Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Epoxy then lay another floor on top?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Not fully the correct way to proceed but typically what is done in homes all across the country
so what IS the correct way?

Also, anyone have any idea what year they stopped using linoleum tiles and started with the vinyl (asbestos) tiles?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
so what IS the correct way?

Also, anyone have any idea what year they stopped using linoleum tiles and started with the vinyl (asbestos) tiles?
Other way around, I think. Asbestos tiles came first, then they went to linoleum.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
my 62 had linoleum.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
My 56's all had linoleum and my 66's had asbestos.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Lino vs asbestos tile

I think I read somewhere that linoleum was found to wear poorly and crack easily back in the day so asbestos tiles replaced them as a more durable flooring material in A/S's and other brands of trailers but I cannot for the life of me remember where I read this info. If anyone remembers reading this and has the source please post it here. Thanks, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
sealing as a temp fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Epoxy then lay another floor on top?
Channing, I used polyurethane and applied two coats just to seal my floor as a temporary fix rather than use epoxy as the cost was considerably less. I did not cover the tiles at all in my trailer but during the process of restoring my trailer I removed all the Asbestos tiles and mastic when I rebuilt my cabinets & wood work as I stripped them out to the sub floor to assure a solid floor. As I am Licensed to do this type of removal and have all the required tools and personal protection equipment & suits to wear as well as respirators and filters so it was no big issue for me. I also had the ability to run air samples and had them checked out by a environmental lab to confirm clean air was obtained after the removal. Not cheap but for my families health sake and my peace of mind I felt the cost was more than justified. As I stated before most folks who remove asbestos vinyl tiles in older homes as a DIY job don't go thru this entire process but I did. I guess I will always err on the most correct way to deal with the threat of asbestosis and cancers that are caused by exposure to the asbestos fibers. Hope this helps, Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ed,

Excellent! When one knows the proper "procedures" it solicits... A bit.

In Austin area, most any "work" you want done will be shoddy with exception if some really great caring folks. I have seen some costs go way out of line, only called into order by my challenge. This happens too often tone accidental.

Not trying to kill the thread, but mold/asbestos"remediation" ....is a license to steal. The results are quite abstract when challenged. Some of the folks sent in are not properly trained, etc.

So, how does one get this stuff remediated properly and reasonably other than sealing in the central Texas area?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
lino as asbestos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Other way around, I think. Asbestos tiles came first, then they went to linoleum.
In the commercial and residential markets it was determined by cost what was installed. The use of asbestos in most products was as a binder and also because of its' insulating ability. The most wide spread use of asbestos was in cement as a binder and used on heating systems piping as well as furnaces to insulate & prevent heat lost or to lower heat being given off into interior areas of buildings including homes. All the concrete buildings and all the highways/roads that were built up until the Federal Government banned asbestos use that were built across the country and have not been replaced yet with newer buildings or roads/bridges are still full of asbestos. That is why so many older construction workers died of various forms of cancer and going backwards in the last century and back into the 1800's lots of workers and their family members suffered from lung and stomach ailments that were eventually tied to asbestos exposure. From companies that used the asbestos to make automotive brake linings and hoses to companies that built the naval ships and war machines that won two world wars to companies that used asbestos wire coatings on electric wiring to name a few were and still are responsible for many, many deaths of unsuspecting consumers and workers over the years. This is just a sample of what asbestos exposure has done and I have only scratched the surface of how asbestos has been used and is still present in our daily lives. The most recent expose samples that will wake everyone up to this threat was the collapse of the twin towers on 911. Remember all the dust that coated everything and everyone in NYC for months afterwards? That is why so many first responders that survived the collapse and construction workers and citizens exposed to that dusty environment as they labored to find any survivors are still suffering lingering health issues today. Asbestos will always be a very bad health risk and should always be avoided at all costs. Rant over! Ed
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ed,

Excellent! When one knows the proper "procedures" it solicits... A bit.

In Austin area, most any "work" you want done will be shoddy with exception if some really great caring folks. I have seen some costs go way out of line, only called into order by my challenge. This happens too often tone accidental.

Not trying to kill the thread, but mold/asbestos"remediation" ....is a license to steal. The results are quite abstract when challenged. Some of the folks sent in are not properly trained, etc.

So, how does one get this stuff remediated properly and reasonably other than sealing in the central Texas area?
Channing, Not tooting my horn too much here but the best way to guard against shoddy and dis-honest companies or individuals is to use a bonded and insured Reputable and state licensed removal company that has a good track record. BBB can refer folks/companies, so can your state Public Health Department. Also the best of the best in my opinion would be to use Union Asbestos workers that work under the Int'l Heat and Frost Insulators and Allied Workers. Many Locals around the country doing insulation as well as asbestos removal. I am a Proud member of Regional Local #207 out of Taylor, Michigan for 13 years. I work out of the Midwest District of this local and we cover 19 states. So when it comes to professional results we are the ones to use. Insulators locals have done this work since 1903 and are still going strong today. There are non-union companies out there but they do not train and maintain their employees certifications as well as we do. I personally hold licenses in 5 different states and have worked all over the Midwest. I even removed asbestos @ NASA in Houston, Tx. several years ago before the Space Shuttles were allowed to resume flights. I routinely work in power plants and nuclear power stations during maint. outages. I am a licensed Supervisor & I tend to boast too much about how safely we work whenever I get on a roll so I will end for now. Be Safe, Ed
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
North Dartmouth , Massachusetts
New information...

ok update, the floor tiles seem to stop just under all counters, etc. and the subfloor is bright-ish green. Did Airstream tile floor throughout while manufacturing? Any insight?

I also put one coat of a shellac based primer on the floor and it's weird before it dried it seemed like the primer caused the top layer to get soft. In addition it there is one place where the floor seemed to lift a little. Not the individual tiles but a matt like area near the door. There is a little crack there now on the ridge. Insight here also welcome...
Thanks!
GGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #32

Thunder Ba , Ontario
Thanks Ranch!