Old 09-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hall closet floor collapse...

We installed an Elfa drawer system in the hall closet of our 2016 30' Serenity.

Turns out, the floor of this closet is not designed to handle very much weight, particularly in the back and sides. The floor of the closet is not supported with legs going down to the floor of the coach. The closet floor is suspended with a few screws going into the side walls of the closet. We found this out when the screws supporting the closet floor stripped out and the floor collapsed under the weight of our closet drawer unit.

I needed to rebuild the closet floor with supports going down to the coach floor... working around the water and furnace lines and conduits.

Ultimately, it all worked out just fine, as our closet floor is now very strong and solidly supported all the way down to the floor of the trailer - not dependent on a few screws into the side walls.

Just an FYI to anyone who may not know that the closet floor in some of these coaches is unable to bear very much weight! Airstream could have made the floor of the hall closet very strong, but decided not to. Good news is that with some woodworking skills, the closet floor can be very well supported!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Went through this with our '83 27' Excella.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Our '81 Excella had the same problem, I believe it was 1/4" plywood for the floor. I glued ribs to the bottom of it to stiffen the floor.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Thanks for the heads up. Never thought of that. Our hall closet floor has the hatch to the water pump and the side to the shower has the access panel to the shower faucet. We may just keep this hall closet for hanging items. It's also used for long items such as floor sweeps and possible future stick-like vacuum.

Kelvin
Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
You should see how the vanity top on my SOB was supported. Or should I say, unsupported!

I hope a few little "support sticks" acting like columns from the bottom of the shelf to the subfloor help you out.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
You should see how the vanity top on my SOB was supported. Or should I say, unsupported!

I hope a few little "support sticks" acting like columns from the bottom of the shelf to the subfloor help you out.
Hi Eric... not a few little support sticks. I used 3/4" plywood in significant widths (with cut-outs to go over piping and furnace conduit) as support "walls" going down to the subfloor. Along the shower side, along the back by the wheel well, on the kitchen side, and at the front in the center. This closet floor won't be collapsing again! Worked out magnificently.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The floor in the bottom of the closet in my Classic 30 is removable to access plumbing, duct work, and to winterize the trailer. It originally did not have enough wooden cleats around the edge to support it. It wood fall through while traveling. When I was at Jackson Center last September they put more wooden cleats in there so it stays put now.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Organizing

The one big problem with organizing is that you lose quite a bit of "pack it in there firmly" space when you do it. Of course being able to pull stuff out without having to move 50 other things is handy too. And of course with the Elfa stuff you can SEE what's in each drawer. Also because you can see everything you don't re-buy anything thinking you've lost the original at the laundromat - or left it on a chair at a rally.

Like your setup. Me, I like hanging storage (girl thing maybe). But there in the back of each closet is six or more inches of unused space. I got some cargo netting and screwed it into the back of the closet... 2 pair of dress shoes which I don't wear often go there. If you fulltime, with your setup, you could put a tabletop ironing board on the side of your closet by the Elfa unit.

(I don't know about your model but the first Airstream I had had the closet floor on hinges - the water heater was underneath and that was how you got to the bypass valves. On the 25's and 27's the water pump is under the closet... I had to work on mine and wished this one had a hinged too. (Sorry to post that idea AFTER you'd screwed it in tightly.)

Anyway enjoy your modified closet. Paula
Old 09-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
m.hony and Paula: There are two access doors beneath the closet doors which open to the water pump, water lines, and furnace conduit. I can still access those items now, after installing the plywood supports under the closet.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Holy cow, GOOD to know! I wonder if they shortcutted like this in the older models?

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Thanks for the heads up. We have Elfa drawers on the right but are just hanging coats on the left side. Will reinforce any way.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
'Furniture disease'... where you 'chest' falls to your drawers...

Glad you found a way to strengthen your 'support' system!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We bought our new 2015 FC this summer. Have been nothing but amazed and disappointed at the poor quality of AS. Previously owned an SOB (Bigfoot) that was so much better. Putting more $$$$ into the AS to try & upgrade and reconstruct. Would never recommend AS to anyone.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Now isn't that interesting. Do you have any idea what type of weight you were carrying before it broke? I'm wondering not because we have a shelving unit in our closet, but we carry a 3-gal bottle of water in that location all the time.
Thanks

Doug