Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
North Dartmouth , Massachusetts
Exclamation Help! Epoxy paint over Asbestos tiles?

Hello! I am the owner of a 67' Safari and I have been trying to figure out what to do with the floor for some time. I would just like it to look better, without loosing too much of the "vintage charm". Today I thought I came up with a good solution and it led to a couple of questions.

1. Would it be a bad idea to put garage type Epoxy paint on the floor given that it won't "breath"? Though it is water repellant, a good thing with a few unfindable leaks, I wonder if it will some how trap moisture in from beneath and rot the subfloor. As of right now the floor seems solid and I'd rather leave it alone-Just give it a cosmetic upgrade. I could always tackle the floor at a later date if it's not as great as I think it might be.

Just as I came up with the idea I realized for the first time that the tiles could be asbestos...which was confirmed. Bummer.

2. Does anyone know how much asbestos is actually in the tiles? Though the floor is in tact it does have some discoloration from water damage and I've spent many hours scrubbing tiles with Scotch pads, etc. and cleaners to try to get rid of the stains for two years now. And I sweep very throughly and often. Just today with my child in the trailer! As I said the tiles are in tact without flakes or cracks and they are smooth (not shiny) but I am afraid that at least the scrubbing was a really bad thing to do. At least the epoxy would encapsulate the tiles right? I should even be able to get under cabinets, etc. with ease.

Any comments on either?

Thanks a Bunch, GGAL

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You will be fine. Paint 'em or wax 'em. If you don't disturb and release fibers into the air there should be no problem.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Thanks Melody Ranch! I never thought of waxing them.
Best, GGAL
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I agree with Melody Ranch, the asbestos is currently encapsulated into the tiles. The danger is when they are broken up and this fracturing releases "friable" fibers. They are what to watch for. if the tiles are in tact you should have no concerns. Actually painting them would further encapsulate the asbestos fibers if you are still concerned. This is what they do when dismantling commercial ovens that have an inch to an inch and a half of asbestos fibers as a part of the exterior insulation and pipe wrap. Painting the raw edges when they separate the oven panels traps the asbestos and the panels can then be shipped to a new owner, or disposed of in a special area in a land fill.

If it helps from a credibility stand point, I speak from 40+ years experience as a Corporate Director of Environmental Services for a major corporation. (just retired this June).

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Thank you and congratulations!

Thank you Dennis and congratulations on your retirement! I hope you'll have more time to spend traveling now...

It's always good to hear from someone with your experience. I appreciate your/everyone's time too.

Do you think I should be concerned with "trapping" moisture from the underbody using epoxy?

Thank you again, Sonya
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGAL View Post
Do you think I should be concerned with "trapping" moisture from the underbody using epoxy?
No.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow. Thousands of homes destroyed by hurricanes and cough we cough never cough noticed asbestos cough causing a problem cough ack!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Thank you r carl, I wouldn't want to be the cause of a problem as I learn the ways of the Airstream!

And Channing...I hope you feel better. Hope I haven't offended in some way.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Asbestos tilesl

Quote:
Thank you Dennis and congratulations on your retirement! I hope you'll have more time to spend traveling now...

It's always good to hear from someone with your experience. I appreciate your/everyone's time too.

