Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Help!! Rear floor

Repairing the rear floor rot on 1971 Tradewind. All is going as expected. However, I am looking for advice on removing the farthest rear crossmember. I want to replace it!

Can I remove it?

Should I support the rear shell?

What about the steel L bracket? Can I just cut the elevator bolts and remove to POR 15?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	269246  
Firemntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
More pictures hopefully they are not upside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	179
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	269253  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	153
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	269254  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	149
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	269255  
Old 08-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. You are digging right in there with your subfloor replacement project. My 66 Trade Wind had the same problems. However, my frame is different as my trailer is the old body style, and yours is the newer one introduced in 69. My rear cross member was solid, just surface rust.

I do not believe you will need to temporarily support the rear of your shell while you weld in a new rear cross member. Folks actually lift off the shell from the frame and set it on the ground. The shell is flimsy without the subfloor and frame to hold it up, and the frame is flimsy without the shell to hold it up. Semi monocoque they call it. Don't tow it with the shell hanging in the rear. You will have to cut out and weld in new supports for the shell and drill it for the c channel bolts.

I had to actually lift the rear of the shell ever so slightly in order to slide the new 5/8" plywood into place. I was a little nervous I might cause a ripple in the shell, but alas I did not. I had the entire rear end cap detached from the subfloor and frame, and I still had the fiberglass inner end cap along with the rear window still in place.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1311 Floor Bath.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	269268   Click image for larger version

Name:	1312 Floor Bath Out 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	269269  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
David,

Thanks so much for the reply. Looking for all the advice I can get. I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought RubyJane. I don't care what it takes I want it down perfect. No half ass stuff here. It's such a poor design in the back of these things. I sit and stair at the darn thing to try and think of a clever ways to fix the problem and eliminate future rot for me and owners to come.

I don't know what exactly that L bracket is called. But it seems like it keeps the c channel from bending in the middle. I would love to take it out, clean it and POR 15 it. I am not going with the original looking crossmember to replace. It most likely will be an I beam or box. Haven't decided yet. I might call some siding guys and see if they have any good ways to channel water away from the back. I was happy to see that the middle section of the frame was immaculate.... But I am still going to respray it. No installation cause it just holds water and rots everything around it.

Any advice from anybody would be great. I have been taking tons of pictures and will start posting when time allows.

Tom
Old 08-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	152
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	269271  
Old 08-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	146
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	269273  
Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Can someone please tell me why these pictures are all turned?
Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	126
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	269272  
Old 08-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The shell will not fall.

Don't give it a second thought. I replaced the last 4' of frame where the doody water had rotted it, no support required.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
Thanks J. Morgan!!

I'm cutting that sh/t out tomorrow. ��
Old 08-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Can I remove it?
Cut that puppy out no problems with doing it. Looks like it was in pretty bad shape.

Should I support the rear shell?
Not necessary the parts on the frame still will more than support it.

What about the steel L bracket? Can I just cut the lead elevator bolts and remove to POR 15?
You can, it's the perfect time for you to do it, otherwise the only way to get it out is to lift the shell. When you cut the cross member you're replacing below it you'll be able to pull it out.

A better option than por-15 is to replace it with aluminum! Take it to a metal shop they should be able to make you one out of aluminum that will match exactly. It's more than strong enough for the application, won't cost much, and no more rust.

Hope this part is understandable. When you put it back in slide a piece of aluminum metal that is the width of the distance between the frame rails up between the rear shell and the metal L bracket. Make it go up a few inches above the bottom of the shell so you can rivet it in place. More importantly make that piece extend a couple inches below the wood floor. Then you can bend that part forward under the back edge of the wood floor. This essentially becomes flashing material and will block water from being able to reach the back edge of the wood floor. Some sealant around the ends and no more rot! You can do similar flashing where the frame rails extend out past the shell but instead of bending down and forward they'll be like L's bending backward from under and behind the skin and back out on top of the frame rails blocking water there as well.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
HiJoeSilver, I was wondering if I could switch that bracket to Aluminum. It doesn't make sense for it to be steel. I figured it needed to be steel for some sort of support.

I can't wait to make it right!! All fired up now!!

Should the top of the flashing you said be covered up by the rub rail? Clean look? Or should I go higher and attach it to the main rear panel?

Tom
Old 08-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Oh also, when they weld the cross member back in, make sure the bumper is installed, don't need the bumper compartment parts but you want the bumper on. The uneven heat on the inside edges of the frame when welding can cause the frame rails to bow outward widening the distance where the bumper attaches. Then the bumper and bumper compartment won't fit back on correctly.
Believe it, the expansion of the hotter metal on the inner surface of the frame vs the outer surface not being welded can create enough stress to cause the frame to bend. Crazy I know!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Look at useing plastic not plywood it can't rot. don't put the rock wool back in its a spunge
Add air vents on the belly pan it needs air to dry out after rain's
Best wishes Jim
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemntom View Post
Can someone please tell me why these pictures are all turned?
Been having the same problem.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
HiJoeSilver, I was wondering if I could switch that bracket to Aluminum. It doesn't make sense for it to be steel. I figured it needed to be steel for some sort of support.

I can't wait to make it right!! All fired up now!!

Should the top of the flashing you said be covered up by the rub rail? Clean look? Or should I go higher and attach it to the main rear panel?

Tom
Yes the flashing will go up higher than the rub rail, but it will be in front of the shell metal between the shell and that L bracket so you won't be able to see it since it's covered by the original shell bottom level. You can put some Olympic rivets through it to hold it all in place then then the rub rail will cover those right up. Won't look any different from outside when done.
I recommend putting the rivets through so they catch the c channel, this way those rivets will be holding the skin, flashing , L bracket and c channel together nice and tight. Don't forget squirting a little sealant into the rivet holes before putting them in helps seal those from leaks as well. It can be a little messy. But it's worth the peace of mind.
Joe
Old 08-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
I was thinking as going as far as applying a water sealer to the existing floor from underneath. Maybe a Thompsons Water Sealer.

I also posted about redirecting the bathroom fan "fart fan" so that it blows air throughout the belly pan. I can keep it on a switch and have it turn on with a 12v humidstat, set it and forget it. I can't see why it wouldn't help dry the area out quicker.

Good or bad idea on both?

Tom
Old 08-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I was thinking as going as far as applying a water sealer to the existing floor from underneath. Maybe a Thompsons Water Sealer.
om
i would use a penetrating epoxy designed for wood.

I am doing a similar project on my 71 Tradewind. What are you planning on doing with the shower pan and bathroom surrounds. I have repaired the tambour under the lavarette several times and think it is a lost cause. I want to build a cabinet with a small sink and cabinet doors.