Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Got the tongue replacement metal home safely

After loading up the Jeep and small utility trailer with 1000 pounds of scrap metal this morning and turning it in for cash at the scrap metal yard, I turned around and used the $$ to purchase the 3" x 1.5" x 1/8" thick rectangular tube needed to repair the tongue on my Bambi II. In the end, I only had to spend $15 "of my own money" to purchase 24' of tubing.

The new metal is safely in the barn loft until I get two other trailer projects completed, but I am happy to have made a first step in repairing the AS.

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Ben,
Are you rebuilding existing or replace the whole thing? How far back are going? I had to replace the tongue on my 56, check our thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f92/...-ft-37379.html
for pictures. Good luck and post some pictures of progress.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
It looks like we will have to go back about 72" to get solid metal. The rear bumper looks OK. Tongue on this one is kind of OK, but definitely very rough and rotted through in spots. The new metal will make it all safer than trying to repair what is there. We plan to do it here in the driveway...with an electric mig welder and sawzall. I also bought a new 2" coupler to do the job right.

I had to tow mine home on an equipment trailer...loads of fun getting it on the trailer and then off again at home! What a day!!

Hoping it goes smoothly. Like I said, I have to 13' Scotty projects to finish up before getting on the Airstream, but by midsummer, we should be good to go.

Thanks! Ben
Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Ben,

Keep us posted on your progress.

A (110 volt) flux core welder will most likely not give you the job you need. You need a big daddy welder in the hands of a professional to be safe IMO.

72" sounds about right to get into good metal, you will want to go to the next aft cross member so that you "plate" the new tongue in after you weld the seams.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
The welder will be a good friend and collision repair instructor from the school where I work. He has the propensity to overbuild things! He came over the other week and looked at the damage and said we can do it here...that he has the right equipment and welding supplies to do it right. If we have any doubt when we are finished here in the driveway, it will at least be towable (for a longer distance than it is now!!) and we will most likely take it into school to sure things up a bit more.

I am pleased that I have some resources to help me make the repairs correctly but cheaply so we can spend the $$ on other things! Ben