Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Hello

Hi,

I am a new member that owns a 1978 Soveriegn. I purchased it last year and am in the process of repairing it. It looked in pretty good shape when I bought it but on getting it home I noticed some floor rot in the front section behind the gaucho couch. Removed couch abd credenza and cut out the fist 1/2 inch thick floor panel and am in the process of replacing. However, have some frame rot on observing the frame below the floor panel, with outriggers generally rotted except for heavier guage top right angle peices.

What I want to do now is have a look at the entire frame by removing the bananna wrap and belly skins and then get a welder to fix/patch appropriately then I will paint with rust inhibitor/ paint and coat frame with Liquid Film. Can any one tell me the appropriate steps to remove bananna wrap and belly pan? I assume first step is to remove lower trim strip. Also, it looks like jacking the trailer and supporting will be a must. To jack and support I understand it should be jacked at the axle mounting plates.

Comments/ suggestions/ instructions are appreciated.

Thanks.
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Groveport , Ohio
Welcome!!

Welcome to the forum. You will find tons of helpful information and lots of nice helpful people here.
Good Luck with your new purchase!!!

2012........The year of the Airstream!!
msterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Hi and Welcome!

I'm pretty new here myself, and it took me a while to get used to finding things here, so I tho't I'd mention a couple of things to you. There are TONS! of "threads" here that have covered almost any question you could possibly want to know, but you have to read through them to find your answers. I know that there are many on floors and replacement, jacking and inspecting for instance. Across the top of the page is a blue bar with "search" to look for previous "conversations" about your subject. The search engine and the software are not the best in the world, but you can usually get results. You have to look through a lot of stuff, but much of it is there, if not all. Naturally, the gurus here don't really want to type the same answer every time somebody buys an Airstream, so some of them get defensive (and offensive ) if you ask without searching, or they just don't bother to answer again and again. You can understand that. Having said all that, if you have a problem that is just a tiny bit different or if you don't find what you are looking for you will probably get all the info you could ever need right here. Just keep digging.

Don't give up on your AS. The more you fix, the more you become impressed by the design.

Welcome,
Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome, ask away.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Welcome to the forums from a fellow Maritimer.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Hi All!,

thanks for the warm welcome. This was the first thread I posted and I didn't think it got on for some reason. I have posted one other on frame access and repair and from that and leafing through the threads am getting lot of info. I can appreciate people getting frustrated with multiple responses to the same question and will try to minimize.

By the way - Streamer23 - how many airstreams in the Maritimes and is there a formal chapter or something?

Thanks again.
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toga
Hi All!,

thanks for the warm welcome. This was the first thread I posted and I didn't think it got on for some reason. I have posted one other on frame access and repair and from that and leafing through the threads am getting lot of info. I can appreciate people getting frustrated with multiple responses to the same question and will try to minimize.

By the way - Streamer23 - how many airstreams in the Maritimes and is there a formal chapter or something?

Thanks again.

Hi toga,

There is a formal chapter of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI) in the Maritimes.They are called the Canadian Atlantic Unit and have 17 members as per the 2006 WBCCI directory.You can find out some more about them if interested at
http://www.wbcci1.org/

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Welcome to the forums toga! I see you are from Moncton, New Brunswick. My wife and I were in your neighborhood (we stopped at an Atlantic Superstore) on our way to a very nice B&B (Victoriana Steeves) and the Salem & Hillsborough RR. We weren't AS owners then (still aren't) but we plan on picking ours up this weekend. Wish you well with your project. Our next vacation will include the AS and will most likely be in Nova Scotia - again! yeah!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote