Old 06-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
It looks like it is coming along very nicely. I still have a ways to go on my unit and it has been about as long for me. It is good to see someone still hanging in there.

Malcolm
Thank You, Well it is coming along but I'm dying to get back into it and work. I'm looking for a house with a shop large enough to park the trailer in it here in fort Myers. If i find that for a reasonable price, I will be golden!

I looked at your photos as well, and the floor process is no fun, but it looks like you took the smart route and didn't take the hole shell off. Taking it off gave me access to do a lot of things, but it was a major PITA!

We modified and strengthened the frame, I cleaned it all up and por-15'd the entire frame hitch to bumper... and we layed down a layer of fiberglass resin on the top side and edges of the wood floor along the edge of the trailer to keep any leaks from coming down the wall and rotting the floor.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile

Here is the frame after I finished using POR-15 and covering the entire frame...I would suggest ding it in a place with good ventilation, the offices above the car audio shop I was working at stunk of fumes all the next day even after I moved the trailer frame outside.

Another shot after I did the frame, and showing the structures in place to hold the black and gray water tanks. Originally the trailer was equipped with only a black water tank and it was 20 gallons. The holding tanks are now 35 gallon black and 35 gallon gray!

Just an underside shot of the frame with the por-15 and new plywood installed. I will later spray the foam insulkation back on the underside of the frame as it had been in the original build from airstream.

There's a working photo of the new marine grade plywood being installed.

We layed a thin layer of fiberglass mat, and used fiberglass resin around the whole edge. The hopes are that in the future, should we have any leaks that allow water to get in and run down the wall, the entire edge of the trailer is protected from water penetration.

Just a fun shot! The first trip since its renovations began was to the Alumination Rally, Region 1 Rally in August of 2006. We traveled with no interior furnishings and only half of the inner skin back in place! None of my hard insulation fell while we were traveling down the road either which I was impressed by. The next photo shows the insulation and is exposed the way we traveled in it except everything from the bottom of the windows up was exposed on both sides.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Hi,nice job ,if you find that big shop in F.M. ,maybe you`ll let me use it to work on mine. LOL Good luck with your project. Dave
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Hi,nice job ,if you find that big shop in F.M. ,maybe you`ll let me use it to work on mine. LOL Good luck with your project. Dave
Hey there, yeah you're local!!! I haven't met up with anyone in the club o forums down here really except that I stopped in at the WBCCI region rally in Sarasota. Is your rig travel worthy, or waiting to be worked on? If there's anything I can help you with, please don't be shy to ask, I love working on these trailers and helping others out too. I have gotten so much help from members of WBCCI and the Forum so I am always happy to help.

WBCCI # 13657