Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #161
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I don't know. Did the '64 have the square wheel wells? It also has a straight axle. I'm not convinced it is a '64 Safari. At least we all agree on it being a Safari.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #162
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The axel is a straight one, with some torsion/spring unit on the ends. Looks alot like the 65 Safari I had. Don't remember what the shape was on the wheel wells themselves. The rear compartment drop flap also tags it as a 60's vintage.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #163
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Brett and all - is that a hinged compartment door on the bottom just forward of the bumper? Did that give access to the plumbing? Wish mine had that. Guess I coiuld put one in.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:03 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
It can't be newer then about 67. Look at the windows of the coach in the background. Square windows. 68 they started with the curved side lights.cornning. Also the belly pan at the front started to change around 68 to the stamped corners and by 70 the rear had followed suit (look at vintageairstream.com).

62 might still be conventional springs. Around 63-64 seems to be another mile stone year where several things changed including all had dura flex axles, clear coat, storage area in rear bumper started to appear. 65 the door moved forward on the Safari. In 64 it was right at the wheel well.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:37 AM   #165
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
FF,

The little door opened (drops down) so the sewer hose could snake out. None of the fittings were exposed. Sewer outlet was in rear bumper and handle was in rear door.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:58 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
IT'S BACK ON THE FRAME!

I hurt. Trailer has taken us 7 rounds but we are winning.

Didnt' really have to bad of a time setting it on. Despite my under cutting the the radius of the corners a little had a slight fight but not bad. Ended up having a little extra help and Three of us working sure made the job eaiser.

Trick is to have a couple people with a putty knife on the outside as the shell is being lower to make sure that it doesn't hang on the U-track or belly pan. The body was light enough that we only had to be close. I had the side to side placement off by a couple inches. It was no problem for me by myself to scoot it over.

One of the things I did was to use only screws on the corners for the U-track. No bolts on the raius at all. This was planned and I used 3 times the amout of screws Airstream did. I had the track out just a hair too far. I was able to lower the body to the correct location but it cause a ripple in the radius of the side pannel on the end section. Took the screws loose and with a little "ped percussive adjustment" (I sat on my butt and kicked and pushed the bottom edge of the shell with my heal ) I was able to shift the u-track in some. Lined right up after that and the ripple disappeared.

I warmed up my puzzler and thought about how Airstream assembles these trailers. From photos I have seen of assembly and what I noted when I dissassemble our coach I figured a few things out. What became apparent as I lined everything up is the ends are attached FIRST. The side pannels are definattly the last thing attached.

Need to remeber that the body is as much of the strength as the frame. Once I sat the body down, before I put the first rivet in, I noted that the ends were still a good 3/4-1 1/4 of an inch from being in the proper place when all the ribs where on the floor. What I did is jacked up the bumper till I caused the frame to bow slightly down in the center. I jacked till the end walls were at the correct posisition (about 7 inches). This lifted all the ribs about 1/2 inch up. That's fine because you need to put tension on the end walls to suport the tail.

Once I had both ends where I wanted them I installed all the rivets. I did have to lift the front corners some. Did not seem to be an issue with the U-Track out to far. Looked like the deck had a little sag and possibly a little issue with the frame not being true. Once the corners were up into posisition everthing lined up. I installed the rivets half way around the radius of the corners and stopped.

I then removed the braced holding the front corners up and lowered the jack on the bumper till I cut the distance that the ribs were up off the floor down to about a 1/4 of an inch. Finish riveting the Radius and 1/4-2/3 of the distance to the first rib. I then Lowered the bumper till all the end ribs just made contact to the floor. I still was holding up the bumper by 3-4 inches or so. I then Riveted to the first rib on both ends. At that point lowered the jack till all the ribs made contact to the floor.

Now one thing of note is I had a couple ribs that were a little short from the word go. On those ribs I lowered till the holes from the original rivets through the U-track were lined up. Those sat about a 1/4 inch off the floor. Just the way it came.

When I Valkemed the perimiter I did it from the inside by using a putty knife to lean the u-track back enough to get the nozel wedged in. I also put the caulk in before the body had been lowered the last 1/2 inch. That worked well and almost no Valkem squeezed out the bottom seam but I did have some come out the rivet holes. That let me know I had a good seal.

Should have a couple pictures to add in the next day or so. We were hussling and didn't take as many pictures as we had planned. We were on a fight against the clock. and didn't get the finished riveting to the first rib and Midnight (boy our neighbors love us!).

Even with the rivets down the side wall not installed you can tell a BIG difference in the structure. It's much more solid feel as you walk accross the floor. Before I took the first rivet out the whole body had a shudder due to all the rotten areas in the floor. Really made all the work worth it to see how well it all worked out and how solid the coach now feels.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #167
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Looming

Interesting how you figured out the assembly sequence. I had guessed that the back was attached first, then the sides, finally the front. My theory was that the final attachment would be at the front plate, which could be moved back or forth a 1/2 inch or so to take up slack, before drilling and bolting the plate to the front crossmember.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Looming

Quote:
Originally posted by markdoane
Interesting how you figured out the assembly sequence. I had guessed that the back was attached first, then the sides, finally the front. My theory was that the final attachment would be at the front plate, which could be moved back or forth a 1/2 inch or so to take up slack, before drilling and bolting the plate to the front crossmember.
Well I know the sides were last. The reason I know this is in most of my ribs I had a rivet through the belly pan into the rib (not through the outside wall) I had to shear off or drill out from the inside. When I found that (as I was trying to lift the shell off) I remebered that vintag picture on Airstream.org wit the two guys carring the shell with no side wall installed yet. That tipped me off that the sides were done last.

That front plate is installed sandwiched between the deck and frame so once the deck is down there is no way to move it.

I'm sure Airstream has all sorts of templets and jigs to make sure everything is going to fit perfect so they wouldn't need to make any major adjustment.

Now my U-track at the radius had dents where it was pushed to the outer shell when they bucked the rivets.

All I can say is it worked out great other then having to walk around the outside with the putty knife to make sure the body didn't snag on the belly pan.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #169
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Stupid question time!!!!!!

What are the trailer sizes for the "Fame off" crowd" ? Mine is a 28 footer and I'm wondering if I'm pushing the limit?
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #170
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Sizes?

Mine is a 24' and Toaster is a 22'. Don't think length should be as deterent. Except that most of the longer trailers belong to millionaires that can afford to hire out the restoration work.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #171
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
"belong to millionaires"

Kewl, I'm a millionair. All it took was to buy the right trailer. Hahahah.

Thanks for the lengths. Looks like it will be full steam ahead.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:33 PM   #172
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally posted by till

Rite on bro
You joint the rite club
Old 01-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by till
"belong to millionaires"

Thanks for the lengths. Looks like it will be full steam ahead.
It's fun!. Really it's more of a planning then anything. The most I lifted at any time was 60lb and that was the floor jack when I set it in the door to get ready to jack it up.

Just be sure to cross brace to the inner ribs and lift by those if your going the jack route.