Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Help!!! Just found rotten sub floor. Leak advice...

So here is what happened. We were having a great time pulling up the vinyl of our 69 caravel and found a good bit of rot. We know how to fix that but I need wisdom on what is leaking. The first spot is fairly clear and is below the water line running from the holding tank under the sofa on the side wall of the cabin. The second and third spots are more confusing. They are on either side of the water holding tank at the very front of the trailer. They are also directly below the two front side windows. Is it likely that the windows are leaking and water is running down behind the interior shell and rotting the floors or do you all think the water resevoir is leaking? Or could it even be an exterior leak and it is behind the walls? Currently my husband is out there trying to figure out how to get the pull out removed without destroying it to get to the problem areas...please advise!
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
When deconstructing, take LOTS of photos to help with the reconstruction process. Label the removed items as you can. All of the possible leaks are, well, possible leak sources. Deconstruction is necessary to view the area.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I would like to recommend a book called ' restoring a dream '. Thevap.com. It is full of these kind of issues and can be very helpful.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote