Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Augier, my frame was in slightly better condition than yours, but it wasn't great. I had a local welder replace the back three cross-members, and one outrigger. Looks like yours needs the same, and perhaps a few more outriggers. As noted by others, your main frame rails appear to be in decent shape, so I think your frame IS repairable.

You also need to figure out why the frame rusted and correct the causes, otherwise you are just treating symptoms which will return. The causes are obvious-- leaks. You need to find them.

Mine were a combination of roof leaks (all corrected before I acquired the trailer) and bathroom leaks. The water leaked in and around the outside and through the rear-bath floor, then got into the insulation and stayed there, rusting out the x-members.

Once you get the new steel in, you will need to prime with the etching primer that is made by the POR15 folks, called "Metal Ready." For the old steel all you need to do is wire-wheel and wire-brush the loose rust off. Then you can paint all of it together. Although I was very pleased with the POR15, keep in mind that there are other systems for frame painting as well, 62Overlander mentioned above the system he used, and he was very happy with it.

For more details on the repairs I made to mine, you can check my blog, linked in my signature below. You'll see that my frame did not look so different compared to yours.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post

This suggests to me that if you are going to do a complete frame off resto of an Airstream you should remove all the interior fittings then lift the fusilage off the frame as a complete unit WITHOUT removing the floor first.

Has anyone tried this.
The main problem I see with this is that in many cases where a complete frame-off resto is required, the floor is splinters at best, and often nothing more than sawdust. Mine was missing huge chunks, and the rest flaked off in your hands easily, so I don't think I could have done it this way. Well, that and the fact that I don't have the facilities for a shell-off restoration.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #23
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Well Folks,
Good news ,very good news .....the frame is fixable, the Channel for the walls is being made and the outriggers are being made as well...I have to pick them up tomorrow afternoon......As far as the frame We are gonna cut the last 3feet off on the left and 2 feet on the rght then use whats called afish mouth to lljoin the new to the old.......new bumper is required can't find an OG looking one so I'm going with two round pipes with a bent radius around the end of it......I'll be posting pics up as soon as I start the work.....

Just think good thoughts and they sometimes come true.....
augier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Getting started on welding

Hi there folks,
I have been working hard to figure of I can weld this on my own or have someone do it for me. I went to my busdy shop ( he builds motorcycles or choppers) he let me work with his welder on some scrap. I did what I knew he gave me some pointers then I got it right perfect welds I guess I did't forget after all well heres a pic of me welding the first of four crossmembers more pics coming some.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Welding crossmember.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	74432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinding welds.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	74433  

Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
See, it wasn't so bad... all that freaking out over nothing... now you have something to tell around the fire.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I can't offer much, but to tell you about a rust converter/sealer I used in the oil patch called OSPHO...it's green, watery, smells like sulfer! Brush it on after you have wirebrushed alot of the big rust off...use a throw way brush or spray bottle and cover it all up and over night it will convert to a form of iron (over my head)...but it will have a hazed look to it the next day and you can then paint it with a good oil paint...pretty good stuff and about 14 or so dollars a gallon depending where you get it. But I swear by it.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Good Job!

Nice job Augier. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
welding almost done

Hi there folks,
I'm almost done with all the welding just a few more spots and I'm reday for paint then the floor ........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tomorrows project.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	74588   Click image for larger version

Name:	new outriggers and crossmembers.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	74589  

Name:	new frame.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	74590   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame joint.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	74591  

Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #29
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Could not save the bumper......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no saving the bumper.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	700.8 KB
ID:	74596  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Looks like you are making some good progress. Are you going to add some plate to further strengthen that splice of the main frame rail? I'd be concerned about stress cracks down the road since that rail is so incredibly structure. Maybe some plate inside and outside bridging that joint a foot or so, kinda like the way the did the axle plate. Just a thought.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #31
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
So the welder at the shop that sold me the metal showed me this reinforcement plate he said its the strongest way to go, the blue is where it will be welded the reds is the size of the plate the two ends are not to be welded otherwise the frame has no strecth and will crack there.....I was thinking of excatly what you said but on top then I would have to do all over so the flooring would be even...thanks for the ideas though evryone has been great ....Just hope somedaw I repay the favor.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame joint2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	74598  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #32
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Finally back to work...

Hi there folks,
I didn't want you to think I gave up so I thought I'd pop in with an update since I had to go back to work for a few days and the weather was crappy now I can finally get back to work....

I have made my templates for the wood floors out of cardboard in the front and like I was told it did match the back end radius as well.. Cardboard seemed easier to use then the masonite template,not that masonite is bad I just thouught a hot glue gun would be less work for me

Also tested out a some of the new mothers polish I found looks good but I still can't figure out how to get those swril marks to go away.....

well enjoy the pics..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cardboard floor template.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	75052   Click image for larger version

Name:	nice and shiny ladder refl..jpg
Views:	103
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	75053  

Name:	Moon shine on outsdie.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	75054   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad swirl marks2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	75055  

Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by augier View Post
Hi there folks,
I didn't want you to think I gave up so I thought I'd pop in with an update since I had to go back to work for a few days and the weather was crappy now I can finally get back to work....

I have made my templates for the wood floors out of cardboard in the front and like I was told it did match the back end radius as well.. Cardboard seemed easier to use then the masonite template,not that masonite is bad I just thouught a hot glue gun would be less work for me

Also tested out a some of the new mothers polish I found looks good but I still can't figure out how to get those swril marks to go away.....

well enjoy the pics..
Don't worry about the polishing yet. You have plenty of other adventures ahead of you. I found that I got a little overwhelmed if I didn't stick with one or two tasks at a time. That was hard for me my wife says I ADD.

As far as "repaying the favor" go camping with us and share your restoration experience is all thats needed. Have fun.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
how to get those swril marks to go away.....
Get yourself a cyclo polisher..~
It's the VERY last word in polishing..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #35
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
funny.....my sister is saying the same thing she wants it out of her driveway.....But I have to wait a little bit on the floor ($$$$) till friday you know what I mean but that sounds good I will defintlly be up for hitting the road and camping ......let see what I can do till then....
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #36
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Swirl marks are the result of coarse polish or dirt on the buffer. The normal polishing process requires polishing several times, each time with finer compound. This is the only way to get a mirror finish on dull aluminum.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augier View Post
Hi there folks,
I'm almost done with all the welding just a few more spots and I'm reday for paint then the floor ........
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
[quote=Augier;663231]I still can't figure out how to get those swril marks to go away.....quote]

There are lots of polishing methods. This site gives a good overview of one. Polishing

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Back to Work

Well Folks,
Im back to work on the floor frame is nearly done just stairs and tounge repair left.....I had to go work for a few weeks on the road and boy does it feel good to be back....

I started to work on the floor where I left off. I made a template from the front which was the only place there was plywood left. I placed the template in the back to see if they had the same radius. It looked good that day that I tried , but now .....I have a 2 1/2 " gap on each side..?

I pushed the floor template all the way back pushing the rear wall into the shape of my ply...

It seems to me when I go to cleco's all of it together I'm going to have a ripple in the side of my airstream...

I have included pics for you guys to look at.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	left side under gap.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	653.8 KB
ID:	76438   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side under.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	640.9 KB
ID:	76439  

Name:	whole back.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	76440   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	76441  

Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Get this..Volkswagen Beetle Convertible tow vehicle~!!
The Only Known Airstream To Use A Magnesium Chassis~!!
that's appropriate to the magnesium block in the Beetles (actually, probably aluminum on that one, looks like a pre-65)
I was wondering about that pic in another thread- cool

Looking great!!
ommuel is offline   Reply With Quote