Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Confused in Bham

1964 24' Tradewind
Bellingham , Washington
Front to Back Struts

I'm redoing the plumbing in our '64, and have found that ours has center struts from front to back in the middle of the frame. From some of the photos it seems that not all AS have this 'strengthener'. As is the squares for my holding tanks max out at 30x23.5. Does anyone think that the tanks could be bigger by moving the struts over a few inches? or taken out all together?
-Scott

Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Something I have done to increase the tank holding amount was to install a second tank the other side of the strut. As long as you connect then in such a way as they will drain and have a vent path for the second tank it works fine. You don't have to vent to the roof. Just connection the tops of the 2 tanks will work.

The drain connection will work as the fill method for the second tank, water seeks it's own level.

I would check this out before removing a strut.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Confused in Bham

1964 24' Tradewind
Bellingham , Washington
Thanks HowieE,
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Here is a pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455Small.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	93238

As you can see, I'm going to be needing to weld one already . Would it throw anything off if I move the one just behind the axle to the right a few inches? It would give me the ability to bring in a tank at 35 instead of the thirty that I am currently at.

-S
Old 12-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
Not a problem. Go ahead and do it.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I would disagree with removing them!!! They are there for a reason! They run the entire length to add extra strength to the entire frame, they do this under tension. Think of your frame as a bridge... well these straps are part of the bridge tension system. I would encourage you if you want to move them to place in a water tank you can, as long as you replace the one strap with two straps! Set the two straps equal distant from the center point. You could also criss cross then for even a further strength mod. That is the way "Silver Streak" frames are done!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Take measurement from the center line struts to the outside of the gussets going of the outside of the frame. I think you will see that the struts in question are mainly supports for the center line between the sheets of plywood for the original floor. Moving a few inches should not be a problem a far as frame structure. You may want to lay the sheet of wood that covers that area across the frame rather than along the frame.

If one of the seams, of that sheet, falls in an area that will see human traffic, not just under cabinets, you can glue and screw a 6 in.strip of ply to the underside of the sheet at the edge and glue and screw the next sheet to it. This will support the seam between the plys. Just be careful that you are not directly over the tank and screw into it. if glueing and screwing a strip are not an option there are what are called "H" clips made of sheet metal designed to support seams between plys. maybe a better idea through out the flooring.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote