Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
North Dartmouth , Massachusetts
Thank you everyone for your input! Perhaps I will put new tiles over the tiles. I would NEVER sell without disclosing the asbestos tiles underneath that would be terrible. I was trying to save a little money painting (then found out about the asbestos) but then I had thought it would be a good alternative to encapsulate the floor if I used an epoxy type. With a vacation planned for the 22nd I need to do something ASAP. Perhaps I'll rent some other trailer...lol.

The asbestos does really make me nervous.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
BigEd is absolutely right, when it comes to the safety of ourselves and our families we should take every precaution to ensure that we are not exposing ourselves or others to any type of danger. Thanks for pointing this out.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
BigEd question: if someone were to apply a coating over the floor, like polyurethane or something like that, would that ameliorate the effects of the asbestos ?

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
BigEd question: if someone were to apply a coating over the floor, like polyurethane or something like that, would that ameliorate the effects of the asbestos ?
As a temporary fix Yes! But don't expect the finish to last like iron. You can paint on two coats to make it safer but please remember this is only temporary! Covering it with other flooring is also just a temporary fix. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
As a temporary fix Yes! But don't expect the finish to last like iron. You can paint on two coats to make it safer but please remember this is only temporary! Covering it with other flooring is also just a temporary fix. Ed
The ONLY permanent fix is removal, of course. Preferrably by a professional who knows what he's doing and has the right certification and equipment. All encapsulation is ultimately temporary.

But there's temporary, and then there's temporary. A temporary fix that will last 8~10 years is much preferred over a temporary fix that lasts 1~2 years.

So, assuming that a permanent fix is not an option right now due to cost— which I think the OP has stated— what would you recommend for a relatively long-lasting temporary encapsulation?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Encapsulation is key

No encap on any floor is guaranteed to last for years so any encapsulate application MUST be followed up with regular maintenance (re-coating) to insure that the flooring surface stays in a safe mode. That is why any epoxy or polyurethane coating of the floor tiles is really only a temporary fix. The removal of the tiles while wet and the subsequent removal of the mastic (adhesive) is the only positive way to assure the remediation of the asbestos hazard is complete. The true test of complete removal is to have the air quality inside the trailer tested. Most home owners who remove asbestos vinyl tiles from older homes never go that far. They remove the tiles and mastic and then put down a new flooring material of their choice and never give it another thought. Not fully the correct way to proceed but typically what is done in homes all across the country. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Epoxy then lay another floor on top?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
Not fully the correct way to proceed but typically what is done in homes all across the country
so what IS the correct way?

Also, anyone have any idea what year they stopped using linoleum tiles and started with the vinyl (asbestos) tiles?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
so what IS the correct way?

Also, anyone have any idea what year they stopped using linoleum tiles and started with the vinyl (asbestos) tiles?
Other way around, I think. Asbestos tiles came first, then they went to linoleum.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
my 62 had linoleum.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
My 56's all had linoleum and my 66's had asbestos.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Lino vs asbestos tile

I think I read somewhere that linoleum was found to wear poorly and crack easily back in the day so asbestos tiles replaced them as a more durable flooring material in A/S's and other brands of trailers but I cannot for the life of me remember where I read this info. If anyone remembers reading this and has the source please post it here. Thanks, Ed
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
sealing as a temp fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Epoxy then lay another floor on top?
Channing, I used polyurethane and applied two coats just to seal my floor as a temporary fix rather than use epoxy as the cost was considerably less. I did not cover the tiles at all in my trailer but during the process of restoring my trailer I removed all the Asbestos tiles and mastic when I rebuilt my cabinets & wood work as I stripped them out to the sub floor to assure a solid floor. As I am Licensed to do this type of removal and have all the required tools and personal protection equipment & suits to wear as well as respirators and filters so it was no big issue for me. I also had the ability to run air samples and had them checked out by a environmental lab to confirm clean air was obtained after the removal. Not cheap but for my families health sake and my peace of mind I felt the cost was more than justified. As I stated before most folks who remove asbestos vinyl tiles in older homes as a DIY job don't go thru this entire process but I did. I guess I will always err on the most correct way to deal with the threat of asbestosis and cancers that are caused by exposure to the asbestos fibers. Hope this helps, Ed
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ed,

Excellent! When one knows the proper "procedures" it solicits... A bit.

In Austin area, most any "work" you want done will be shoddy with exception if some really great caring folks. I have seen some costs go way out of line, only called into order by my challenge. This happens too often tone accidental.

Not trying to kill the thread, but mold/asbestos"remediation" ....is a license to steal. The results are quite abstract when challenged. Some of the folks sent in are not properly trained, etc.

So, how does one get this stuff remediated properly and reasonably other than sealing in the central Texas area?

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote