Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Weeki Wachee , Florida
Help-Sagging in the rear

There is sagging in the rear of my AS and i can see part of my holding tanks. what would be a good recommendation for reinforcing the undercarriage of the trailer where the holding tanks are stationed.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums! Others will have the answer to your question or you can search for "rear end sag" in the search tab above. I know you will find the answer here.

Again, welcome!

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiefiveo View Post
There is sagging in the rear of my AS and i can see part of my holding tanks. what would be a good recommendation for reinforcing the undercarriage of the trailer where the holding tanks are stationed.
The strength of an Airstream, IS NOT the frame, but it's in the shell. The shell holds up the frame. Beefing up the frame will offer ZERO benefit.

There are numerous posts on how to correct the rear end separation, in this Forums.

Adding addition hold downs (rivets) helps, but only after the separation and probable rotten floor has been corrected.

Andy
Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Weeki Wachee , Florida
let me clarify my previous statement because I dont think I am identifying the problem correctly and I wont know until I pick up my trailer tomorrow. what I believe is the issue is that the bottom is rotted out and the holding tanks are hanging out. I am wondering if the undercarriage under the holding tanks has corroded away, how hard is it to replace?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
The "box" that the black tank sits in could have corroded away over time. The belly wrap skin may have been damaged by road debris or salt over time and exposed the supporting angled metal frame that supports the black tank. You can rebuild this "box" and re-cover it with an aluminum skin without too much pain if you are handy. Carefully inspect the floor above to see if it is rotted away causing the tank to sag. Be cautious towing it very far if it is badly rotted as the tank may drop out on the road. Good Luck, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
bottom rotted out

Quote:
let me clarify my previous statement because I dont think I am identifying the problem correctly and I wont know until I pick up my trailer tomorrow. what I believe is the issue is that the bottom is rotted out and the holding tanks are hanging out. I am wondering if the undercarriage under the holding tanks has corroded away, how hard is it to replace?
A picture is worth a thousand words, pictures would be helpful to get good advice from helpful members.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Add some pics. Sounds like a bit of frame repair as well. You will need to drop the belly pan to really asses the problem.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Weeki Wachee , Florida
so after a close up inspection, the underneath area at the rear of the trailer has rotted away and the little bit that is remaining is keeping my black tank, which is red, from dropping down. the wood floor that the toilet sat on has collapsed too but only where the toilet sat. the area under the tub appears to be ok.

I am going to replace the skin underneath. What is the part number or the thickness of the skin underneath?

Also, does anyone know if there is anything between the skin and the black water tank? is there plywood or something else to act as a barrier?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Weeki Wachee , Florida
Also, is the wood flood decking inside the trailer all 1 piece or is it in sections?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
so after a close up inspection, the underneath area at the rear of the trailer has rotted away and the little bit that is remaining is keeping my black tank, which is red, from dropping down. the wood floor that the toilet sat on has collapsed too but only where the toilet sat. the area under the tub appears to be ok.

I am going to replace the skin underneath. What is the part number or the thickness of the skin underneath?

Also, does anyone know if there is anything between the skin and the black water tank? is there plywood or something else to act as a barrier?
As far as the thickness of the belly pan I used 5052 .032 It is a great alloy for corrosion resistance. I ordered the thickness wrong, I would use .025 because it is easy to work with. As far as the barrier between the sub floor and the tank? Not sure my trailer had a giant hole in the back where it should have been. The sub floor is in sections 4' long cant remember the width.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Weeki Wachee , Florida
Thanks Marzboy. I will look closer at mine but it does not appear there is a border between the sheet metal and the black water tank.