the time and patience was devoted to the job. It's really not a big deal to replace the entire rear section of flooring.

Patch jobs are patch jobs. Seldom do they take the place of proper repair, and almost 100 percent of the time, will turn around and bite you, when you least expect it, and sometimes on the anatomy, where you don't want it.

Scabbing and/or patching is no more than a temporary fix, that is usually passed on to some other owner.

Unfortunately, we deal with many of those owners, who bought a patched trailer, everyday. The look on their faces, when told what it will take to remedy the problem, is worse than gloomy.

Any Airstream can last for many decades. We now have some that are almost 70 years old, and still going strong. Reaching 100 years old, for an Airstream, is a piece of cake. "But," when repaired, "it's gotta be right."

Taking the coach to some dealers, can be risky. Ask the dealer to tell you in "detail" how they plan on repairing whatever needs attention on the coach.
If you receive hymns and haws and sort of's, be wary. Any pro at work, can explain, in detail, what they would do for you. If they can't, hook up and go elsewhere.

Patches are short term temporary fixes. Correct methods are the ideal, long lasting, smiling, I'm glad I took the extra time, type repairs.

Makes a person "happy."

You can choose

Or, you can be

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #28
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I've never had work done at either the Airstream dealership in Buda or North Dallas so I suppose I should stay out of this discussion, BUT my wife's neice who lives in Dripping Springs near Austin tells us that she took her 32' Excella into Buda for some minor repairs (find a leak) and they managed to "break off" her entire a frame in moving the trailer into or out of the shop area with a fork lift. From the sound of things the dealership in Buda may have some problems. Given the closenit community that most Airstream owners become, it doesn't take too many problems such as this before a dealer may find himself out of business.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #29
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
By the way BARKINGSPIDER, if it would serve your purposes in dealing with the factory so as to show that your experience wasn't just a random event, I don't mind contacting my relatives in Dripping Springs and asking permission to give you their names and address so as to try and get the two of you together. I'm relatively certain they wouldn't mind, but I want to ask them first. Just a thought.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Joe - Thanks for the "heads up". I was thinking "oh boy! An Airstream dealer in Buda!" We moved from Buda about 4 yrs. ago. My Dad and brother live in Austin. So, we go back about once a year.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #31
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
Aaron - My trailer actually has what appears to be a "U" channel with a "C" channel below it. One solid piece of Aluminum. Completely covers the exterior edge of the OSB. Sits on top of the steel frame in the rear. I've attached a diagram for reference:
Thanks Joe,
That is what I suspected. The older units only have the top part of the "U" it just sits on top of the plywood. Now to figure out the best way to fix it

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Aaron.

The fix is easy.

Use at least twice as many bolts, and where the bolts go through the frame at the rear, make some flat plates about 6 inches long that fit in the floor channel.

Add a small outrigger outward of the frame at the rear.

Then install more bolts through that flat plat, into the frame.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Andy - what is smallest repair you would suggest - 4x8 sheet worth? Just curious

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hmmm add another outrigger to the frame - how far in from the back?

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
New Floor is Cut & Ready To Install

All - The new floor has been cut to size and is ready to install. The repair is going to look ten times better than either of the Airstream dealers repair jobs - not to mention it might actually be structurally sound. What a concept! An 1/8" has been taken off of all edges that fit under the "U" channel just like the factory flooring. I haven't slid it in completely because I'm not sure I'll be be able to get it out once I get it seated correctly & I need to find and fix the leak before doing that. I now have two pieces of inner skin off in that corner and tomorrow I will have my wife start spraying water on the trailer starting from the ground up. Should be able to diagnose the leak this way. Hopefully It's the plumbing vents........I ordered new gaskets from Inland RV this week and they should arrive close to next weekend.

I still can't believe all of this began when I decided to remodel the interior of my trailer. Everything is ready to go back in as soon as I find the leak and finish the floor. If you want to see that thread it is located at:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11190

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Floor.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	7161  
Old 06-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #36
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Joe,
Tell me about it! We bought ours thinking all it would need was a long weekend of cleaning and we would be ready to go....Yeah Right! Decided to go ahead and pull the floor covering out, then the front gaucho, then the fridge, then found several leaks, then found out the bathroom floor needs replacing, then..... Not to mention having to replace a Vista View and then deciding to add Fantastic Fans. If we are lucky it should be back on the road by September.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Are you guys sure?

I have read on other letters here that the channel is one piece and referred to by somebody as Y channel.

But I am thinking that it is only Y channel olong the sides. And the in the rear and front it is simply U channel. Because they could not bend in the curves in the Y channel.

Also if it was Y channel in the rear the clamshell method would not work.

By Y channel I mean the U on top with the C underneath as Barking spider illustrates a few letters up.

Also Barkingspider it looks like you are pretty talented repair man yourself. Why in the world did you take it to a shop to begin with?

Pashaska has said good things about the Buda repair center I do believe.
What is a barkingspider anyway? Sounds like a sportscar that needs a tune-up.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Roadeo - I actually think the "Y" channel you are referring to goes around my entire trailer, front, back and sides. At least from what I've seen so far. I found one section, near the access door where the piece stops and about 3/4" further a new section of "Y" channel begins. But I've only taken off two pieces of inner skin so I can't tell you how they laid the whole trailer out.

The reason I took the trailer to the dealer in Buda was a matter of time and money. In this particular instance I felt my time was worth more than what it would cost me to take it to someone who "knew what they were doing". BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!!

On a positive note.....there's not much on my trailer that I'm afraid to take apart. Now getting it all back together......that may be a different story! Joe
Old 06-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
What is a barkingspider anyway?

In this part of the country, we have a lots of "Rocky Mountain Barking Spiders: They love beans that have been cooked over a campfire.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Ken - Glad to hear barkingspiders aren't limited to Texas and Arizona (where I originally heard of them). When I joined eBay five years ago I was trying to think up a handle that no one else had - low and behold "Barkingspider1" was born! When I joined the forum it was a no brainer when choosing a handle......I've been amazed at how many questions I've got about the name since I joined. In my five years on eBay, over 100 transactions, I've never had someone ask me about the name. I join the forum and almost the first day someone is asking me 'Hey Joe, where'd you come up with that name". Airstreamers must eat a lot more beans than eBayers! - Joe