Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #21
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
interesting factoid...

using the 50lbs per cubic ft assumption of wood, for a sheet of ply to be about the same weight as this 1" honeycomb the wood would need to be between 1/4" and 5/16"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've been a woodworking hobbyist much longer than an alumihead. Glue in any sort of flat product is denser than wood, so density is usually greater with ply than solid of the same species. And of course OSB or chip board has much more glue and gets very heavy.

This sounds like an interesting project! Please keep us filled in.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Congratulations! It sounds like great material.

Are you are going to use adhesives to put it down, instead of poking lots of screw holes through it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #24

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
hmm no glue probably

I'm starting to think about using fasteners that show or are capped in some "airstream looking" way.

i fell asleep last night thinking about a nice bright Marmoleum floor decorated by clean oversized rivets! been looking around at hardware this afternoon, it might not be rivets i used, but something with a smooth domed head showing.

this is also could be part of a way to address the bi metal issue, it could be used to isolate the aluminum floor from steel connection hardware, i an working on a drafting that explains I'll post it soon
Old 09-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #25

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
i would like to find a way to really showcase or bring attention to the fact that my floor is different. I already think i will include some spot in the trailer that shows a cut away for folks to check out.
a few more thought around that theme make me ponder what connection hardware would be best as i mentioned in the last post.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
inserts

Check these out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf honey comb inserts.pdf (481.7 KB, 170 views)
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #27

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
thanks Aerowood, great info, i was planning on asking the company that made mine what they recommended for full thickness connections, seems like you probably already answered that one!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
artist's perspective

I am not a mechanical expert and won't comment on that aspect of this interesting material, but when you mentioned you were thinking of ways to highlight the material so it showed in the finished floor, it gave me the idea of possibly cutting thin, say 1" strips of it, turning it on its side and laying the strip into the floor with the honeycomb exposed at regular intervals or in a pattern.

That presents a problem with it collecting dirt...so maybe you could fill the strips in with an epoxy, something clear or colored? Could be a very cool look.

good luck, krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #29

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarris
I am not a mechanical expert and won't comment on that aspect of this interesting material, but when you mentioned you were thinking of ways to highlight the material so it showed in the finished floor, it gave me the idea of possibly cutting thin, say 1" strips of it, turning it on its side and laying the strip into the floor with the honeycomb exposed at regular intervals or in a pattern.

That presents a problem with it collecting dirt...so maybe you could fill the strips in with an epoxy, something clear or colored? Could be a very cool look.

good luck, krista
kinda a neat idea, but sadly this must be kept as whole sheets to be strong i would guess, the honey comb is actually very bendable and has its strength from the full structure. i can see a counter made from it that could have a good clear t part resin to cap the exposed edges.... hmmm thoughts abound
Old 09-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #30
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Rivka; Let me know what happens when you accidentally drop a frying pan or cast iron pot or even a sharp knife that might land pointy end down on the floor. I'ld be interested to know. Nice to hear you have all the tools to do the job. Good Luck Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #31

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Rivka; Let me know what happens when you accidentally drop a frying pan or cast iron pot or even a sharp knife that might land pointy end down on the floor. I'ld be interested to know. Nice to hear you have all the tools to do the job. Good Luck Tim

yes that is a thought, a pessimistic one , but a thought nun the less.

thankfully this is a trail and one i am working to keep light, so no cast iron for me thank you. and the knife thing?... i will assume that with the great Marnolium i am planning to put down , it would be this layer, that i would worry about. Same as everyone else in their trailers. and the frying pan, not that i cook much, but when i do i'll make sure to have a good grip and keep the butter off my hands!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #32
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
seeing as you're going down this avenue, I wouls recommend the West Systems book they offer on epoxy use.also you might want to look at Advanced Composite Techniques/ Smith. For structural bonding Hysol works extremely well. Sorry about the pessimistic view but the stuff I build fly's, gotta look at all the goods and bads. Truly tho I wish you the best. Wanna Sell a half sheet and send it to me?? You are quite ambitious for a 74 yr. old!!! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #33

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
Wanna Sell a half sheet and send it to me?? You are quite ambitious for a 74 yr. old!!! Tim
after so much na saying, what do you want a half sheet for? jk
-Rivka

ps, im not 74 i was made in '74
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Careful 'Gunner, I think that was a Date of Birth of '74, not 74 years old!! But then maybe you knew that and was just messin' with 'er.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #35
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
I wanna make a semi eliptical dinnette table. And I WAS NOT nay saying just speaking from my experience with the stuff. Sorry bout the age thing, I'm old enough to be your dad! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #36

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
I wanna make a semi eliptical dinnette table. And I WAS NOT nay saying just speaking from my experience with the stuff. Sorry bout the age thing, I'm old enough to be your dad! Tim
Tim, relax, i was just poking at you. and no worries about the age thing or anything else, I'm a girl with a think skin and a twisted sense of humor at times.

as for reselling some, since this is the only sheets of this i ever expect to get my hands on, i am going to wait till my project is done before selling the extra. Wish i could have bought 3 times as much and passed the chance onto others. i will keep checking in on boeing surplus like i always do and if it ever comes in again i will buy it right away and offer it at cost to the forums.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
hi rivka,

did you ever get that honeycomb put in? how's it working out? i'd love to learn from your experience.

happy holidays!
skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Somehow i think i know the answer to your question. This thread, if you check the dates, lasted all of 3 days and dried up.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote