Old 04-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
OK, OK.

Who's in Central Illinois, with tooooo much time on their hands?
I'll supply the Coronas.

-Chuck

Old 04-21-2004, 09:22 AM   #30
Site Team

, Minnesota
Funchucky1,
Glad to hear you have a plan coming together. You'll be glad you took a little extra time to think through all the options.
Regarding the shower drain: according to my research, there was a left handed shower drain bezel made in late 1955 at the request of someone named Wally Gyam. It didn't catch on in the trade and was abandoned sometime in 1956.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:03 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Dang that Wally!!

OK, Yesterday was the day.
The turning point.

I've been removing the floor, starting around the edges. The areas that are water-damaged (and ANT-INFESTED) come out easily, but the screws in the channel are harder to remove because they don't just unscrew (since there's no wood for them to unscrew from).

I've been liking the idea of not removing the shell, yet still replacing the whole floor.

Things that should be easy, though, aren't: Setting my saw, for instance, to cut through the flooring without hitting the frame members. In some areas of tough plywood, I'm not cutting deeply enough, and the stuff's hard to get through; in other areas, without changing my depth, I hit the frame. I think the wood is swollen in areas.

To shorten a long story, I can now visualize much of the frame. The interior sections are nice, almost shiny and black.
The outer ends, like the outriggers - appear to have only surface rust.

BUT---The front crosspiece, directly under the front window, and the rear crosspiece, essentially directly under the rear window, are rusted. The front one has rust HOLES, The rear one is RUSTED THROUGH on the curbside.

THIS BLOWS!!!!!

So, to save the 'Stream from the scrap pile, my alternative is a body-off restoration of the frame.

HELP ME!!!!

I've got specific questions; I'll address them a little later.
My son is cranky at the moment......
Old 04-25-2004, 12:08 PM   #32
Site Team

, Minnesota
Funchucky,
Sounds like your son has a right to be cranky. Look at the pictures in my photo album, esp frameoff04,5,6,11,12. Your situation is the same as mine. I lifted the body for four reasons:
1. Easier to remove and replace the floor
2. Easier to do the frame repair
3. Easier to install new greywater tank
4. Easier to upgrade wiring and plumbing
I know these don't all apply in your case. I think you are right to revisit your decision about lifting the body or doing a total frame-off now that you have discovered the frame damage.
Best of luck, funchuck.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:44 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Well, who knows, maybe those DO all apply.

One thing I hadn't initially realized (for some reason) is that when I drill out the rivets around the perimeter, it will allow the belly pan to drop; at the same time, it'll release the outside skin - from the channel and from the small channel piece in the radii - that hold everything to the floor.
What I mean is that on the straight sides, the channel will stay affixed to the flooring, until I take out the screws and bolts; no problem.
But in the front and the back (as soon as the corner curves begin), drilling out the rivets will leave few distinct things behind: the belly pan on the ground, the body ready to be lifted, the small piece of L-bracket (that held the sides to the floor, back when there was a floor) to drop into midair.
I picked up my lumber today for the interior bracing.
And I removed the wrap / strip from the front and the rear to access all bolts.
And I gathered my sawhorses.

My plan is to lift the body, rest it on sawhorses, and pull the frame out from underneath.

How heavy will the body be? (200 lbs? 650 lbs?)???

How concerned do I need to be about it blowin' away? (It's always windy as heck here!)

How many sets of sawhorses will I need? (One front and one rear is obvious, so my question is how rigid the body will be - will I need a center support as well)?

OK, Outta time for the minute.
My wife's off tomorrow (read that as: I have a relatively free day, and it's NOT supposed to rain, I don't think)....so tomorrow may be the day to drill out the rivets.

One thing I don't get - so many people refer to removal of the belly pan as an easy deal.

But taking out those rivets - and letting the pan down---- I will need to get it back together, and it seems to me that will NOT be easy! The body will have to sit atop the newly skinned frame (new floor, that is), then the belly pan has to arrive and be held in place, then the outer skin over that - since the belly pan is sandwiched between the frame/channel and the outer skin. I don't doubt that it can be done or that I can do it, but I can't fathom how it would be easy.

-Chuck