Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Holding tank warming

While removing what was left of the bathroom floor in my Overlander, I noticed the hot air duct was cut out on the bottom to direct air into the black water tank area. Being new to travel trailers, I was glad someone else had thought to keep this area from freezing because it was a "well DUH!" moment for me.

At issue is that the bulk of my floor came out in handfulls, and I do not know if there was an exit hole somewhere else on the decking. If there is no exit, air would not circulate beneath the tank guided by that cool looking piece of molded styrofoam. My first thought is no, the air exits around the emptying valve. My second thought was to check the forum to see if anyone had better information.

Does anyone know where the heated air exits the holding tank box?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I'm not sure exactly where yours exits but in my mh there was a duct in the box. The gray tank was formed for this to fit in and the duct had a couple of holes in the side for heated air to escape. Is there anywhere in the top of the tank(s) where a duct had run? FWIW it eventually comes up under the shower pan to another flexible duct.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My setup is a little different

Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
Is there anywhere in the top of the tank(s) where a duct had run?
My rectangular black water tank is molded with a roughly three inch radius, semi circle cutout near one corner where the heated air enters. The opposite corner of the same side is missing (by design) to give a somewhat "dog-eared" appearance. The floor was still solid in that area, so I know an exit hole was not there. My model does not have a gray water tank, and I did not identify any other ducting.

The air probably exits around the drain valve. Once the new decking, and metal support box for the black tank are installed, I will do a sanity check to make sure the air can exit somewhere. I am still amazed at how much of the floor had turned to mulch - It made feature identification tough-to-impossible.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
The air probably exits around the drain valve
After it comes out the tank box under the shower there is a short hose to a vent at the bottom of the wall. I thought about leaving the hose off and having a heated shower pan. Is there anywhere at the far end you can make another hole for it to come back inside the trailer, even inside a cabinet or? Kind of a shame to dump all that heat outside.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
Is there anywhere at the far end you can make another hole for it to come back inside the trailer, even inside a cabinet or? Kind of a shame to dump all that heat outside.
I agree it's a shame to dump the heat. That "dog ear" I mentioned looks like where it was supposed to come out, but (I need to check) the water heater sits directly above that general area.

I'll know more when the reassembly is started.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

vent

I have torn out the whole floor in my 69 overlander and it seems to me the only way the air gets out is arround the drain valve.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote