Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Google plywood or lumber supply. Got mine a - I think you can take a look at their prices online for your comparison... Marine Tech was the manufacturer of mine- you may be able to find a local distributor from their website. There may be a higher quality for "real" boat building, but I think the diff between the stuff I used and exterior grade is just less knots, gaps/ voids and a nicer top veneer. I think the glue is the same. True "Marine" ply for boat building is probably a better species for water...

Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Where do you get real marine plywood?

Ask your local lumber yard if they can order "Hydrotech" or "Aquatech" plywood. It's the most widely distributed brand of marine plywood.

Boulder plywood in MA or Noah's in Buffalo, NY will ship small qtys.

If those are too expensive, I'd get AC fir (every lumber yard has this) and coat it with epoxy, paying particular care to the edges.

Denny Wolfe
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I went pretty much the same way, Just used standard ACX but I just mixed all of my left over cans of Poly together and coated both sides and edges multiple times. I really didn't dwell on this because I made it a quest of mine to stop the leaks. I can truly say that my GT does not leak, but it took some time to get there. During the process the floors in our hanger at work were being re-epoxied. I was able to get my hands on a couple of gallons of this cement penetrating coating which I rolled on 4 extremely wet coats on my floor, sanding in between coats. The color is white but the first 2 coats soaked in so fast that it was hard to tell that I had even applied it. The final coat was just a surface coat as the floor would not absorb any more. Most likely overkill but but it was free and easy to apply.

I think the most important thing is to stop the water from getting on the wood floors to begin with. If Airstream would have just sealed everything properly with a faying surface seal and throwing away the foam gaskets then we would not be dealing with rotted floors to begin with.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote