Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Full Teardown Required?

Hey everyone...quick question.

I have a 1967 Overlander with a rear bathroom floor that is shot. I plan to rework the floor over the winter. My question is, do I need to completely gut the camper to just put in new decking for the bathroom? The tub doesn't look like it'll fit through the bathroom door/rear bulkhead. How far do I need to gut to make this a doable project?

Tim

Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channeti View Post
Hey everyone...quick question.

I have a 1967 Overlander with a rear bathroom floor that is shot. I plan to rework the floor over the winter. My question is, do I need to completely gut the camper to just put in new decking for the bathroom? The tub doesn't look like it'll fit through the bathroom door/rear bulkhead. How far do I need to gut to make this a doable project?

Tim
Hi Tim, It's best to remove as much as you can and trust me everything that went into the Airstream will come out the door(even the tub). It's how the Airstream was designed. It won't fit through the bulkhead. How much you remove is up to you.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
So you are saying I'll need to pull the rear bulkhead out in order to remove the tub and make space to work on the floor?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
So you are saying I'll need to pull the rear bulkhead out in order to remove the tub and make space to work on the floor?
Yes. And FYI, the bathroom was installed first, then everything was put in after that. You may have to remove the beds and overhead bedroom cabinets to gain enough room to get the bathroom bulkheads out.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Yeh, that is pretty much how I sized up the job....I was hoping someone out there may have had a trick or two up their sleeves. Yuck, my timeline just trippled.

How are the twin beds connected to the floor? The front bed was tied to the floor (or frame) with a fastener I didn't reconize and couldn't loosen...maybe from corrosion. Is a Sawzall the best approach for removing the best frames (front and rear)?

Tim
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Yeh, that is pretty much how I sized up the job....I was hoping someone out there may have had a trick or two up their sleeves. Yuck, my timeline just trippled.

How are the twin beds connected to the floor? The front bed was tied to the floor (or frame) with a fastener I didn't reconize and couldn't loosen...maybe from corrosion. Is a Sawzall the best approach for removing the best frames (front and rear)?

Tim
Hi Tim, Long Phillips head screws on floor and shorter ones on the wall. Yep they might be frozen. Try some penetrating oil and let soak overnight. I had to use a sawzall on a couple screws. Sacrifice the floor and try not to damage the bed frames.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote