Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Never Mind

Bad information given
74Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 08:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Re: Got Dropsey?

Quote:
Originally posted by 74Tradewind
After reading all the threads and links about the dreaded "tail droop" I gave my 25' A/S a good look. Lo and behold there is a bulgy-wrinkle just above and behind the right wheel well.

I checked the frame and there is about a 1/2" gap between the body and the top of the frame in the back. I got out my floor jack and tried pushing up on the frame. The frame went up to the body. I went to go inside to seel if anything was amiss and noticed that my door was now nicely flush with the side of the skin. Previously the door was not flush in the area of the top right radius when it was closed.

I want to know if I can weld a length of channel iron alongside the back frame up to the plate where the axel's bolt to. If I do this while the floor jack is in place it should stay after the jack is removed.

Has anyone ever done this type of repair? It's too bad that A/S did not make the frame undersupport full length.

Ciao, Brian

Take it to someome experienced in repair of frames. Just remember if you make it too stiff in one area it may break someplace else.
I have a 73 Ambassador that needs this fixed too. I have cut out a pair of pieces to double the frame back behind the extension the axles bolt too. If you do your own welding all welds should be done at a 45 degree angle and not straight across the channel, don't weld in the corners of the channel. Both sides must be reinforced in the identical manner.
I made 2 pieces from a piece of angle iron.
The angle is cut to match the angle of the factory frame reinforcement that mounts the axles. It also extends forward to the axle since teh frame was damaged in this are due to poory done jacking.
It tapers toward the rear to help prevent stress risers.
If the welder OKs it it will get welded on and then fishplated at the point where the 2 pieces meet just behind the wheelwell.
I posted a photo in an album called "frame repair" on the photo page. Any comments are welcome. This was 2x6x1/4" angle before cutting. 3/16 thick would be thick enough I think.
I am also adding a short flat piece to level the rear jacks since the main piece will cover the mounting holes when installed.
Check for damaged/loose cross members too.
I may eventually reinforce the frame above the axles too.

Dan Phariss
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Photo location

Look in members photos under Dan Phariss.

Dan
Old 06-20-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Brian,
Look in the trailer forum under service bulletins, also I would contact a dealer or the factory and see if they can lend you a hand.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 10:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Dealer might help (I'm 5-600 miles from the nearest). Airstream was a waste of time. They apparently could not find the Service bulletin I wanted (#29 for the reinforcement over the axles) and from the reply there is nothing addressing the bend my frame has in it. They did send the #1 Bulletin though
on bolting the shell/floor back to the frame. Brian will need this one.
#1 is available on Tom Pattersons trailer pages http://www.tompatterson.com/Trailers/Trailers2.html
The #29 is posted on the
Airstream list on Yahoo look under files for Dick Kenan.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AirstreamList/

Dan