Thank you again, Sonya
Sonya, You SHOULD be concerned about the tiles! I have removed asbestos for a living for the last 13 years. Although some here will say that the tiles are safe if not broken or cracking that is not completely correct. The "paint" used on asbestos to seal it is very different from standard house paint or even epoxy. It is a specific sealant that is not water soluble and dries to lock down fibers to a consistency of plaster of paris (hard shell). One of the things we in this business know from extensive training is you never try to sand or scrub these tiles with sandpaper, grinders or scotch brite type pads. Once the original surface seal is broken on the tiles it is very likely that fibers will have been released and can float in the air on air currents for long, long periods. Another no no is don't sweep or even vacuum any dust from the surface unless you are using a vacuum and filters designed to prevent the dust from escaping the vacuum exhaust. Additionally you and anyone in the area should be protected by a respirator with proper filters installed to prevent exposure to fibers. The most important thing you can do to prevent exposure is to wet the tiles with a soapy water solution sprayed on the tiles and remove them keeping them wet at all times as well as the adhesive that they were glued to the floor with. Too many people with a small working knowledge of commercial asbestos applications think they know the correct precautions in dealing with asbestos. That is one of the reasons so many people have been exposed to fibers that can cause cancers and lung issues and even death. Be very careful dealing with the tiles now that you have been working on them. I am a licensed asbestos supervisor in several states so I know what I am speaking about. I don't want to scare you but do every thing to protect yourself or find a reputable asbestos removal company to advise you on these tiles and how best to deal with them. Especially if you have any doubt as to what I have told you here. Be Safe, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Thank you r carl, I wouldn't want to be the cause of a problem as I learn the ways of the Airstream!

And Channing...I hope you feel better. Hope I haven't offended in some way.
No, no offense! Mercy no! Be safe and treat that stuff with respect you are and will be fine!

Peace!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Oh boy Ed thanks. I have scrubbed several areas on several occasions (always with water a little better I hope). It has dulled them some but I don't see any wear through on the color though I'm sure the initial sealant is long gone). We us the camper for family trips and have one coming up. Is there a way for someone that deals with asbestos to come check the air quality? I know I won't be able to get it removed by then. Would another type of paint be a good temporary fix?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
BigEd, I agree with everything you said about demolition and/or removal, but floor tiles in good condition...??? If she were removing them I would have more concern and would also warn her about the mastic as well. But, better safe than sorry, if there is any concern, doubt, or question perhaps she should take other precautions. I don't remember how old the trailer is, there was a specific date when the manufacture of these tiles banned the use of asbestos. And I know that it took time for the tiles in the market place to be depleted. Although she said she confirmed that it was asbestos, having been in the business you also know that just fiber counts under a microscope only confirms fiber, not necessarily asbestos fibers, and only expensive testing, such as polarized light microscopy, can positively identify the fibers as asbestos as well as identify what kind of asbestos it is.

Precautions yes, however it may be extreme to hire an asbestos removal firm to renovate the trailer for her. This is only my opinion, and everyone has one.

And remember, as you well know, keep it wet my friend.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Sonya, You SHOULD be concerned about the tiles! I have removed asbestos for a living for the last 13 years. Although some here will say that the tiles are safe if not broken or cracking that is not completely correct. <snipped> Be Safe, Ed
I have to agree with everything Ed said. I've written technical specifications for asbestos removal as part of my job, and he pretty well covers the basics in his post.

Possibly the best solution is to lay a new resilient vinyl tile floor directly over the asbestos tiles. The mastic for the new floor will prevent any asbestos fibers from escaping, and with no exposed asbestos surfaces, you don't have to worry about damaging them through normal cleaning, dropping heavy objects, etc.

But make a record of the fact that the asbestos floor tiles are there— for the benefit of the next owner.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Asbestos containing tiles

To all, I responded to an e-mail from ggal in more depth than I thought was required here and I do agree with all that has been said here. The posting cautions I made to her here were in response to the fact that she had already scrubbed on the floor tiles with a scotch brite type pad and swept the dust off the tiles. These are both no no's when it comes to asbestos vinyl tiles. To answer the age of her trailer it is a '67 just like mine. My tiles were tested and found to contain 8 percent asbestos used during manufacture as a binder. As we know anything above .1 percent is not good. Asbestos was used in tiles well into the early '80's and was finally outlawed for most uses in the U.S. in '83 if memory serves. It is still mined to this day in places like Canada. My main purpose was to caution her to be as safe as possible without exposing herself or others to loose fibers. I don't wish to beat this topic to death but any health issues to A/S owners should be a serious concern and be avoided if at all possible. Be Safe, Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote